LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 April 23 2010

rolf

Re: Google Android

I like the iPhone. It's just too damn expensive. And heavy.
Plus it's getting kinda old.

Last edited by rolf (April 23 2010)

#27 April 23 2010

crazy

You guys talking about bbm and such. New apps are coming that makes bbm a bit useless (whatsapp for instance, you can chat from blackberry to iphone) other apps like pMessenger or Cnectd which are in development phase say that they will be multliplatform (as in for all smartphones).

Jailbreak the iphone and its 100 times better to use, having access to the console of the linux machine behind this way too static screen is a nice thing to have ^^

I wonder if it would be a nice idea if ubuntu made a version for mobile, that would be something interesting (maybe android is this ubuntu mobile version, I never tried it yet)

One last thing, soon you'll be able to port android to your iphone as a dual boot, so you will be able to have both os on the same device (a bit like nokia n900).

#28 April 23 2010

EddieEC

The iPhone is a good smartphone, especially when OS4 lands. What is powerful on the iPhone is its App store.

#29 April 23 2010

Kassem

@ EddieEC: you mean the monopolized App store :)

#30 April 24 2010

EddieEC

@ Kassem whatever you call it, you can't deny this fact.

#31 April 26 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

Lebanese people are ''followers''
They follow a mode, in 2008 it was ''Oh dude go and get an iphone'' so 90% of Lebanese went and bought an iphone, in 2009 it was ''Oh dude go and get a bb'' so 90% of Lebanese went and bought a bb...2010?
Poor nokia fanboys they are totally forgotten in 2 years :)
Android OS is not yet popular in Lebanon (but will be) because the reaction of some guys is the same as when a new Windows OS comes out on PC: when XP was out they used to say ''oh xp is nothing good as 98'' then when vista came out ''oh vista is nothing good as xp'' then later ''of W7 is nothing good as vista'' and so on...
Non-professional people and followers are the big majority of the Lebanese (look at politics) that's why a superb phone like Nexus One/Desire are not yet popular but when a bunch of ''snobs'' will be seen using them then all the ''cha3b'' will bring them ;)

#32 April 26 2010

xterm

vegetaleb wrote:

Lebanese people are ''followers''
They follow a mode, in 2008 it was ''Oh dude go and get an iphone'' so 90% of Lebanese went and bought an iphone, in 2009 it was ''Oh dude go and get a bb'' so 90% of Lebanese went and bought a bb...2010?
Poor nokia fanboys they are totally forgotten in 2 years :)
Android OS is not yet popular in Lebanon (but will be) because the reaction of some guys is the same as when a new Windows OS comes out on PC: when XP was out they used to say ''oh xp is nothing good as 98'' then when vista came out ''oh vista is nothing good as xp'' then later ''of W7 is nothing good as vista'' and so on...
Non-professional people and followers are the big majority of the Lebanese (look at politics) that's why a superb phone like Nexus One/Desire are not yet popular but when a bunch of ''snobs'' will be seen using them then all the ''cha3b'' will bring them ;)

I bet you follow the google trend.

#33 April 26 2010

Kassem

@ vegetaleb: 90% of the Lebanese? I do more than 15% of the Lebanese have enough money to buy an iPhone. At that time I was interested in buying an iPhone, but currently after Steve Jobs stupid decisions I doubt I'll ever buy an iPhone, unless Apple does major changes to its policies.

#34 April 26 2010

Bassem

I'm waiting for the HTC EVO 4G. We don't have 4G here, but the phone itself is incredible.

It's basically an HTC HD2 but with Android 2.1, and HTC's Sense UI laid on top.

Or I might get a Windows Phone 7... phone. (stupid name.) That UI is just yummy, and I'm already in the PC ecosystem. But I'd rather wait until it's released (end of year) and the reviews start coming in.

Currently I own a Sony Ericsson G900 smartphone. Weak processor, obsolete OS (UIQ3), but otherwise surprisingly capable. Microsoft Office, Wi-Fi, even an OCR image-to-text scanner...

