LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 26 2010

ck

iPhone 4.. don't get too excited

so i've read a lot of posts here about people saying that they're waiting for the iPhone 4G to be released...

however according to the leaked iPhone on gizmodo, the 4G uses micro-sim cards and not regular sim cards... which means that you can't fit mtc touch or alfa's sim into it! and i highly doubt that mtc or alfa will make them customized for people with hacked iphones..

what do you think?

#2 May 26 2010

elchebib

Re: iPhone 4.. don't get too excited

You can convert a regular SIM to a Micro easily:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/06/how- … e-and-som/

Last edited by elchebib (May 26 2010)

#3 May 26 2010

Aly

Let's have 3G in Lebanon and I will be graceful for at least 20 years

#4 May 26 2010

elchebib

Aly wrote:

Let's have 3G in Lebanon and I will be graceful for at least 20 years

Now that I can't argue with.....

#5 May 26 2010

kareem_nasser

And after 5 years we'll want 5G, trust we are Lebanese after all. ;)

#6 July 29 2010

mezin

makes you wonder why they didn't start making micro sims right away ...

#7 July 29 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

Iphone 4 has a big problem of antenna's position too.
Let's wait further productions

#8 July 29 2010

Kassem

so far all I've read about the iPhone 4G is that it's a bunch of troubles. I recommend you wait for another release or at least until they fix the antenna issue.

#9 July 29 2010

cnicolaou

I wouldn't be too worried about the antenna issue.

SJ proved that the problem existed on previous handsets during his keynote and it's quite obvious that the media wants a story to milk (Gizmodo).

According to sales numbers, iPhone 4 is the most successful handset that Apple has made, still without international launch and the white case.

#10 July 29 2010

EddieEC

iPhone 4 is probably the most successful device launch in the world.

#11 July 29 2010

elchebib

cnicolaou wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried about the antenna issue.

SJ proved that the problem existed on previous handsets during his keynote and it's quite obvious that the media wants a story to milk (Gizmodo).

According to sales numbers, iPhone 4 is the most successful handset that Apple has made, still without international launch and the white case.

And as end user, I'm really disappointed how they handled that. I mean, they didn't acknowledge that the phone has reception problems, but they went ahead and flat out displayed the fault of others. In my opinion, this was arrogant from them and they should have apologized and went ahead and fixed the problem. For a phone that's expensive (~700 USD), they should have paid more attention to their antenna engineering. Either that or their field tests were poorly done at best.

#12 July 29 2010

Kassem

elchebib +1

And don't forget that it doesn't run Flash content... :)

#13 July 29 2010

cnicolaou

Actually, that's not true.

They acknowledged that there was a problem with reception and that it was not unique to iphones.

Check this out: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com … rm-eng.jpg

You can read the full press conference here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live … onference/

Do you think an apology would make them less arrogant?

Anyway, it is up to the end users to judge.

"The iPhone 4 is perhaps the best product we've ever made at Apple. We've sold well over 3 million since we launched it 3 weeks ago. It's been judged the number 1 smartphone" Steve Jobs

#14 July 29 2010

cnicolaou

Kassem wrote:

Oh darn, don't get me started on Flash

#15 July 29 2010

Kassem

cnicolaou wrote:
Kassem wrote:

Oh darn, don't get me started on Flash

Save it, we've already discussed this issue over and over again.

#16 July 29 2010

samer
Admin

I have owned an iPhone 4 for a few days now, never dropped a call. I'm left-handed, the worst thing was that I lost one bar (big deal) and I'm not using a case. Reception on the iPhone 4 has been better than my Curve 8900 (3 bars vs 1 bar) but that depends on how they visually represent the signal.

so far all I've read about the iPhone 4G is that it's a bunch of troubles. I recommend you wait for another release or at least until they fix the antenna issue

I don't blame you for being influenced by the media, I had the same impression until I talked to people who actually own it and saw how it behaved in my own eyes. I then bought one myself and never had a problem. Also, have you seen the screen on that phone?!

