LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 5 2010

kareem_nasser

Upgrading my HDD

My MB is D865GBF her is a link to Intel they say it can take a SATA but through the research i have done it seems it is only SATA 1.5Gbits/sec all i need is some practical experience to tell me the best i should get for my old PC.(should i consider the Cache?)
Also if someone can tell me about Backing up my old HDD data fully so i wont need to install everything again on the new HDD or this will lead to some major fragmentation or corrupt sectors.
The HDD size i want is actually nothing because m pc can handle stuff so 80GB is enough or 120 if possible.
For more in for my PC specs are Here.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (May 5 2010)

#2 May 6 2010

Georges

Re: Upgrading my HDD

Consider buying a new PC.
This way you are wasting your money on an old PC that eventually should be renewed at a certain point.
If money is the problem, just wait for the moment. get a reasonable amount of money and buy a new PC.

#3 May 6 2010

Kassem

Totally agree with Yorgi... Do not waste your money fixing something that is broken (well not exactly broken but you get the point). Just wait for a little while and buy some powerful PC with an i7 Quad Core and 8GB of DDR3 and some power graphics card especially cuz you're a gamer.

#4 May 6 2010

julien_saadeh

HDD upgrade is not an actual upgrade cause it will be needed now or later.

I advise you to get a large hard disk. Your motherboard supports SATA and any SATA (1 or 2) hard disk will work on it.

I don't recommend you to move your data off your old HDD. Instead, make it as a whole 40GB partition and put Windows 7 on it. It is fast enough to boot. The new HDD will be for your own Data.

I can do the job for you for a small fee (cause I'm a freelancer at repairing and maintaining computer software and hardware).

Cheers

#5 May 6 2010

Flakk

I just dont get it why people always tell the users who are asking for hardware advice to buy a new PC. He clearly asked about advice on Buying a new Hard-disc.
Anyways HDDs come cheap today with a budget of 50$ you can buy a Western Digital with more than 320gb of space

As stated in your board datasheet your motheboard supports 2 SATA connectors.
So i recommend you to buy a 320GB 7200RPM S-ATAII  for $44.00 (taken from pcandparts) or anything similar.
Reminder that you Mobo has SATA connectors not SATAII (in which the new HDD is sata2) but you dont have to worry because the SATA2 connectors are backwards compatible with SATA and should work fine (though not at their full transfer speed)

With that out of the way, if you want to transfer all your data from your old HDD to the other i recommend to use the Symantec Ghost Boot 2004. Its a bootable disc that lets you transfer all of the files from one disc to another with no missing files or any. Just simple copying and pasting everything.

I think its still found at stores or Computer stores and the setup is easy. Only recommend you to get the 2004 edition, as the later ones arent as reliable as this one.

OR another solution.
Keep your 40Gig HDD for windows Page file and add another new HDD to your SATA for file storage. Its easier and less time consuming.

Last edited by Flakk (May 6 2010)

#6 May 6 2010

kareem_nasser

Thank you everyone but Flakk got me right becasue he knows i am gonna buy a new PC and the specs of it, it will cost me about $1200. So i planned for everything but i want to ensure that this PC wont die on me becasue if you see the CPU it is like it had been buried in a grave for years i think it has a prob with fetching data from a bad sectored and highly fragmented HDD, so i want to start with the HDD and maybe if i don't buy the new PC may upgrade the CPU to a 3.0GHz.
P.S: My HDD has been on my old P2 PC 9 years ago and also on this one too.

My new PC's specs are :

MB: X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 2.66 (920)
Physical RAM: between 4GB to 6 GB DDR3
Graphics card: NVIDIA GT 260 with 1 GB GDDR3 (or ATI HD 5000 series)
HDD: 1 TB
Disc Drive: DVD-RAM 22x light scribe (LG)
Screen: LCD preferably Samsung 17’’
PSU: 500W

#7 May 6 2010

Kassem

Very close to what I'll be buying this summer... except I might bump up the RAM to 8GB DDR3 and the screen to 22". I do not need a 1TB HDD but why not? The MB (X58) is awesome, I've read about it before. Basically what matters to me the most is the MB (should allow for future upgrades), a powerful CPU (nothing less than i7) and lots of RAM (Adobe products and Visual Studio are VERY resource consuming - you know that already).

By the way, where are you going to buy it from?

Last edited by Kassem (May 6 2010)

#8 May 6 2010

kareem_nasser

Thats why it is taking me much time but i was able to ask about its price yet i am considering GCC or somewhere in that area(Sin El Fil) the stores there are good even though i didnt like GCC much for reasons i cant state here(just think how Lebanese do business). As for the MB i want it for the same reasons i got the PS3 becasue they are future proof(for example:Blu-ray).
check this man or this

Last edited by kareem_nasser (May 6 2010)

#9 May 6 2010

Flakk

I also had a similar setup in mind.
But i was thinking in getting a non-Intel motherboard for overclocking purposes. Since Intel manufactured motherboards are harder to overclock maybe, and i want to try overclocking for at least once so i can learn about it. (never done it before)
But i know im gonna need a nifty cooling system inside my case. So ill probably dump that and get the Intel X58 with an I7 a good powersupply, ram and a new video card.

#10 May 6 2010

kareem_nasser

Same here i never overclocked before but i wont sacrifice my money.

I don't recommend you to move your data off your old HDD. Instead, make it as a whole 40GB partition and put Windows 7 on it. It is fast enough to boot. The new HDD will be for your own Data.

rofl my PC cant handle it....

But i liked Julien and Flakk's second opinion.
guys: does having a primary HDD as IDE or PATA(40GB) and secondary SATA1.5Gb/sec have any conflicts.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (May 6 2010)

Board footer