LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 11 2010

Kassem

IE Should DIE!!!

Hey guys,

Over the past few days my hatred towards IE has increased dramatically! It is just stupid! In addition to differences in how it calculates pixel and percentage values as opposed to other browsers (which I've been suffering from), just check this out:

Internet Explorer:
IE.jpg

Google Chrome:
chrome.png

What am I supposed to do in this case? Find another font or simply use an image?

#2 June 11 2010

kareem_nasser

Re: IE Should DIE!!!

It is like playing a PC game on a normal SDTV LOL.

#3 June 11 2010

Ayman

Yes, IE is a big headache and it really makes you mad many times :S

#4 June 11 2010

kareem_nasser

shouldn't activating your gfx card AA settings manually solve the prob?
Maybe not.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (June 11 2010)

#5 June 11 2010

rolf

IE is made in china.

Just do like me, dont test in IE, lol.
Seriously though, keep your design simple, have a graphic designer do the layout then convert it into tables and/or divs with lots of images. You know, the regular stuff.

If you really want to use new technologies and base your website on that, just filter of IE, redirect to a page saying something like (I saw this somewhere):

Browser incompatibility.

If you were using an advanced browser such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome or Safari, this is what you would have seen
<Insert nice preview image here>

Unfortunately you are seeing this page because you are using Internet Explorer (version XX), which is not compatible with international web standards and the newer technologies used on this website. We are sorry and apologize for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to resolve this issue by clicking on any of the links below to download and install a standards-compliant browser:
- Link..
- Link...
- Link....

Thank you

If only google, or someone like that, pulled a single stunt like that, IE will hit hard! But I don't think this is gonna happen.

Last edited by rolf (June 11 2010)

#6 June 11 2010

Kassem

lol I'm not using "new technologies", I simply used a FONT! a font that comes with the MICROSOFT font package! Seriously, Microsoft should drop IE because a successful company knows when to drop its dogs (refer to BCG Matrix)

#7 June 11 2010

rolf

Kassem wrote:

lol I'm not using "new technologies", I simply used a FONT! a font that comes with the MICROSOFT font package! Seriously, Microsoft should drop IE because a successful company knows when to drop its dogs (refer to BCG Matrix)

It is actually a cash cow because it is high market share but low growth (actually loosing market share). But I dont know if it applies since it is a free product, maybe you can use this matrix if you consider that revenue from IE is in a non-cash form.

#8 June 11 2010

Joe

Microsoft has made it one of their objectives to move users away from IE6 to newer IE8 and soon 9. Not saying that it's going to make it easier on us ...

Anyway, I'd strongly advice that you go 'image' for your logo. It'll be better.

#9 June 11 2010

samer
Admin

use Amelie() to annoy the hell out of IE6 users.

I dug through the IE6 toolkit and found a way to make it annoying to use the browser - the MotionBlur filter. Applied randomly every few seconds, this makes it a very strange experience to use IE6

#10 June 12 2010

Nader.Sleiman

Don't worry, IE usage is being rare nowadays , just consider mainly Opera, Firefox and Google chrome.
FireFox on Linux beats up everything else.

Last edited by Nader.Sleiman (June 12 2010)

#11 June 12 2010

rolf

Nader.Sleiman wrote:

Don't worry, IE usage is being rare nowadays , just consider mainly Opera, Firefox and Google chrome.
FireFox on Linux beats up everything else.

IE usage is regressing, but it still holds the biggest share of the market worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Web_b … _share.svg

As you can see, about 60%, that's a long way from the +/- 90% it  held in 2005!

Last edited by rolf (June 12 2010)

#12 June 12 2010

Kassem

Well that's some good news. I dream of a day where no one on this planet would be stupid enough to use this crappy browser.

#13 June 12 2010

Xsever

IE Should DIE!!!

PERIOD and AMEN !

#14 June 13 2010

Zickar

The only way it would die is if people left it out .... But I heard that IE 8 and the upcoming IE9 are supposed to be on par with the rest pf the browsers

Board footer