LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 10 2010

Nemesis-301

Help!!! I think I burned my VGA......

ok, my computer was working fine but then I took a dvdrw from another computer and connected it with my new computer but just as I put the power supply in the dvdrw, my computer screen went black(I know I'm not supposed to do anything when the computer is on...)I turned it off and on many times but it was still black.... then I took the (fishe) from my vga and put it in the built-in vga and the screen came on but no vga.....
of course the resolution was down to 640X480 and it was as if there is no vga in my computer... but the fan on my vga is turning....I tried reinstalling the drivers but it doesnt install, it says "your computer did not detect any hardware compatible with the software, setup will now abort"....

so did I really ruin my VGA ?!?!?

btw my VGA is a 1gb 9500gt...

Last edited by Nemesis-301 (April 10 2010)

#2 April 10 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Re: Help!!! I think I burned my VGA......

Nemesis-301 wrote:

I took a dvdrw from another computer and connected it with my new computer but just as I put the power supply in the dvdrw

umm no comment

Nemesis-301 wrote:

my computer screen went black

Nemesis-301 wrote:

so did I really ruin my VGA ?!?!?

that thank God your whole computer didn't brake if i where you i wouldn't be surprise if anything goes wrong after this ! , anyway i would suggest two things , if you still have warranty run for it  , if not try to test the vga with a different board maybe your PCI slot is the one that was burned !

#3 April 10 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

and just a note if you have two pci slots , swap the card with the other slot maybe it could work , and try to use a different power cable for the card

#4 April 10 2010

Nemesis-301

Aj_BlaZ wrote:

and just a note if you have two pci slots , swap the card with the other slot maybe it could work , and try to use a different power cable for the card

no I only have 1, but I'm gonna do what you said and take the vgawith me to my friends and try it there...

#5 April 10 2010

kareem_nasser

This happened to me once because i installed the gfx card inverted and i screwed the VGA cable good and the prob was solved, are you sure about your pc specs GDDR, PCE-e,.....

#6 April 10 2010

rolf

Maybe a power issue. Try disconnecting all you can from the PSU. Check connections. If that dont work, try your VGA on another computer (and another monitor too). Make sure it has enough power and the auxiliary power is connected, if there is one. If that doesnt work either then it's probably good for disposal.

Last edited by rolf (April 10 2010)

#7 April 10 2010

julien_saadeh

When the screen went black, did the computer shut itself off? or it stayed on?

#8 April 10 2010

Nemesis-301

kareem_nasser wrote:

This happened to me once because i installed the gfx card inverted and i screwed the VGA cable good and the prob was solved, are you sure about your pc specs GDDR, PCE-e,.....

yeah I'm sure, its a g31 motherboard it supports it...it was working...

#9 April 10 2010

Nemesis-301

julien_saadeh wrote:

When the screen went black, did the computer shut itself off? or it stayed on?

the computer stayed on as if nothing happened...

#10 April 10 2010

julien_saadeh

That shouldnt happen. It may have been a coincidence because if you plug in the power cable in the CD-ROM, it doesnt have to do with the motherboard or VGA at all, unless your VGA has a power plug too! Does it?

#11 April 10 2010

Nemesis-301

julien_saadeh wrote:

That shouldnt happen. It may have been a coincidence because if you plug in the power cable in the CD-ROM, it doesnt have to do with the motherboard or VGA at all, unless your VGA has a power plug too! Does it?

nope no power plug...

#12 April 10 2010

julien_saadeh

It may be a hard luck for you. Try reseating it in the slot. Or try it somewhere else and tell us what happens.

#13 April 10 2010

Flakk

You could try installing another video card, if you have any spare video card lying around. Try it to see if the the problem is not from vid card itself. If that dosint work its either your mobo or the PCI slot that is causing the problem.
If it works then its the video card that is fried.  You can also try your own video card on another PC.

Last edited by Flakk (April 10 2010)

#14 April 10 2010

kareem_nasser

Also you need to press it good to the slot really hard then screw it.

#15 April 10 2010

julien_saadeh

kareem_nasser wrote:

No... not really hard, he would break the motherboard .
Just make sure you don't see any pins out of the slot.

#16 April 10 2010

kareem_nasser

lol mine is an old FX5500 AGP card i had to push it hard.

#17 April 11 2010

Nemesis-301

kareem_nasser wrote:

WOAH!!! I cant believe you were right it actually worked it turned out that it wasnt in place correctly!!!! I'm so happy =D

#18 April 11 2010

kareem_nasser

your welcome and thank my stupid oooold PC for that it gave me the experience.

Board footer