LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 4 2009

TheIlluminative

Learning Programming

Hi guys.

I really want to Know how to program a Project or a site. How to start and From where ? what's the easiest Language to Learn and how ? 

I have couples of websites , but I am paying for some programmers to do the Job :rolleyes: I want to start dealing with my own sites :lol:

Thanks

#2 October 4 2009

BashLogic

Re: Learning Programming

TheIlluminative wrote:

Hi guys.

I really want to Know how to program a Project or a site. How to start and From where ? what's the easiest Language to Learn and how ? 

I have couples of websites , but I am paying for some programmers to do the Job :rolleyes: I want to start dealing with my own sites :lol:

Thanks

its about time you got introduced to stuff such as joomla. google it!

btw, joomla is not a programing language its a ready to use framework...

Last edited by BashLogic (October 4 2009)

#3 October 4 2009

teodorgeorgiev

Joomla is really easy to use, but is full of security exploits. Every time I open the bugtraq news - joomla is there.
Maybe Drupal? Powerful and secure, but harder to learn, it is like a beast :)

For web programming - PHP is the language :)

#4 October 4 2009

xterm

Rather hard to give a direct answer, it would all depend on the time you intend to spend before becoming productive.

#5 October 7 2009

Joe

Here's a quick list of programming languages you can learn, depending on what you're interested in:

Kernel hacking, low level coding -> C then assembly, then maybe C++.
Web development -> HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, XML, AJAX, then maybe Java (then JEE), or you can go C# then the whole .NET platform
Applications -> C#, Java, C++, Python (very powerful, and easy to learn. Only disadvantage is that there is no professional demand to it).
System administration -> Perl, Ruby, bash, Python, any scripting language.

Once you decide what you are interested in, Google the name of the language + "tutorial". And start coding directly.
Remember you only learn through practice.

#6 October 7 2009

Piotr

well if you want to build the whole website on your own, i would recommand you to learn c# or vb, and then just to asp.net. You will need some basic knowledge of css and sql.
Torrent ( 3al lebneneh  ) this gr8 book:
"
Beginning ASP.NET 3.5
in C# 2008
From Novice to Professional,
Second Edition

Matthew MacDonald
"

you find the same book written in vb.. but i prefer c#

#7 October 7 2009

teodorgeorgiev

rahmu wrote:

Here's a quick list of programming languages you can learn, depending on what you're interested in:

Kernel hacking, low level coding -> C then assembly, then maybe C++.
Web development -> HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, XML, AJAX, then maybe Java (then JEE), or you can go C# then the whole .NET platform
Applications -> C#, Java, C++, Python (very powerful, and easy to learn. Only disadvantage is that there is no professional demand to it).
System administration -> Perl, Ruby, bash, Python, any scripting language.

Once you decide what you are interested in, Google the name of the language + "tutorial". And start coding directly.
Remember you only learn through practice.

Rahmu, CSS/XML/Ajax are not programming languages ;)

Yes, Python is not yet widely accepted as a professional programming language, but I can not agree that there is no professional demand
to it. Join the Python community group at Linkedin. Currently they are searching for several Python developers in USA as well in Spain.

Good that you missed to mention ASP - enough insecure and buggy web sites have been written in it, MORE THAN ENOUGH :)

#8 October 8 2009

xterm

Neither is HTML.

#9 October 8 2009

GN90

you probably need some books so check out this site
free e-books form a very basic level to more advanced stuff.

http://www.gonullyourself.org/main/ebooks/

#10 October 8 2009

Joe

Rahmu, CSS/XML/Ajax are not programming languages ;)

I agree, but you still have to learn them. And for the professional demand, all I meant is that you'd be better off learning Java or C#, as there is a way bigger demand to these languages. But yeah I'm glad to see that Python is starting to get recognized as a powerful language in the pro world.

#11 October 9 2009

teodorgeorgiev

Yup, coding in Python is really productive compared to Java and Delphi. Besides that it forces the programmer
to write clean and understandable code and to code with OOP techniques.

Here is a nice pack of tips&tricks about Python.

http://gnosis.cx/publish/tech_index_cp.html

The Twisted engine for Python is a really cool one as well. Highly recommended!!!

#12 October 11 2009

TheIlluminative

Thanks I took the C++ course at Uni

#13 October 11 2009

mrmat

I might be a bit late recommending some stuff, but what i would recommend is if you are still fresh to programming, is to start with something easy first such as vb or a scriptting language, once you learn the basics and principles you can easily learn any language after that, as because most of the languages have similarities and the principles are the same. As for html its pretty easy, you just have to know what each tag does and css isn't that hard too.

When i first walked into the world of programming (When i was around 11), i started with simple stuff such as Basic, batch files etc..., then moved to some Scripting Languages, the principles became clear to me, and now i don't have much difficulties when learning new languages.

@teodorgeorgiev
IMHO, Delphi is one of the most productive and easy to use & learn languages around, actually its my primary language, so i highly recommend it.

Anyway, good luck with C++

Last edited by mrmat (October 11 2009)

#14 October 11 2009

teodorgeorgiev

Delphi is actually Pascal.

You can't really call it "one of the most productive", because it is not a not platform independent one. Your Delphi Windows code won't run on  VxWorks, Linux/UNIX, Mac OS, OS/2, OpenVMS, Palm OS, QNX.

A good majority of banking institutions still run over OS/2 and VMS. Mac OS and Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris are very popular as well.

Kindly think twice before writing...

#15 October 11 2009

mrmat

Yes,  it uses Object pascal, And i know its doesn't have a cross compiler (Yet ::: Have a look at the Road Map http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934),but Delphi excels in Client/Sever application development, database development and in many other areas. (From Experience)

A good majority of banking institutions still run over OS/2 and VMS. Mac OS and Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris are very popular as well.

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with Delphi, its more Windows

@teodorgeorgiev
IMHO, Delphi is one of the most productive and easy to use & learn languages around, actually its my primary language, so i highly recommend it.

I didn't say my words were facts, that is just my opinion.

You sound like you've got old problems with Delphi/Pascal, wanna talk about it

Last edited by mrmat (October 11 2009)

#16 October 12 2009

Joe

Thanks I took the C++ course at Uni

Good luck with it. As soon as you complete one or two projects, start learning Python. You'll love it!

#17 October 12 2009

teodorgeorgiev

The only thing I miss is an H.323 stack for Python or at least an $ASN.1 PER  compiler/decompiler :(

#18 October 12 2009

Joe

Never had to use them ... Not complaining so far

Board footer