LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 4 2009

xterm

Frustration : Laptops

I've been trying to find a proper laptop for a while, problem is, I aim high and i'm frustrated about not finding what i'm looking for despite my efforts.

I'm currently waiting for a quotation for a dell laptop but until then, here's a list of what i'm searching for. If you know anyone or any machine that is relatively close in specs to what i need, kindly reply with your recommendations.

- Processor : QX9300 (2.53), I'll settle with C2D 2.95+ as a last resort.
- Memory : 6+ DDR3
- Storage : 128 SSD + 500GB 7200
- Display : 17" HD (preferably 18.4)
- VGA : Nvidia GT or similar

The rest of the specs are pretty much multimedia quirks that i am not incredibly interested with but accepted as a plus.

Regards,

#2 October 4 2009

Aly

Re: Frustration : Laptops

May I ask why you need 6+ GB of ram ? this will narrow your available options (in lebanon) if you really need this amount of ram.

#3 October 5 2009

xterm

Aly wrote:

May I ask why you need 6+ GB of ram ? this will narrow your available options (in lebanon) if you really need this amount of ram.

Extensive use of virtual machines.

P.S.: DDR3

#4 October 5 2009

mir

first - good luck with that - if you checked the main distributors and still can't find

regarding the extensive use of virtual machine... try to have a good base ( host ) operating system.
make sure to disable any indexing, searching, antivirus blablabla
and a good way for performance of virtual machines is in the HDD , not only the RAM

are you using parallel ? vmware ? virtual box ? and how many machines u usually running in parallel ?
if using this at work , try to go for a regular desktop and a remote desktop connection if u can on your LAN

#5 October 5 2009

xterm

mir wrote:

first - good luck with that - if you checked the main distributors and still can't find

regarding the extensive use of virtual machine... try to have a good base ( host ) operating system.
make sure to disable any indexing, searching, antivirus blablabla
and a good way for performance of virtual machines is in the HDD , not only the RAM

are you using parallel ? vmware ? virtual box ? and how many machines u usually running in parallel ?
if using this at work , try to go for a regular desktop and a remote desktop connection if u can on your LAN

It's not strictly a work machine, but it needs to be portable. I've already exhausted all other alternatives.

#6 October 5 2009

rolf

I get frustrated with my laptop locking up and stuff. I physically abused (I lost my nerves ) it a couple of times, and had to disassemble it to straighten the piece of metal inside the CD drive opening, because it bent and blocked it.
Laptops can be frustrating. More then workstations? I don't know, maybe its just a psychological thing that has to do with size, weight and sturdiness.

#7 October 5 2009

Padre

Just order it online mate ....
that's what we all did. didn't cost us much. TVA + Shipping. they didn't take any extra taxes.
One of my freinds even ordered it by mail (good ol Lipos ) so he saved on shipping and "tokhlees".
But make sure u order it on ur name, not a company name or else u'll have a hard time guetting out of the duties.

#8 October 5 2009

J4D

what is your budget ?  i know a Lebanese manufacturer that does believe it or not  the most powerful laptop in the world    and im not kidding  ill get you  its specs along with its pics in an upcoming post  ,  but i need to know your  budget ?  and ill ask the guy to see what specs can he get you ? :cool:

Last edited by jadberro (October 5 2009)

#9 October 5 2009

xterm

jadberro wrote:

what is your budget ?  i know a Lebanese manufacturer that does believe it or not  the most powerful laptop in the world    and im not kidding  ill get you  its specs along with its pics in an upcoming post  ,  but i need to know your  budget ?  and ill ask the guy to see what specs can he get you ? :cool:

Provide him with the information i've set forth in my original post please. Budget isn't as much of a concern as availability.

#10 October 5 2009

rolf

You should get an SSD drive (sandisk)

Last edited by rolf (October 5 2009)

#11 October 5 2009

J4D

ok  here are the specs 

*CPU Quad Core/Extreme 3.0Ghz with 12 mb cach
*VGA: SLI nvidia 180
*RAM up to 12 GB ram.
*HDDs: up to 3 HDDs with 1.5TB storage each  totaling at 4.5 tb

*price starting from 5000$ to 15000$

Perspective_High.jpg
Bottom_High.jpg

note that this is the most powerful laptop in production around the globe (as far as i know )

Last edited by jadberro (October 5 2009)

#12 October 6 2009

xterm

interesting, can you give me his contact please ?

#13 October 6 2009

Kareem

5000$ - 15,000$ for a laptop ? blehhhh

#14 October 6 2009

Kareem

rolf wrote:

You should get an SSD drive (sandisk)

I was about to open a thread regarding SSD drives .. Actually I will..

