LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 April 22 2010

Georges

Re: Apple iPad

battikh wrote:

if you have an iphone or an apple touch, you can upgrade to the ipad for free:

Exactly... They built the iPhone that don't fit in your pocket !

#27 April 26 2010

Bassem

Well folks, the iPad is now available in Lebanon. I thought it was not yet released internationally, but I saw it in Virgin Megastore, of all places.

Are any of you considering getting one? It costs between 900 (16gb) and 1200 (64gb) dollars. Class has them for the same price.

I might consider it if it weren't for the INSANE pricing.

#28 April 26 2010

xterm

I'll be getting one for my wife, she's in the news industry and could use such a device.

#29 April 26 2010

Kassem

EddieEC wrote:

You people don't know Apple in any way. They know we want multitasking, they know we wanted a camera on the iPad. They won't do it just like that. Either the next iPad will have the camera for extra fees or something. As for multitasking, it wants you to buy everything it releases, since you expect it won't have multitasking anyways, and then BAM! they will release the multitasking devices, for you to buy them.
They just want to profit. Not saying that in a bad way. I think Apple is great.

I was shocked first when I read this post, but then I thought "oh well, that's how Apple sells its products anyway". Yeah, basically what I'm saying is that Apple simply depends on its fanboys to sell its products. Even if that product is literally useless, there WILL be thousands buying that product simply because it's yet another product from Apple.

EddieEC, hopefully you'll take some marketing courses or read some basic marketing book someday. Then return back to this particular post and tell me what you feel. Good marketing is when you give the consumer what he wants, and not make him wait for an upgrade that includes what he wants. What if some other company produces a similar product that provides a cam and multi-tasking abilities? What would happen to this crappy iPad? I'll leave that for you to figure it out :)

BUT, unfortunately, as I mentioned above: Apple has successfully nurtured an extremely loyal population of customers (which they deserve a lot of credit for actually). They were able to do that with their release of the first iPhone which was innovative at that time. So now, they strongly depend on their blind customers who are willing to buy THIS iPad knowing that the next iPad will most likely have the other features which are not available in this one. And yeah, they WILL buy the next iPad as well when it's out.

#30 April 26 2010

xterm

Kassem wrote:

So now, they strongly depend on their blind customers who are willing to buy THIS iPad knowing that the next iPad will most likely have the other features which are not available in this one. And yeah, they WILL buy the next iPad as well when it's out.

P.S.: Although i quoted Kassem, this reply is not strictly for him.

People, this is not news in the business world. Every single business does this exact thing, you name it!

Televisions, cars, computers, FOOD, clothes and so on...

#31 April 26 2010

kareem_nasser

I didnt find anything intersting in the Ipad not to mention the cost($1000!!) and in Lebanon we wont benfit from the 3G models only the WiFi but again what is the use of getting a 9.7" phoneas far as it is gonna be used by the Lebanese as a "phone" not for business(or another purpose). In general it doesnt have any Exclusive features yet so no appeal here. Whenever i want to buy a Consumer Electronic i think about my usage (why? for what purpose? Durability? interesting features? etc.) So buying an consumer electronic is a form of investment(if want to think about that way) a longterm one but just "investing" $1000 for a product that was "concretely" marketed(Steve is a genius) and as usual Apple products are for Apple fans(In Lebanon at least).

#32 April 26 2010

rolf

Why do they so much obscenely overprice it in Lebanon? Is there a hidden "tax for good taste", or "tax for knowledgeable consumers" somewhere?

#33 April 26 2010

Kassem

rolf wrote:

Why do they so much obscenely overprice it in Lebanon? Is there a hidden "tax for good taste", or "tax for knowledgeable consumers" somewhere?

No they are just doing us a favor by giving us another reason not to buy this stupid iPad. It's like they're telling us "We'll make sure you won't waste 500$ on buying a useless product by doubling its price for you"

#34 April 26 2010

xterm

rolf wrote:

Let's see.

Device: IPad 16GB

Official device cost: 500$
Shipping: 100$ ? (yeah right)
Tax: 50$ ?

If the above numbers are even close to correct and they're selling it for 900$ (990$ including VAT), they're making 340$.

Yeah, unfair.

#35 April 26 2010

Raficoo

i don't see what's the point of getting an iPad(especially in Leb), considering there's no 3G here(and when there will be it will be overpriced),+the cost of the iPad($990!!!)+ can't fit in pocket :)

the full potential of this device cannot be achieved here, it'll just be that huge e-Book you'll carry. As for me, i was thinking about getting an Ipad nano, but i changed my mind.

ipadnano.jpg

Evolution of iphone:
imat2014.jpg

#36 April 26 2010

rolf

Lol

#37 April 26 2010

kareem_nasser

rolf wrote:

Well the Government does have the right to increase the taxes on consumer electronics as much as it wants because they aren't of the necessities.

