LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 6 2010

Leonedes

Is Blackberry Bold 9700 worth buying ?

Hey there =)

I'm just wondering if Blackberry Bold 9700 is worth buying, since it got released like almost a year ago, should i wait for the new one to come out ? The thing is, there is completely no evidence of any new one coming out any time soon, so what do you guys think i should do ?

PS* I want to subscribe to the service.

#2 May 6 2010

kareem_nasser

Re: Is Blackberry Bold 9700 worth buying ?

My 11 year old student has one so used it but i hate mobiles so i hated that too nothing interesting like same as the iPad. I have found out that the OS is somehow similar to the Symbian.

#3 May 6 2010

battikh

it's one of the best blackberries...
halla2 you have few things you should take into consideration:
1- Blackberry OS 6 will be released soon and not all devices will get the update. The only 2 devices for which it has been confirmed that they will get it are the Bold 9700 and the Storm 2. For all the others it's still a question mark. So if you're planing to go for something other than the Bold, wait a bit till things get clearer.

2- The main differences between the Bold and the Curve (the new one), are mainly that 3G and GPS are available on the Bold while they are not on the curve. If you're in Lebanon you wont get anything from a 3G enabled phone, so that leaves you with GPS. How important is it for you?

3- How important are the looks of the phone for you? Coz the Bold is one damn sexy phone, and much better built than the curve, the curve looks like plastic (well, it IS plastic ) while the bold is very classy, shiny, leather on the back, ...

Overall, the 9700 is great, but it's much more expensive than the curve for not so much extra features (assuming that OS 6 will be available for both, which it might not), so it all comes to how important the extra things that the bold bring are for you.

#4 May 6 2010

Leonedes

Ok i guess no one understood my question, im not getting a blackberry other than the Bold, the question is ... Should i wait for a newer one to come out ?!

#5 May 6 2010

kareem_nasser

So this doesn't include me.

#6 May 6 2010

battikh

mark.assad wrote:

Ok i guess no one understood my question, im not getting a blackberry other than the Bold, the question is ... Should i wait for a newer one to come out ?!

the only newer bold that is coming out soon is the 9700 white
so if you want it in white, wait, if you want it black, no need to wait.

if they want to release a new bold (if they will keep on using that name), it will not be before 1 more year.
and note that "bold" is just a name, it's just branding. some devices were supposed to be released as curve and then got released as bold, the name is just for marketing reasons.

#7 May 6 2010

Leonedes

hmm ..i want to buy the latest most advanced blackberry, and your saying that is currently the bold and they wont release a better one until next year or so correct?

When approx next year ? and how better do u think it would be ?

Cause heres the thing, im getting the phone for my first year at uni next fall, but my phone has been f**in up recently so i thought of buying it now, but i will subscribe to the service around October.  So is it really worth waiting till october to get a newer phone and subscribe to the service at the same or should i just get bold now and subscribe next year ?

#8 May 6 2010

battikh

^^
you have 2 best of the best in BB, the Bold 9700 and the Storm 2. They both come with all the specs available.
I personally moved from Storm to the Bold 9700 and didn't regret it a second. Typing is much much easier and faster on the Bold. But if you're into gaming, watching movies and the fun factor of using a touchscreen, Storm could be a good choice.

Halla2 there is a new "bold" coming out, the 9650, but it's pretty much the same specs as the 9700 with CDMA (probably for the US market). And it was initially a Perl, but got rebranded as a Bold at the last minute.

As for a real new Bold, there are no leaks yet, it's just speculations. Enno between the Bold 9000 and the Bold 9700 there was around 1 year and a half/ 2 years, so probably around the same will happen for the 9700 and the next Bold. And as there's nothing concrete, there are no kind of leaks about probable specs, it's all simple speculations.

#9 May 7 2010

Leonedes

khalas ill just get the bold 9700, and the 9650 was supposed to be a Tour not a pearl i think.
I stay away from touchscreens because i tend to keep cellphones for a long time, and well lets face it, touchscreens dont really last.

