LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 17 2010

kareem_nasser

A question for Engineers on Lebgeeks.com

My question is about the difference between Vector and superscalar processors?
Of course they differ in programming but are we gonna see them on PCs?

#2 April 21 2010

Flakk

Re: A question for Engineers on Lebgeeks.com

The Scalar Processors are the ones found in PC's today. No ?

#3 April 21 2010

kareem_nasser

Yup i know these stuff the ps3 has 7 SPE or vector processors and one SuperScalar but i meant the difference...it seems no one here knows.

#4 April 21 2010

Flakk

#5 April 21 2010

J4D

The difference is easy to understand , ill give you an example .

assuming you don't know anything about programming ; i have a program that needs to both multiply a*b and divide C/D .

in a scalar(most popular processor) works by the FIFO principle "first in first out" . so naturally its going to multiply a*b and dump them the result in a separate cell , then divide C/D and dump the result in another separate cell .

while in vector processors , its able to process two or more simultaneous orders and processes them at the same time . it can do that as long as one condition is satisfied , the variable being worked with needs to be available and not in use , in order to not create data loss or false data . so  A/B A*B will be worked with on a scalar processor the same thing they are going to be dealt with on a vector . another added advantage is that in vector processing there is no time lost to read , fetch , decode data . it does it once then react according to all operands . while in a scalar it reads , fetches , then decodes for every single operand .

any questions class ?

#6 April 21 2010

kareem_nasser

thnx Flakk i already read them but they are for programmers.
So Jad explained it meaning that Vector pressecors are best suited for Heavy loads like gfx and Superscalar for for general purpose.thnx Jad...

#7 April 22 2010

Flakk

Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited by Flakk (April 22 2010)

#8 April 22 2010

kareem_nasser

But dont think Jad ever worked in Vector processors a lot. PS3 has the SPEs which are Vector processors.

Board footer