#35 April 26 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

I am not a follower but a tech lover, Android has the best of the iphone world + full BT, customisations, widgets...
The new trend in the US is the ipad and the future iphone 4g not N1, but the real tech lovers preffer Android

#36 April 29 2010

zamesdin

The best Android applications were easier to find when there were only a few major applications to choose from. Now there are desires, droids, and some sparks Nexus amazing applications in the Android Market. These are the top 60 Android applications. We have added new entries in our previous decisions and trimmed the fat to make an incredible list of applications that we think most users appreciate.

#37 May 17 2010

sayo9394

Bassem wrote:

I'm waiting for the HTC EVO 4G. We don't have 4G here, but the phone itself is incredible.

U can't be serious? it's like buying a Ferrari, but there's no road to drive it on! don't worry about 4G, you don't even have 3G in lebanon!! it'll be completely useless!
But again, you'll have a cool phone (actually the best phone, and 1st 4G phone) and that will give u bragging rights.

Mate just look at the HTC incredible, or HTC Desire (Nexus1 with htc's sense UI)

#38 May 17 2010

sayo9394

samer wrote:

Beleive me Android 2.1 blows out iphone/bb/nokias... it's like compairing a PS3 with nintendo NES

You will probably need to back up that statement with good arguments, because all I've seen from the Android thus far is nothing impressive.

hehehehe you got to be kidding me! nothing impressive?

- i guess selling 65K android phones a day is not impressive (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/g … _every_day)
- Being the first phones support 1GHz snapdragon CPU is not impressive (Nexus1, HTC Desire, HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S)
- Being a complete OPEN SOURCE OS free for all manufacturers to use is not at all impressive (developer.android.com)
- HTML 5 and Adobe Flash light support! now why should this be impressive, after all iPhone doesn't support flash so that shouldn't be impressive.
- Multiple Gmail Account handling!? Meh.. broing (http://developer.android.com/sdk/androi … ights.html)
- Free development tools and support to Developers! so not impressive... developers should be treated the way apple treat it's developers...

maybe you should do some research to back up such statement!

#39 May 17 2010

samer
Admin

- i guess selling 65K android phones a day is not impressive (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/g … _every_day)

Seriously? 90K iPhones Sold Per Day Straining World's Flash Supply

- Being the first phones support 1GHz snapdragon CPU is not impressive (Nexus1, HTC Desire, HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S)

Being the first is not impressive, it won't be the only one for long either. Apple will include the 1Ghz A4 inside the iPhone 4G launching in June.

- Being a complete OPEN SOURCE OS free for all manufacturers to use is not at all impressive (developer.android.com)

Not really, maemo is open source as well – haven't been impressed till now.

- HTML 5 and Adobe Flash light support! now why should this be impressive, after all iPhone doesn't support flash so that shouldn't be impressive.

You do realize flash is poorly implemented on those machines and are draining the battery, right?
I think HTML5 is enough and the iPhone does HTML5.

- Free development tools and support to Developers! so not impressive... developers should be treated the way apple treat it's developers...

Do your research, the iPhone SDK is free.

#40 May 17 2010

sayo9394

I'm sorry, I didn't realise i'm talking to an Apple Fan-boy here!  I've learnt long time ago never to argue with apple fan-boys, they have the "Jobs is God and everything he says must be true" complex!

So according to you, Android is not impressive because it doesn't compare to the iphone!

You do realize flash is poorly implemented on those machines and are draining the battery, right?

did you get that of Jobs' latest "Flash is evil" rant? (http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/) hehehe
I don't see android tables and phones' batteries suffering, maybe Apple should get back to the drawing board and design better batteries...

As for what apple "WILL" be doing in the future with iPhone4G, you do know that they also will be releasing multiprocess support to 3rd party apps. i wonder where they got that inspiration from.

oh by the way, Android already surpassed iphone's US sales for Q1 (http://gizmodo.com/5535502/android-surp … for-q12010) and now europe is next... not impressive?

ps: i didn't realise we're talking about iPhone vs Android, i was simply answering ur "not impressed" comments. Anyways, anyone who has followed Android's growth rate and anyone who knows about smartphones would me more than impressed.... again, it is ur personal opinion!

