LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 2 2010

Kassem

Flash Killing My CPU!

Hey everyone... I decided to start working on a portfolio website like 2 hours ago and I was all excited about it and so on... And then after I got through the tough part, I tested it and it seemed like my Core 2 Due 1.73 GHz is struggling BIG TIME! The website was running very slow during some animations that require heavy calculation... So has any of you had similar issues and how did you solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

#2 March 2 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

Re: Flash Killing My CPU!

we need more info :
rams , os , cpu is loaded 100% ? , gpu ,whats the website , it might be virus ,.....

#3 March 2 2010

Kassem

I have 3GB DDR2 SDRAM, CPU is hitting 97% during the animation. No it is not a virus, I am building the website myself. The thing is that I am doing a multi-layer easing effect. Inside each layer there are 25 movieclips. I am using an algorithm which gives the illusion of a 3D background which slides whenever the mouse moves. And then when I click on a certain button, the whole background container rotates 30 degrees and a blur filters is applied to it using TweenMax. Let me know if u need any more information. :)

#4 March 3 2010

nuclearcat

Flash have very poor performance design, especially in movie playing capability. It depends how movie rendered, how compressed and etc. If it is H264, well, it is expected to have high CPU usage.

Actually i have it by default disabled, by flashblock. Usually website, if they have flash used in navigational elements i just close.

#5 March 3 2010

arithma

I think the blur effect is giving you the greatest performance hit. Don't use cacheAsBitmap either with animated rotating movie clips. Take those off and report back the performance..
If that doesn't work, ditch out tween max and go all the way commando using the enter_frame event.
Let me know what happens with you, and I am definitely interested in seeing your work if you can post, PM or anything.

#6 March 3 2010

Kassem

Yup you were right arithma, the blur effect is what caused the lag in performance! I removed the blur filter effect and it works like a charm! I have a good feeling about where this project, hopefully it works well for me because a portfolio site says something about the skills of the designer/developer and his/her work's quality.

Board footer