LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 27 2010

duckster

Apple iPad

http://live.gdgt.com/2010/01/27/live-ap … -coverage/

finally announced
starts at $499

great features, except for the name :)

#2 January 27 2010

J4D

Re: Apple iPad

I want one!

#3 January 27 2010

BashLogic

this time, I cant just by stand, I have to vote for this one as well. it has been a long time that i have been disappoint with other vendor products. apple has even rationally priced the product.

#4 January 27 2010

arithma

Looks good, but nothing revolutionary.. I was hoping for a tablet that can allow me to develop by tapping but it doesn't even multitask... Otherwise, it has nothing new on an iPhone except for the screen, and then there's no cam and some other peripherals.
For an iPhone-less man, it does look attractive none-the-less.

#5 January 27 2010

BashLogic

arithma wrote:

Looks good, but nothing revolutionary.. I was hoping for a tablet that can allow me to develop by tapping but it doesn't even multitask... Otherwise, it has nothing new on an iPhone except for the screen, and then there's no cam and some other peripherals.
For an iPhone-less man, it does look attractive none-the-less.

not revolutionary no! i remember when i was a kid i used to envision on something of the sort.
what this product is a refinement of usage. you use it for ebooks, there goes the kindle market, the 3g connectivity give ability to surf when needed, a decent screen size to watch media.

it has defined function and wont be going beyond that. it fulfills its purpose within the refinement.

what i am disappointed with is that apple seems to be the only one who attempts to refine concepts and products. everyone else are creating plain bricks. users are becoming more aware and seduced with eye candy interface.

linux hit the news big with the new desktop windows managers that were innovated with compiz. unfortunately so far it has been so "techy" to deploy and use it that from a particular perspective, it has become a flop.
apple has standardized its UI. other vendors unfortunately are far behind.

#6 January 27 2010

duckster

we need a clear definition of multitasking.
i mean practically, even though it looks like only one app can be in focus at a time, one can still have other apps running in the background and switch to them when needed, right?

#7 January 27 2010

crazy

It's an oversized iphone... I expected more from apple, even the archos has more fonctionality.

#8 January 27 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

no thx i wont buy one ill wait for the hp slate one ;( thx crApple

#9 January 28 2010

J4D

apple is a marketing freak , you will see other versions of this soon.....with extra capability.

#10 January 28 2010

xterm

BashLogic said it best. I'm utterly disappointed.

#11 January 28 2010

Bassem

It's the most pointless Apple product since the Macbook Air. No multitasking? Fuck you, Apple. You could get away with that on your phone, but not on something as big as the pad. And no camera? One proprietary port?

Of course, the fanboys are going to eat it up like hot cakes because the fanboys are stupid like that. And then the general population will start buying it because "other people are buying it so it must be good."

I'll stick with my old, broken, heavy tablet PC.

#12 January 28 2010

EddieEC

You people don't know Apple in any way. They know we want multitasking, they know we wanted a camera on the iPad. They won't do it just like that. Either the next iPad will have the camera for extra fees or something. As for multitasking, it wants you to buy everything it releases, since you expect it won't have multitasking anyways, and then BAM! they will release the multitasking devices, for you to buy them.
They just want to profit. Not saying that in a bad way. I think Apple is great.

#13 January 28 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

umm in reality no one cares if apple is great or not what really matters is the crowd if the crowd wants an itablet 5-7 inch and cam for video calls and camera for photos and capable of at least 720p or 1080i ( hook it to ur hdtv) minimum of 120gb running real osx and of course usb connection
did i mention u get all these things + the things that are on the ipad on the hp slate (windows 7)
i dont care about the price i think 10 inch is totally ridiculous u cant even attach it to ur car Ipad is epic fail

#14 January 28 2010

J4D

Aj_BlaZ wrote:

umm in reality no one cares if apple is great or not what really matters is the crowd if the crowd wants an itablet 5-7 inch and cam for video calls and camera for photos and capable of at least 720p or 1080i ( hook it to ur hdtv) minimum of 120gb running real osx and of course usb connection
did i mention u get all these things + the things that are on the ipad on the hp slate (windows 7)
i dont care about the price i think 10 inch is totally ridiculous u cant even attach it to ur car Ipad is epic fail

RUN-ON SENTENCES !  man please try to punctuate :)

#15 January 28 2010

Aj_BlaZ
Banned

ill try my best sorry :)

#16 January 28 2010

rolf

Its hilarious, it looks like an iPhone fed with the super mario magic mushroom...

#17 January 28 2010

Bassem

rolf wrote:

Its hilarious, it looks like an iPhone fed with the super mario magic mushroom...

Wouldn't you love it if it made the magic mushroom sound when you start it up?

#18 January 28 2010

J4D

i can imagine this thing falling down from the hand of a user,a screen of this caliber easily breaks unlike smaller ones , they will be making fortunes replacing screens and blown covers

#19 January 29 2010

samer
Admin

This article slightly shaped my opinion.

#20 January 29 2010

Bassem

samer wrote:

This article slightly shaped my opinion.

I can't hear John Gruber most of the time because his head is too far up Apple's ass. If I had to reply to this article, I'd say I agree with all the facts listed but it's not what I care about. This first version of the pad - because there will be upgraded versions - is too crippled and it doesn't fill any niche, it just stands there awkwardly.

Until I can do at least TWO things simultaneously, I won't feel like I'm using a computer. When I see videos like this, that's when I get interested and excited.

#21 January 29 2010

rolf

Like I just read in a comment:

Too big to be an iphone and too weak to be a laptop. What are people supposed to do with it?

If I had money to spare, Id but one to take notes during business meetings and to watch movies on long flights, or for couch-surfing, or other such stuff. But does it run Photoshop (etc.)? No. So I have to keep my laptop. And my cell phone.
I think the iPad is a luxury. An affordable one, but still a luxury. Im sure there will be people to buy it though, but not students and younger people.

#22 January 29 2010

rolf

But ill probably end up buying one :-)
After all, sometimes luxury is a necessity!

#23 April 9 2010

aliahlewis

duckster wrote:

great features, except for the name :)

Good one. Apple work good on iPad but forgotten to give it a good name also. LOL

#24 April 9 2010

EddieEC

Multitasking is coming in OS4, as announced by Apple yesterday in the keynote. It will come Fall '10

#25 April 22 2010

battikh

if you have an iphone or an apple touch, you can upgrade to the ipad for free:

5593.jpg

Board footer