#15 October 6 2009

J4D

contact hassan ayoub , head of  w3dtek tell him thru me 
phone: 03799023

#16 October 6 2009

Georges

Well. I've Always been a fan of Alienware Computers. and i recommend the Alienware M17x.

laptop_alienware_m17x_red.jpg

- Link -

*- Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad QX9300 2.53GHz (12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB). [The Most Powerful Mobile Processor in the World!]
*- Windows Vista Ultimate (64 bit) + Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Coupon.
*- Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 280M, 2GB Dedicated – SLI® Enabled .
*- 17-inch WideUXGA 1920x1200 (1200p).
*- 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz.
*- 512GB - 2x 256GB Solid State Drive - RAID 0 [OR] 1TB - 2x 500GB 7,200RPM - RAID 0.
*- Slot-Load Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BD-R/RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW) .
*- Internal Wireless Bluetooth® 2.1 with EDR.
*- Internal 300Mbps Dual-Band a/g/n Wireless with MIMO Technology.
*- ExpressCard Digital TV Tuner + TV Tuner remote control.
*- Additional 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery for Alienware M17x Laptop.
*- 4yr InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis + MyTechTeam.

It Also Includes an Illuminated Keyboard :cool:
You have a Superior Design and  you won't be paying 5000 $ - 15.000 $ !!!

Can anyone beat that

Last edited by Yorgi (October 6 2009)

#17 October 6 2009

nourberro

alienware.....FREAKY!!!  even the looks of their laptops ooze out speed and power

#18 October 6 2009

J4D

the look  is not important , its the functionality and durability under extensive usage

#19 October 6 2009

Georges

Jadberro wrote:

i know a Lebanese manufacturer that does believe it or not  the most powerful laptop in the world

I don't Trust a Lebanese Manufacturer. In Fact Being a Lebanese equals = "Nessab".
Therefore, I'll Keep the Alienware as my first Choice. It Provides the Speed, The Power, The Durability & easily Outperforms any other Laptop on this planet. :)

Last edited by Yorgi (October 6 2009)

#20 October 6 2009

battikh

jadberro wrote:

the look  is not important , its the functionality and durability under extensive usage

weight and battery life? coz if it's 10kg and just 30min, then i guess it's better to just get a pc, would be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper for same specs and better functionality...

and how does facebook perform on it on a scale of 0 to 10?

#21 October 7 2009

xterm

I think i'll wait a bit more, next month new laptop releases.

HP Pavillion DV8, Toshiba Qosmio X505 and more.

battikh wrote:

weight and battery life? coz if it's 10kg and just 30min, then i guess it's better to just get a pc, would be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper for same specs and better functionality...

Honestly i don't care about weight or battery life. The laptop will be sitting on my desk for 9 hours per day at work and approximately 3 hours per day at home and plugged in all the time.

My problem with a desktop is that its not portable and i do not intend to maintain two separate desktops despite the cost.

To each his own i suppose.

#22 October 7 2009

J4D

Yorgi wrote:
Jadberro wrote:

i know a Lebanese manufacturer that does believe it or not  the most powerful laptop in the world

I don't Trust a Lebanese Manufacturer. In Fact Being a Lebanese equals = "Nessab".
Therefore, I'll Keep the Alienware as my first Choice. It Provides the Speed, The Power, The Durability & easily Outperforms any other Laptop on this planet. :)

nope , im not making an add for anybody but actually the laptop i posted is more powerfull then the alienware check the specs berofe you post

battikh wrote:
jadberro wrote:

and how does facebook perform on it on a scale of 0 to 10?

its not 10kg and its 2 batts last for a loooong time about 4 hours wich is quite respectable from a laptop of this caliber ;)

xterm wrote:

I think i'll wait a bit more, next month new laptop releases.

HP Pavillion DV8, Toshiba Qosmio X505 and more.

battikh wrote:

Honestly i don't care about weight or battery life. The laptop will be sitting on my desk for 9 hours per day at work and approximately 3 hours per day at home and plugged in all the time.

My problem with a desktop is that its not portable and i do not intend to maintain two separate desktops despite the cost.

To each his own i suppose.

did you contact the guy ?

#23 October 7 2009

Georges

@ Jad : Would You Please Stop "Ttercho2 el 7aké" ...

#24 October 8 2009

J4D

what do you mean  ! :mad:     !

#25 October 8 2009

mir

lol Yorgi !
:lol::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

Board footer