LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 31 2010

abouelchich

Google Android

anybody using Android OS ? what smartphone are you using? and what's your feedback

#2 March 31 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Re: Google Android

HTC HD2 is the best phone ever im saying this after using the iphone 2g about 3 years , Iphone= Gaming , entertainment device, HTC hd2 = prof device everything that i wanted my iphone to do is right here and many more , except for gaming , and some sluggish because its a wm device :/
iphone 2g , 3g = 7/10
iphone 3gs = 8/10
HTC hd2 = 9.9/10 im saying at this instant until Evo comes in and wm7 etc :)

Android os is an ok os compared to the customized wm i still go for wm for one reason possibility of hacking the phone and upgrading to WM7 so its your choice and yea about installing cracked software you need for every software to install a new rom or something , its complicated as i have concluded upon searching over the net or dangerous :/

Last edited by Aj_BlaZ (March 31 2010)

#3 March 31 2010

nuclearcat

Using HTC Hero. Only one thing i dislike - lack of proximity sensor. Other things just great.
Also for my work i need hardware keyboard, on screen sucks for ssh.

#4 March 31 2010

Joe

I have developed some apps on Android last year as part of a school project. Fiddled around with the emulator. Android is basically a linux kernel with a modified Java virtual machine (called Dalvik). Now I never had any Android phones so I cannot help you more than that. The only thing I can say for sure is that Java developer would have a blast with it (unlike super restrictive iFruits trying to maintain maximum control over their devices.

#5 March 31 2010

battikh

used to dual boot on htc tytn 2
it's the best compromise between iphone and winmo
as it was said before, iphone is best for media and entertainment, winmo is the best for customization, android is in between.

#6 March 31 2010

surfer12

Hey guys any feedback concerning the Nokia N900?

#7 April 1 2010

EddieEC

Android OS is great. But the lack of the Android market in Lebanon, is umm, well let us just say, sucks.

#8 April 21 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

This is nonsense because Market works perfecly in Lebanon, you will get load of Free apps and games on un-rooted Nexus One and paid+free apps/games on Rooted

#9 April 21 2010

kareem_nasser

Can i download Anroid OS on a 3500c Nokia phone?

#10 April 21 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

The only non-android  device that can take Android OS is the HTC HD1 because it has the required specs.
Perhaps nokia n900 could do it too because nokia's Ma(bi7)emo is also linux

#11 April 21 2010

EddieEC

vegetaleb wrote:

This is nonsense because Market works perfecly in Lebanon, you will get load of Free apps and games on un-rooted Nexus One and paid+free apps/games on Rooted

What about those high quality paid apps?

#12 April 22 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

As I said if you ROOT (like jailbreak) your Nexus One you can use the full market with all Paid and free apps.
Install Market Enabler after Rooting your phone and lure the market with Tmobile USA for exemple...you will get absolutly all paid apps/games  http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/
Visit XDA forums to know how to ROoT and get superb ROMs

Also you can easily find .apk games and apps to download in pirate p2p websites ;)
Rooting doesn't brick your Nexus One, it just avoid warranty and since 95% of Nexus in Lebanon are ''te7rib'' you have nothing to lose!
Rooting also give you the opportunity to change ROMs as you want like installing HTC Desire Sense Rom, or simply install the Desire camera app which is way better...

Last edited by vegetaleb (April 22 2010)

#13 April 22 2010

EddieEC

Does the market need you to have a US Google Checkout account?

#14 April 23 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

I never tried but you can always use an ''internet credit card'' from the bank because they are not domiciliated in Lebanon and give a fake american address in google check out.
Beleive me Android 2.1 blows out iphone/bb/nokias... it's like compairing a PS3 with nintendo NES

#15 April 23 2010

samer
Admin

Beleive me Android 2.1 blows out iphone/bb/nokias... it's like compairing a PS3 with nintendo NES

You will probably need to back up that statement with good arguments, because all I've seen from the Android thus far is nothing impressive.

#16 April 23 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

1ghz CPU...n97 is 575mhz
Large resolution screen 16m colors. 800x480 compared to 640x360 and 320x480 for nokias and iphone.
Market for thousands of free and paid apps/games (way better thans beer apps on iphone)
Pinch and zoom so nothing to lose from iphone.
Capacitive screen for hyper touch response.
Trackball for surfing or using it as big LED SMS and missed calls notifications.
Very practical phonebook.
All data connections supported (alfa wap would but alfa blocked it)
''PSP like'' 3D games...even better than iphone.
OPEN SOURCE LINUX OS so always new stuff.
You can change ROMs whenever you want so you can have a large UI choice for the OS

I though this forum is for geeks who are ahead of Lebanese mentality (nokia and bb ou bess) but it seems that even here some people are 2 years late. I am pretty sure in the coming 6 months no Lebanese will use bb anymore and android will replace it

Last edited by vegetaleb (April 23 2010)

#17 April 23 2010

samer
Admin

1ghz CPU...n97 is 575mhz
Large resolution screen 16m colors. 800x480 compared to 640x360 and 320x480 for nokias and iphone.

*facepalm*
Those are hardware features, you clearly said Android 2.1 which is an operating system.