On another topic now:
I'm really glad i came across this website today! i'm moving to lebanon soon to start an I.T business and i can already see a wealth of information and opinions that i can get from here. :)

#41 May 17 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

First things first: Google Nexus One, HTC Desire and HTC Legend are all 16 MILLIONS COLORS

Second thing for Nexus One owners: the 2.2 upgrade OS aka Froyo will be available this week boosting the phone up to 450%

99.9% of Lebanese are not aware at all of what Android 2.1 and + phones are capable of and this is really a pitty!

For iphone fanboys: A friend who has an iphone and fanboy too was astonished when seeing the actual performances and options of the Nexus One! You are just too blinded and don't want to see the truth of the new king of OS but it's not too late and open your hearts ;)

Last edited by vegetaleb (May 17 2010)

#42 May 17 2010

samer
Admin

I'm sorry, I didn't realise i'm talking to an Apple Fan-boy here!  I've learnt long time ago never to argue with apple fan-boys, they have the "Jobs is God and everything he says must be true" complex!

That's a big ad hominem right there, if you expect us to have a debate based on logic and reason, provide solid arguments that tackle the subject not your opponent.

So according to you, Android is not impressive because it doesn't compare to the iphone!

You rephrased what I said and made it sound unreasonable, yet another trick to win your argument. What I said was: "all I've seen from the Android thus far is nothing impressive" - as in, I was not impressed by what I've seen from it. This implies (1) that I did not look thoroughly at its capabilities and (2) it did not blow me away, it has been seen before (through the iPhone).

maybe Apple should get back to the drawing board and design better batteries...

Oh yes, as if 10 hour batteries on mid to high-end laptops were not impressive.

As for what apple "WILL" be doing in the future with iPhone4G, you do know that they also will be releasing multiprocess support to 3rd party apps. i wonder where they got that inspiration from.

Conversely, I wonder where Ubuntu got its inspiration from for their new UI. That is to say, inspiration goes both ways.

oh by the way, Android already surpassed iphone's US sales for Q1 (http://gizmodo.com/5535502/android-surp … for-q12010) and now europe is next... not impressive?

Not really, you are comparing the sales of all the phones that hold a certain operating system to one particular phone. If you want a fair comparison choose one android phone and compare the sales to the iPhone.

anyone who knows about smartphones would me more than impressed....

Again, you are attacking me rather than my argument.

I'm really glad i came across this website today! i'm moving to lebanon soon to start an I.T business and i can already see a wealth of information and opinions that i can get from here. :)

It's nice to have you here! :)

#43 May 17 2010

sayo9394

Again, you are attacking me rather than my argument.

Mate I wouldn't dream of attackin anyone, and sorry if it seemed like a personal attack, but u seriously can't say ur not impressed! It only means ur being too subjective and not following android's growth rate.
But again u might be a guy who is naturally hard to impress ;)

@vegetaleb,great post mate. Personally I agree 100% to wat ur sayin!  With the new dalvik update, 2.2 gonna be freakishly awsome! Great to see ur so uptodate with android info! I'm currently runnin 2.1 on htc dream (using cyanogen rom) its WOW! Waiting for Htc incredible to land in syndey, or samsung galxy s!

There's even talk about a 1Ghz, 4.3" AMOLED, androidf 2.2, physical keyboard phone coming out soon!!!

Take care pple

#44 May 17 2010

EddieEC

And you claim being the first to get a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU is impressive? Didn't you notice the bulky performance? I mean come on, everyone did. Apple's iPod Touches and iPhones work smoothly, even on half what the snapdragon is.
And Samer is right, you are comparing MULTIPLE phones that work on Android, to a single phone working on iPhone OS.
The iPhone SDK is completely free, but creating a developer account to publish your apps costs $99.
Look, if a smartphone has better specs than another smartphone, it doesn't mean it's better. And the iPhone is the proof.

#45 May 17 2010

samer
Admin

sayo9394 wrote:

Mate I wouldn't dream of attackin anyone, and sorry if it seemed like a personal attack

You attacked me and not my argument, hence it was a personal attack. I'm just saying it's irrelevant to the debate since you are not tackling the subject.

sayo9394 wrote:

but u seriously can't say ur not impressed!

