LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 22 2009

Joe

XAMPP vs LAMP

Anybody know the exact difference between the two? I use XAMPP, never did regular LAMP. I guess I'm asking for feedback from people who tried both.

#2 December 22 2009

Ayman

Re: XAMPP vs LAMP

I use XAMPP and never used LAMP nor WAMP too, but according to what I have heard is that LAMP was for Linux and WAMP was for Windows, then they made XAMPP which incorporates both. And the X in XAMPP stands for being cross platform. According to what I understood is that LAMP and WAMP are no more available. :)

#3 December 22 2009

Joe

Here's what I know (after some Googling):

The problem with LAMP is having different open source components running together can cause integration problems. XAMPP is a packaging of the standard LAMP server, plus many 'extras' like: OpenSSL, PhpMyAdmin, ...

My question was, from experience, has anyone tried both, and what's the practical difference between the two?

PS Even though XAMPP runs on both platforms, LAMP and WAMP are still available.

#4 December 22 2009

Ayman

PS Even though XAMPP runs on both platforms, LAMP and WAMP are still available.

True but only older versions are available + they are no more supported.

#5 January 28 2010

rolf

If anyone is interested, WAMP runs PHP 5.3, which is not compatible with the current release of Zend optimizer. You need PHP 5.2 or less for running code that is destined for the Zend optimizer.
I think XAMPP has the same problem. It is usually not a problem, but some people send obfuscated code that needs Zend optimizer to run. I had this problem.
Im happy whith apache + Mysql on osx, the good old, authentic way :)

#6 January 28 2010

Joe

rolf wrote:

If you want to add PHP or Perl (why would anyone in their right mind want to use Perl I don't understand) you can check out MAMP.

#7 January 28 2010

xterm

I love how Perl handles regular expressions, they're a treat.

#8 January 28 2010

rolf

rahmu wrote:
rolf wrote:

If you want to add PHP or Perl (why would anyone in their right mind want to use Perl I don't understand) you can check out MAMP.

I forgot to mention, I already have PHP... (sorry)
Perl is installed too but I dont think it is connected to the webserver. I did some Perl work though through a PHP extension, you can actually connect PHP to perl scripts through that. (call perl functions from within PHP, etc...)
I have a good amount of respect for Perl, just do not have the motivation to learn it as a PHP replacement.
Perl is more performant as PHP for data parsing and processing, and also offers more concise syntax for that task. If I had a complex data processing application to write from scratch I will surely do it in PERL.

Last edited by rolf (January 28 2010)

Board footer