#10 May 7 2010

Leonedes

btw is 500$ a good price ?  -> I know a guy who knows a guy 
New and completly genuine..
The BB store is selling it at 650$ o.O and Class is selling it 620$ and somehow somewhy a place in Le Mall is selling it for 520$ >_>

#11 May 7 2010

kareem_nasser

My student got it for about 437 or 347 i dont remember but i will ask him tomorrow if you want and from where did he get it.

#12 May 7 2010

Cyril

mark.assad wrote:

btw is 500$ a good price ?  -> I know a guy who knows a guy 
New and completly genuine..
The BB store is selling it at 650$ o.O and Class is selling it 620$ and somehow somewhy a place in Le Mall is selling it for 520$ >_>

Try buying it from outside Lebanon.
I bought my 9000 over a year ago for a good price when here in Lebanon it was being sold for 600-500$.

#13 May 7 2010

Leonedes

Thanks Kareem!

Well Cyril "outside Lebanon" is a big place  Can you be more specific ?
Btw I checked the Duty Free in Lebanon, it is selling around 500 so no use there.

#14 May 7 2010

kareem_nasser

lol how did my student get it for lets say even $437?

#15 May 7 2010

Leonedes

I have no idea .. maybe he got it used when it was still even more expensive ?
I also called a place that sells bel jemleh in Beirut, known to be the cheapest in Lebanon, they told me 490$

#16 May 8 2010

Cyril

mark.assad wrote:

Thanks Kareem!

Well Cyril "outside Lebanon" is a big place  Can you be more specific ?
Btw I checked the Duty Free in Lebanon, it is selling around 500 so no use there.

US usually, through eBay or any other online buying service.
Check the prices out.

#17 May 8 2010

battikh

halla2 you also have the 9800 coming out soon, it's a touchscreen (without SurePress) + slider (so it has a full hardware qwerty keyboard), but not my taste... until now, it will be branded as a bold.
you can check some leaked pics and videos online...

Last edited by battikh (May 8 2010)

#18 May 8 2010

kareem_nasser

Today my students arent at home so I'll go tomorrow sorry.

#19 May 9 2010

Leonedes

a33 battikh, you just made my day harder!

Should I wait for 9800 Bold or should i just get 9700 ? :(

I previously said i dislike touch screens because they dont last a long time, but this one has a qwerty keyboard so the device is not mainly focused on touch technology.
Now im completely LOST.

Will it come out before october?
By how much would it be more expensive than the Bold 9700, if lets say the 9700 is for 500$ ?

#20 May 11 2010

kareem_nasser

Sorry for being late in my answer but i didn't go to my students last weekend so today i asked him and he said $361 from Virgin Mega Store. He is 11 years old so i think you should ask more even though the keypad is different a bit, so excuse my hate to phones here.

#21 May 11 2010

Leonedes

kareem i think he has a curve

#22 May 11 2010

EddieEC

Yeah Kareem, the curve is sold for $200-$300 price range. I got my bold the minute it was released for $600, but it has T-Mobile on it, but it functions very well in Lebanon with the service.
But the bold 9700 goes around $450-$550 so don't buy it from the expensive shops.
The 9800 looks great. I like it.

Last edited by EddieEC (May 11 2010)

#23 May 11 2010

kareem_nasser

Yup he does i checked it, as you know i hate Phones.

#24 May 11 2010

TheIlluminative

kareem_nasser wrote:

My 11 year old student has one so used [...]

kareem_nasser wrote:

My student got it for about 437 or 347[...]

kareem_nasser wrote:

lol how did my student get it for lets say even $437?

kareem_nasser wrote:

Today my students arent at home so I'll go tomorrow sorry.

kareem_nasser wrote:

Sorry for being late in my answer but i didn't go to my students [...]

Sra3tna Fe

#25 May 12 2010

Leonedes

indeed 

hmm :/ so you think i should wait for the 9800 to see if it is worth it? think it will be out before october ?

AS you can see im very undecided

Board footer