#17 July 29 2010

cnicolaou

Congrats Samer, i envy you.

#18 July 29 2010

arithma

How much did you have to lash out to get a hold of such a wild beast?
Now I am confused as to which to get: 3GS or 4

#19 July 29 2010

Raficoo

my post deleted again... aw come mon Samer coudn't I just point out the antenna issue with a little sense of humor? ;D

i`m still looking for a phone to replace my N-95 8GB, would have considered the iphone4, but i got a crazy upgrade mind in such a sense that whenever i wanna buy a new phone, it has to be superior to my current phone in everyway(processer, RAM, Camera, Hard Drive), so i guess im gonna have to wait a while ;/

#20 July 29 2010

hj88

it cost 630 euro in france but it is on preorder now.

i bought it (1 month ago ) with the bumper 30 euro, and i got refunded today the price of the bumper .

The iphone 4's signal is much better than my old iphone, i can recieve signal in places i never recieved before .

The problem of the antenna can be seen on a 3g network ( lebanon has a 2g network )
+ you have to hold it in the left hand in the lower part
+ you have to be in a somehow low signal area
+ you have to keep holding it for a while before the supposed call drop

arithma : dont buy the 3gs unless you can buy it for 500 or less , wait a bit for the iphone 4 price to drop in lebanon

#21 July 29 2010

Kassem

Raficoo wrote:

my post deleted again... aw c`mon Samer coudn`t I just point out the antenna issue with a lil sense of humor? ;D

i`m still looking for a phone to replace my N-95 8GB, would have considered the iphone4, but i got a crazy upgrade mind in such a sense that whenever i wanna buy a new phone, it has to be superior to my current phone in everyway(processer, RAM, Camera, Hard Drive), so i guess im gonna have to wait a while ;/

What about the Nokia N8?

#22 July 29 2010

rolf

I dont know what's with the media, maybe they have a problem with Steve Jobs. I did read the terrible articles, I expected the iPhone to be a terrible mistake with buyers trying to return it, but then I read some review from actual, regular users, and it seems any of them barely noticed the antenna problem, and some actually boasted that they finally succeeded - after some effort - in causing some signal loss, in some location, by holding it in a particular way.
After reading that, I kind of disregarded all the cheap "journalism" that was going around the iPhone 4G.
It looks gorgeous! But I dont think it is a revolutionary device, and I doubt the new look justifies the added cost, not to me anyway! I'd be glad if I got a 3G or 3GS. Or even a 2G, heck, as long as apps work on it.

#23 July 30 2010

arithma

A4 processor, Retina Display, and Gyroscope sensors got me wanting it badly; but that's just me.

#24 July 30 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

If anything about media influence,it's the mass advertising from SJ in all modern channels like Internet and TV news that are selling a phone not so revolutionary at all.
The iphone 4 still doesnt have BT transfers but that's all right, it has an antenna problem (reception AND cancer production) but that's all right, it's way overpriced but that's all right, SJ wants us to buy it!!
IOS 4??
Rubbish upgrade,I tried it on my ipod touch 2G and I really didn't see any new stuff,like if BMW restyled a 3 series with putting a yellow light instead of white for fog lamps...
Fanboys will surelly find some ''retouches'' here and there though :)

#25 July 30 2010

cnicolaou

Oh you're doing it wrong if i may say and you're missing the whole point

vegetaleb wrote:

Rubbish upgrade, I tried it on my ipod touch 2G and I really didn't see any new stuff, like if BMW restyled a 3 series with putting a yellow light instead of white for fog lamps...

Would you pay $700 for an HD cam with the ability to edit movies straight from the device? Seriously, that's only ONE feature on the iphone 4.

Here's a link to more features: http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/ to check how the BMW 3 series has evolved into a Hamann BMW 5 Series

Last edited by cnicolaou (July 30 2010)

Board footer