LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 July 30 2010

elchebib

Re: iPhone 4.. don't get too excited

arithma wrote:

A4 processor, Retina Display, and Gyroscope sensors got me wanting it badly; but that's just me.

A4 processor is just like any 1 GHz processor you can find on the high end smartphones from HTC and others so that's not a big deal. The Retina Display is interesting and offers the highest resolution that can be found on a mobile but then again, on such a small screen, I can't seem to grasp the practicality of it other than the "wow" factor. The gyroscope is and will most probably be geared towards gaming; again, gaming on a small screen is good for on-the-go gaming. I prefer my console for my big gaming experience.

If anything about media influence,it's the mass advertising from SJ in all modern channels like Internet and TV news that are selling a phone not so revolutionary at all.
The iphone 4 still doesnt have BT transfers but that's all right, it has an antenna problem (reception AND cancer production) but that's all right, it's way overpriced but that's all right, SJ wants us to buy it!!
IOS 4??
Rubbish upgrade,I tried it on my ipod touch 2G and I really didn't see any new stuff,like if BMW restyled a 3 series with putting a yellow light instead of white for fog lamps...
Fanboys will surelly find some ''retouches'' here and there though :)

You're absolutely right about the BT transfers thing. I can't recall how many times I've been asked to transfer a song or a pic from one phone to another only to realize that my iPhone doesn't support BT transfers.
Your 2G iPod Touch will not support all the features of iOS4. Only 3G iPod Touch and later support all the features (including multitasking).

#27 July 30 2010

EddieEC

You can send pics if you download an app called Bump on both phones. Android and iPhones have it as well as others. They don't want bluetooth because they don't want music transfers which will make them lose money from their iTunes store. (one buys the song, sends it to others.)

Plus if you want Multitasking and background, you can jailbreak and edit a .plist file to enable them. Easy as pie. Same way you can transform and iPhone to an iPod touch, by setting "telephony" to false.

Last edited by EddieEC (July 30 2010)

#28 July 30 2010

elchebib

EddieEC wrote:

You can send pics if you download an app called Bump on both phones. Android and iPhones have it as well as others. They don't want bluetooth because they don't want music transfers which will make them lose money from their iTunes store. (one buys the song, sends it to others.)

Plus if you want Multitasking and background, you can jailbreak and edit a .plist file to enable them. Easy as pie. Same way you can transform and iPhone to an iPod touch, by setting "telephony" to false.

Downloading an app to enable BT transfers defeats the purpose of the whole idea behind BT. BT is easy to use and is available on a wide variety of devices. So a phone as expensive as an iPhone should have the tech and ability to allow BT transfers.

As for the protection, there is DRM-free music that you can put on whatever devices you want. And this kind of music is sold by iTunes. So restriciting BT transfers of music is pointless since I can simply send the music file by email. So why not allow it through BT transfers?

And if I agree with your statement about the music protection, why can't I send my pics that I've shot through BT?

#29 July 30 2010

EddieEC

I agree on the pictures, but am on Apple's side in regards of music and videos and movies, since they have a media store, and sharing what one buys to others make them lose money.

#30 July 30 2010

azife

does anyone know the price of the iphone 4 factory unlocked ?

#31 July 30 2010

EddieEC

Lebanon or outside?

#32 July 30 2010

azife

lebanon thanks

#33 July 30 2010

samer
Admin

How much did you have to lash out to get a hold of such a wild beast?

$655

Now I am confused as to which to get: 3GS or 4

Go four, it's worth the investment.

my post deleted again... aw come mon Samer coudn't I just point out the antenna issue with a little sense of humor? ;D

Only in the forum lobby :)

You're absolutely right about the BT transfers thing. I can't recall how many times I've been asked to transfer a song or a pic from one phone to another only to realize that my iPhone doesn't support BT transfers.

Bluetooth is a depricated protocol for file transfers, it's still there for the peripherals. When Apple removed the floppy disk slot from their iMac people thought they are mad; I don't see anyone complaining now.

they don't want music transfers which will make them lose money from their iTunes store

that's a myth, if you want to transfer music you'll find a way. Bluetooth is too slow to be a viable "pirating" tool.

#34 July 30 2010

Kassem

@samer: so how do you transfer files from an iPhone to another? or from an iPhone to some other device?