#38 April 26 2010

Kassem

kareem_nasser wrote:

Well the Government does have the right to increase the taxes on consumer electronics as much as it wants because they aren't of the necessities

Yeah right, and smoking is a necessity that's why there's barely any taxes on it :)

#39 April 26 2010

kareem_nasser

Smoking business is another story they sign deals with Foreign countries to get the smoking products which have been there for months and then get them for half the price or less(sorry for the off-topic).

#40 April 26 2010

Joe

xterm wrote:
rolf wrote:

Let's see.

Device: IPad 16GB

Official device cost: 500$
Shipping: 100$ ? (yeah right)
Tax: 50$ ?

If the above numbers are even close to correct and they're selling it for 900$ (990$ including VAT), they're making 340$.

Yeah, unfair.

Not to mention that you'd get a discount for ordering large quantities on the base price (500$), as well as a tax refund. A 600$ pricing should be considered. Maybe 650$.
And to think that the iPad was marketed world wide as being a cheap device.

The problem is still the lobbyism of importers who get exclusive monopoly on their products. No one is doing anything about it, and mafiosi make a lot of money like this ...

#41 April 26 2010

Georges

An iPad ? What for...

blutack.jpg

Bassem wrote:

Well folks, the iPad is now available in Lebanon. I thought it was not yet released internationally, but I saw it in Virgin Megastore, of all places.

Are any of you considering getting one? It costs between 900 (16gb) and 1200 (64gb) dollars. Class has them for the same price.

Are they really expecting to sell this 'Toy' for that price ?

#42 April 26 2010

Kassem

LMAO! good one Yorgi :)

#43 April 26 2010

Georges

Kassem wrote:

LMAO! good one Yorgi :)

i saw Raficoo's post while stumbling. i was going to post it, but he did first.

So yeaa. What makes an iPad different ?

#44 April 26 2010

EddieEC

Yorgi wrote:

An iPad ? What for...

http://s1.b3ta.com/host/creative/1279/1 … lutack.jpg

Bassem wrote:

@yorgi multitasking coming this fall.
Camera next generation.
Why would you want a large screened tablet to make phone calls? Unless you want people staring at that weird guy holding a huge device by his ear and talking out loud in public, it's useless.
And you can use 3G to make phone calls via Skype.

#45 April 26 2010

Georges

EddieEC wrote:
Yorgi wrote:

An iPad ? What for...

http://s1.b3ta.com/host/creative/1279/1 … lutack.jpg

@yorgi multitasking coming this fall.
Camera next generation.
Why would you want a large screened tablet to make phone calls? Unless you want people staring at that weird guy holding a huge device by his ear and talking out loud in public, it's useless.
And you can use 3G to make phone calls via Skype.

Good Points... But still, i won't buy this toy unless they sell it for 100 $
For the current price, I'd buy a laptop. it Multitasks at least.

#46 April 26 2010

Kassem

The Sony Vaio Mini Laptop would be a much better choice, and cheaper I guess. No? :)

#47 April 26 2010

Georges

for a 1200 $ u can buy the latest Sony Vaio:

Here are the specs: [This is NOT a mini laptop btw]

Model: VPCF1190X Configure-To-Order

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor (1.60GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.80GHz
16.4" VAIO Premium Display (1920x1080) with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)
4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
320GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)
Large Capacity Battery
Keyboard Backlight
CD/DVD burner

Norton Internet Security™ 2010 (30 Day Trial)
No Additional Video Editing Software
No Fresh Start
Black
Engraving
Microsoft® Works

Oh No wait, I'm Stupid, I'll buy an iPad instead.

Last edited by Yorgi (April 26 2010)

#48 April 26 2010

EddieEC

I won't buy an iPad if you're hinting that I'm the stupid guy. I'm just straightening your information.

#49 April 26 2010

Bassem

Buying a modern mobile device in Lebanon (such as the iPad & various smartphones )is like buying a supercar in Lebanon.

It costs an arm and a leg, it sure makes you look cool (or like a douchebag, depending on who's looking) but you won't be able to enjoy it properly, nor use it to it's full capability, because of the crappy infrastructure here.

#50 April 26 2010

battikh

for its price in lebanon, i don't think it's due to taxes. dubai is tax free and it's almost the same price as in lebanon.
anyways, saw it at a shop, played with it for a moment, desperately trying to find interest in it, i was done with it after 5sec, bleh, boring.

Board footer