LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 13 2009

Joe

No linux on PS3

You cannot install on new PS3s anymore ... To bad ... I liked Sony...

#2 October 13 2009

mrmat

Re: No linux on PS3

Yes, they took out the support for OtherOS, so they can reduce the size of the hardware. But, anyway, i don't find a reason why someone should install linux/an OS on a ps3 or a gaming console in general, i know that its easy to go back to the original thing but... its a Gaming Console.

#3 October 14 2009

GN90

why will i need linux in a gaming console.
it was like a feature 95% of the users won't use.

#4 October 14 2009

battikh

the idea behind the ps3 is that it's not JUST a gaming console...
plus, linux on it was usefull for other consoles emulations, like snes, watching video files that are not supported by the ps3, ...
but yes, agree that it's not such a critical feature which is better out if it will make you save some valuable $, just use ur laptop and plug it to the tv...

#5 October 14 2009

Joe

I know it's not critical, but in that whole "free" spirit, why would they put such a restriction ?

But, anyway, i don't find a reason why someone should install linux/an OS on a ps3 or a gaming console in general

Always good to take advantage of the 7-core processors it has ;)

#6 October 14 2009

mrmat

I know it's not critical, but in that whole "free" spirit, why would they put such a restriction ?

That's because, people need a "slim" version of the console as they are used to. if you are not happy, i think you can always get the normal one, or complain "As it would be any good" about it to sony :).

Board footer