Oh I'm sorry, I can't?

sayo9394 wrote:

It only means ur being too subjective and not following android's growth rate.

I'm being too subjective giving out my own opinion. Great job Captain Obvious :)

sayo9394 wrote:

But again u might be a guy who is naturally hard to impress ;)

I implore you to read about ad hominem:

An ad hominem is an attempt to persuade which links the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise. The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy. more

#46 May 17 2010

EddieEC

Hey, it's a personal thing. Some people like Android because they like it. Others like the iPhone better. Everyone has there reasons, whether they do or don't seem logical to others. So, I say it again, it's a matter of personal opinion and likes.

#47 May 17 2010

sayo9394

@samer, mate i'm gonna leave it here and end with your quotes which i'm more than satisfied with.

samer wrote:

I was not impressed by what I've seen from it. This implies (1) that I did not look thoroughly at its capabilities and (2) it did not blow me away, it has been seen before (through the iPhone).

Just one more question out of curiosity, which android phone have you owned or played around with?

samer wrote:

You attacked me and not my argument, hence it was a personal attack.

I just hope you weren't hurt in anyway or manner. Group hug everyone? @EddieEC and @vegetaleb, you can jump in too :) one big happy Android, and iPhone family ;)

EddieEC wrote:

Hey, it's a personal thing. Some people like Android because they like it. Others like the iPhone better. Everyone has there reasons, whether they do or don't seem logical to others. So, I say it again, it's a matter of personal opinion and likes.

I completely agree with u mate, preferring one phone on another when you purchase it is completely a subjective and personal thing. Apple fan-boys will always love the iPhone, iPad (which I think is a glorified over size iPhone). and Apple haters will always hate those products.

But like wat vegetaleb said,  we are "tech lovers", we appreciate gizmos and gadgets according to what they provide us. I'm a computer and telcom engineer, so when something has better specs, i say it is a better product, and my work pays me for making those decisions... 

It is widely known and accepted that the Android phone is the Geek Phone because of its openness.

Eddie, which android phone have you owned or played around with? again just out of curiosity...

@vegetaleb, seems like you own an Android Phone, will you be able to give me the APN details so to use WAP when i visit lebanon?

#48 May 18 2010

samer
Admin

I just hope you weren't hurt in anyway or manner.

You continue to misinterpret my replies. It was not about being hurt, I think we're both mature enough to separate the person from the debate. It's about tackling the person in front of you rather than the issue.

Just one more question out of curiosity, which android phone have you owned or played around with?

Nexus One.

#49 May 18 2010

Joe

@sayo:

What samer is saying is that you can call him an Apple fanboy as much as you want, this doesn't mean that Android is better than the iPhone. This is why he keeps repeating "you're attacking me".

The fact of attacking a person (instead of countering an argument) in a debate is called argumentum ad hominem. Many people do this mistake when arguing.

Your group hug reply was ridiculous.

On a side note, I played with the Sony Ericsson Android phone (forgot its name). My friend who bought it didn't like the virtual keyboard it had, so he changed it to the one developed by HTC. I loved that!

I also tried (finally) the iPhone SDK. I have to say that from a developer point of view, I really prefer Android's SDK, even though this is purely sbjective and nothing I claim to be absolute ;-)

#50 May 18 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

Lebanese Wap doesn't seem to work with Android phones, I think Alfa blocked them on purpose to promote ''fixed'' lines with GPRS because Nexus One's APN is damn very complete to implement all the alfa settings.
And for the dude who claimed that the 1ghz of N1 is not impressive and slow compared to ipod touch and iphone I just wana say that he clearly never used a Nexus One. I have both ipod touch 2g and N1 and the ipod is like driving a kia 1.2 car compared to a Bmw M3.
And in case even this speed is not sufficient you can always count on the 2.2 OS (that will be released this week) to get 450% more speed!!

@ samer I suppose you played a couple of minutes only with the N1 and you didn't even try 1% of it's potential, just say you are an apple fanboy like T3 magazine(but they are paid for that)

Android will prevail!!

Board footer