LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 30 2009

Kareem

Nokia Laptops: Coming Soon !

Nokia’s CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo announced recently that the Finnish company plans on entering the portable PC biz, by launching a laptop, or more. We’ve heard such rumours in the past year, but this is the first time we’ve ever received official confirmation.
Kallasvuo mentions that the PC-mobile convergence will take both devices and merge them into one, so Nokia can only adhere to the process, while major PC manufacturers like Acer enter the smartphone market. Acer launched no less than the 8 cellphones as it started competing with fellow PC manufacturing rivals HP and Lenovo, while proving that one market segment is never enough.
The announcement that Nokia will be launching its own range of laptops has sent shock waves across the tech sector and could cause a (much) bigger revolution than Asus' Netbooks.

Reasons Why Nokia's Laptops Will Rule :

(1) Bargaining Power

Nokia accounts for around 450 million mobile phones every year and although the global economic downturn may dent this, the Finnish manufacturer still produces roughly 1 in every 3 phones on the planet. This gives the Finnish manufacturer a formidable bargaining power that can drive prices down, computer or anything else.

(2) Experience

Nokia has far more experience selling worldwide than most players out there. The handset manufacturer is uniquely placed to sell mobile computers to people on all five continents. The Nokia 1100 for example is testament of the company's fantastic ability to adapt to local requirements. More than 200 million Nokia 1100 were sold since 2003, more than the PS2 or the iPod.

(3) Brand Name

Nokia is one of the biggest and most well known brands in the world, regularly appearing in top 100 brands lists. last year, one published by Interbrand ranked it at number 5, above Google (10) and well above Apple (24). Its universal popularity will give it a head start in emerging markets like Brazil or Russia Interbrand | Best Global Brands List | 2008

(4) Comes With Music

Nokia has another card up its sleeve. "Comes with Music" subscription service could well prove to be a winner in more mature countries where it could trump Apple and iTunes. In emerging countries, combined with advertising, a free CMW could prove radical against the plight of piracy. All of course, bundled with Nokia's mobile computer.

(5) Symbian

Unlike say Asus, Nokia has complete control over both hardware and software. The prototype mobile computer that Unwiredview claims Nokia demoed at the recent MWC used Linux. But chances are that it will use Symbian, an OS and a platform that it knows inside out and that could be at the core of its mobile computer offering.

Nokia already has a large loyal customer base, and its products are widely considered to be of superior quality, sturdy, and stable. They have a ready distribution network, and have large ready supply chain and manufacturing capacity, which they can use to gain foothold, and emerge successfully in the field.

#2 August 31 2009

rolf

Re: Nokia Laptops: Coming Soon !

Dude seriously, I dont want to do all my work on a 5 inch screen, the 13 inch of the macbook are already feeling pretty small...
Although, maybe... if they can get in proper speech recognition...

#3 August 31 2009

mrmat

This kind of laptops are ideal for people who are always on the go and for internet use. I bought an Asus eee PC 701, its a 7" laptops with 4gb SSD, and now, after a month i am looking to sell it. The only thing i found it useful for, is quick e-mail and internet access.

Last edited by mrmat (August 31 2009)

#4 September 19 2009

J4D

mrmat   i can buy your eee  im looking for one :)    send me a pm  regarding the price :)

Board footer