#35 July 30 2010

J4D

Samer, if i may say, although what you say is totally neat and tidy about apple, deep inside you know that apple is a b*tch. Its their policy to make you buy each iphone that gets to store. By adding the already available options found in other phones, each model at a time and creating the so called flaws, you are nearly forced to get the new model, and the process is repeated with every other product they have! Apple is more of a status/showoff gadget than it is really useful.
My 2bits .

Last edited by jadberro (July 30 2010)

#36 July 30 2010

hj88

samer:  did you do a tax refund to get the 655 $ price ?

Last edited by hj88 (July 30 2010)

#37 July 31 2010

samer
Admin

Kassem wrote:

@samer: so how do you transfer files from an iPhone to another? or from an iPhone to some other device?

Via Wi-Fi (no internet required)

jadberro wrote:

Samer, if i may say, although what you say is totally neat and tidy about apple, deep inside you know that apple is a b*tch. Its their policy to make you buy each iphone that gets to store. By adding the already available options found in other phones, each model at a time and creating the so called flaws, you are nearly forced to get the new model, and the process is repeated with every other product they have!

You are actually implying that they flaw their products on purpose? Most mac users own their machine for years until they move on to another one, so your claim that this applies to other apple products is false. I don't get why it's wrong for a company to give you incentives to upgrade… if they manage to, it means that they actually came up with a better product!

Apple is more of a status/showoff gadget than it is really useful.

It could be a show off gadget for some people, but that's definitely not why a lot of people end up buying it.

We cannot really argue about this until you use an iPhone for at least one week. Until then, you're limited to what your friends told you or your couple of hours of "hands-on" that was more about trying to find its flaws than using it as a phone.

I understand that some people don't like that phone, some of the valid arguments are:
1. its price
2. non free (as in libre) and hence, all the app-store related problems.

What I loathe is when people:

1. Attack the other person for being an Apple enthusiast – it's really not about the other person, but the product.
2. Claim that apple products are nothing but a show of gadget that people buy to be cool.

samer:  did you do a tax refund to get the 655 $ price ?

600+tax, so if I de-tax I'll get $55 back.

#38 July 31 2010

hj88

samer wrote:

may i ask where did you buy it from ?

#39 July 31 2010

EddieEC

He got it from Apple US. Anyways, the prices in Lebanon vary from $1,000, all the way up to $1,500 for the 32 GB model.

#40 July 31 2010

hj88

ah ok i thought it was officially unlocked, because i felt (ma2rout) for paying 630 euro

#41 July 31 2010

samer
Admin

hj88 wrote:
samer wrote:

may i ask where did you buy it from ?

I had to pre-order it, in person, in an Apple retail store (but I guess I could have done it online). They sent me an e-mail 7 days later that my phone is ready and that I had 48 hours to pick it up.

i felt (ma2rout) for paying 630 euro

Note that I got the 16GB model, the 32 GB would have cost around $763 (including tax).

#42 August 2 2010

babum

Kassem wrote:

If im allowed to an opinion, in case you bought a 3g capable phone, i think its faster to just download the song from the net rather than pass through bluetooth (im in no way encouraging piracy, im just saying what else could be done.)

#43 August 3 2010

crazy

Just installed iOS 4.0.1 (was still on the 3.1.3) on my 3gs, just because jailbreak was finally available  haha

Franckly I'm just bored with my iphone, I'm waiting for the N9 (nokia) hopefully it will be as good as rumors say it is, where I'd have meego, dual booting with android, and why not ubuntu :) This is what I call a nice piece of technology

#44 August 3 2010

samer
Admin

crazy wrote:

Just installed iOS 4.0.1 (was still on the 3.1.3) on my 3gs, just because jailbreak was finally available  haha

Franckly I'm just bored with my iphone, I'm waiting for the N9 (nokia) hopefully it will be as good as rumors say it is, where I'd have meego, dual booting with android, and why not ubuntu :) This is what I call a nice piece of technology

The Nokia N9 seems pretty cool – any idea on the release price?

#45 August 3 2010

crazy

samer wrote:

The Nokia N9 seems pretty cool – any idea on the release price?

No samer, nothing leaked yet. A prototype was thought to be the N9 which turned out to be C7 I think. Until now, the only rumor is that the OS will be MeeGo.

Board footer