Market for thousands of free and paid apps/games (way better thans beer apps on iphone)

Again, stating things without a solid ground.

Trackball for surfing or using it as big LED SMS and missed calls notifications.

BlackBerry

Very practical phonebook.

BlackBerry OS, iPhone OS.

All data connections supported (alfa wap would but alfa blocked it)

iPhone OS, BlackBerry OS.

Does that mean that Apple is not releasing new stuff all the time?

I though this forum is for geeks who are ahead of Lebanese mentality (nokia and bb ou bess)

Attacking people instead of their arguments, ad hominem.

but it seems that even here some people are 2 years late.

Groundless accusation. How is someone not using a phone running Android be called "2 years late"?

I am pretty sure in the coming 6 months no Lebanese will use bb anymore and android will replace it

RIM's business model won't allow it. The fact that other people need a BlackBerry to communicate with you through BBM makes you encourage your friends one to get one of RIM's phones.

#18 April 23 2010

Joe

RIM's business model won't allow it. The fact that other people need a BlackBerry to communicate with you through BBM makes you encourage your friends one to get one of RIM's phones.

...which is the biggest flaw of BBMessenger, imho.

Anyway, instead of giving petty arguments about "which phone is better", I'd like to ask an interesting question about Android, maybe some of you could help

Android is an open platform, with virtually no restrictions whatsoever. I'm wondering to what extent can the phone manfacturer legally limit (not alter) its use?

For example can Samsung prohibit the use of Skype on the Galaxy phone? Can HTC block all apps coming from untrusted sources (a la iphone appstore)?

I haven't looked intensively into the subject, but from what I heard, there are absolutely no limits to the way you can use Android. I might be wrong, but if I'm not, this would be Android biggest advantage over iPhones and other smartphones.

#19 April 23 2010

vegetaleb
Banned

samer wrote:

Does that mean that Apple is not releasing new stuff all the time?

I am not talking about Google making FW updates (which they will do) but about programers who are linux friendly and build very interesting apps easily!

Nexus One are also much customisable...things you can't do on bb nor iphone thanks to tones of widgets like changing completly the main clock.
Do you have Alive wallpapers on iphone and BB? nop
Can you flash another phone's OS? nop but with rooted nexus one you can use the Desire OS for exemple.

You don't now what is Android and nexus one but you feel bb and iphone are better

@rahmu  You can't use iphone apps on android ;)
But if you have a rooted nexus one (jailbreaked) and you know linux language you can mod any system file like kernels, lot of programers have already done overclocked/undervolted kernels or audio boost kernels. Go and check xda forums and you will be surprised :)

Last edited by vegetaleb (April 23 2010)

#20 April 23 2010

xterm

If my phone can dial, has a decent phone book, allows me to check mail and surf web, that's all i need.

iPhone does a pretty good job at that and so does nexus one.

The rest are stupid details.

#21 April 23 2010

Joe

The rest are stupid details.

You know as much as I do that the web is going mobile ultimately. What we are witnessing today is just the market tests for that. As a developer you cannot get away from this.

My phone is a LG KP100 that I bought for 10€. It has no connectivity whatsoever, three wallpapers to chose from, less than ten ringtones.

I am the first one to say that all I need from a phone is for it to dial. But still I wouldn't say the rest is stupid details. It's the Future.

#22 April 23 2010

xterm

rahmu wrote:

I am the first one to say that all I need from a phone is for it to dial. But still I wouldn't say the rest is stupid details. It's the Future.

I did not rule out the need for web. I believe i highlighted that i use it on my phone.

I find it rather funny that people still in this day and age get biased to something.

People, if it does the job, then it's fine.

#23 April 23 2010

EddieEC

Nexus One are also much customisable...things you can't do on bb nor iphone thanks to tones of widgets like changing completly the main clock.
Do you have Alive wallpapers on iphone and BB? nop

iPhone gets that in OS4.

Can you flash another phone's OS? nop but with rooted nexus one you can use the Desire OS for exemple.

Android was just demonstrated running on an iPhone by a trusted hacker (forgot his name). And Desire ROM is not an OS. Desire ROM is an Android OS running HTC Sense.

You don't now what is Android and nexus one but you feel bb and iphone are better

Kind of true for people who never tried Android. I tried it, and it isn't that WOW.

#24 April 23 2010

Kassem

Yeah well I have to agree with xterm. I used to care too much about how many features the cell phone has and I used to pay a lot of money for Nokia phones. I had a Nokia E75 which has almost everything you ask for including GPS and all these fancy stuff. Yesterday I replaced it with a Samsung Star which is basically a non-expensive touch-screen phone. I really liked the OS and how everything is organized. Plus, the widgets on the home screen makes it very easy to get to whatever apps you want. I did not get the version which has the wi-fi module since it adds 30$ to the price and I RARELY used my old cell phone to connect through wi-fi.

So far I'm still getting familiar with the phone but I'm really liking it. The best part is that its TFT screen responds very well, and the battery life-time is great (unlike my old N95 which never lasted more than a day without having to recharge the battery).

#25 April 23 2010

Kassem

I still don't understand why people are crazy about the iPhone... It's just like any regular phone with an iPod to play music (a chinese MP3 player can do that, big deal...).

Board footer