LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 25 2009

MrClass

Hey fellas. Im a new fresh member.

hey fellas. Wanted to say hello and salute the developers of this website. I am a fresh computer science graduate with full addiction in computer gaming hardware. If there are any members that are gamers, i am more than excited to know the specs of your systems. Mine goes as follows:
-CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.4GHZ OC to 3.0GHZ
-Mobo: ASUS P5N32-E SLI
-RAM: 4x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 HYPERX
-PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 1200Watts
-GPU: BFG Nvidia GTX280 1GB GDDR3 OC (Soon another one for SLI)
-HDD: 500GB Western Digital
          200GB Seagate Barracuda
          80GB Western Digital
-ODD: DVD-ROM Compaq (The old drives which read crystal clear)
          Combo Drive Gigabyte
          DVD-RW Pioneer
-FDD: Are you kidding????
-Cooling: Thermaltake BigTYP 120VX Custom added another 120mm fan on top for dual air intake
-Sound: Creative Titanium Champion Series Fatal1ty X-Fi
-Case: Enlight P4 Prescott Customized with new look (inc. neon and LED Fans)
-Addional Cards: - Tv Tuner Mercury
                         - Via Storage Controller

#2 August 25 2009

rolf

Re: Hey fellas. Im a new fresh member.

Fresh Members!

(old drives read better then new ones?)

#3 August 25 2009

BashLogic

Now that was a (leb)geeky intro! Welcome on board Dude!

#4 August 26 2009

samer
Admin

Hello MrClass,
I'm glad you joined us :)
How did you find your way up here?

#5 August 26 2009

Xsever

Welcome MrClass,

I am sure you will enjoy your stay here. My specs are in my sig. Let me know what you think.

#6 August 26 2009

karim soubra

Welcome and enjoy

#7 August 26 2009

Ayman

@ MrClass, hello how are you doing? We are happy to have you here with us, enjoy your stay :)

Btw, your nickname reminds me of someone I know at my uni who is computer science, is your name Abed and from Haigazian University? :rolleyes: Bec. I think I know you ;)

Last edited by Ayman (August 26 2009)

#8 August 26 2009

MrClass

hey ayman. hmmm. your name seems familiar to me too. what year were you at HU?
and do you know imad ghamloush?

#9 August 26 2009

MrClass

hey Xsever. Nice rig uv got there. what games you play on that machine? Do you have any future upgrades?

#10 August 27 2009

Xsever

Well, number one I have unlocked the 4th core on my X3. So I am basically running a quad core @ 3.0 for the moment. I play H.A.W.X, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Arma 2, Company of Heroes, etc.

How much did your system cost you?

#11 August 27 2009

MrClass

it costed me alot. nowadays the prices are way much cheaper. I got my CPU, mobo and RAM when they were fresh in the market. they costed my around 850$, which now may cost not more then 550$. I then upgraded my graphics from 7950GT to GTX280. Which costed me 650$ (the 7950GT was 400$). i then hit a power problem. my 400watt was no longer sufficient. i had to go with 1000watt+. i got OCZ EliteXtream 1000W for 315$, which failed after 4 months (the series was a failure, pls dont buy OCZ PSUs). I then moved to a massive thermaltake toughpower 1200watt (im very happy with it). Soon ill get another GTX280 for SLI; only when they hit a price range of 300$. so over all i spend around 1000$ per year for upgrades. Soon when i begin to work, ill save money for a Corei9 Xtream CPU, with Quad SLI graphics (2 GTX295), and a 32" HDTV. Yeah, i dream alot. hahaha

#12 August 27 2009

Xsever

Interesting story! I was looking into OCZ PSUs when I was shopping for my rig. Reviews were not so good so I went with Antec. It's very reliable.

What games do you play besides crysis?

#13 August 27 2009

Ayman

hey ayman. hmmm. your name seems familiar to me too. what year were you at HU?
and do you know imad ghamloush?

Last year was my first year at HU, I used to play with you guys DOTA in the Computer Science Lab, with you, Joseph, Raffi, and Hovik. I used to always choose rikimaru and you guys gave me the nick name rikimaru, remember? 

Btw, I remembered you from your nickname, and I always knew you were a computer geek, so after I saw your post I was like 90% sure that was Abed from HU 

Last edited by Ayman (August 27 2009)

#14 August 27 2009

mir

Lebanon is a really small place :)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy

Bti2rabo la class cell ?

#15 August 28 2009

julien_saadeh

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I am also a gamer, I like to keep up with the most recent ones. But my hardware is not as powerful as yours. It is just as capable  :

AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology 2.0GHz, overclocked to 2.42GHz.
4GB RAM DDR2-800
Geforce 8600M GS 512MB DDR2 (OCable by 20%, I just avoid to OC it in GTA 4 to reduce the amount of freezes/day )
250GB HDD 5400RPM 8M cache (slow as fuck sometimes, I need to get a 7200RPM version)

#16 August 31 2009

MrClass

oooooooh! riki riki. I didnt suspect ur a geek (yet). Yes i remember u in the computer lab. how's progress in the computer science field? u like it? i still have 1 semester and im done (at last). Currently im taking microsoft courses to become a certified IT administrator. what about ur plans?

#17 August 31 2009

MrClass

hey Xsever. Yeah OCZ stuff are crap. i dont recommend them (except their sweet fast 1TB SSD, hahahaha, i want 1!!!!!!!!!!!!). Crysis was an awsome game. Basically i play every game released by EA, except sports (cause they suck). I mainly play car racing games (yes need for speed series is completely played), 1st person shooter like C-Strike Source, Warcraft, GTA IV, Fallout 3 (pretty awsome and complicated game, very recommened), HAWX, GRID, Fuel, COD4 (awsome game too, completed the career missions 5 times till now because of its awsomeness). Im currently waiting for NFS Shift ( i hope its not NFS Shit, hahahahahaha)

#18 August 31 2009

Xsever

Nice stuff.

Buckle up for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. This game is going to be a big hit!

#19 September 1 2009

MrClass

hey julien_saadeh. nice laptop uv got there. dont worry, laptops are also capable of gaming as well. Just make sure the temps dont exceed 60 degrees. I also have an HP laptop similar to ur performance (but with Core2 CPU and Geforce 9600). Laptop once reached 70 degrees so battery stopped working. I had to put battery in fridge to save it. hehe. it then worked fine. i see uv OCed ur laptop. i am mainly afraid to do that on laptops. I feel more comfortable squeezing extra performance out of desktops. ( i should try that liquid nitrogen one day, haha)

#20 September 1 2009

MrClass

yes it will indeed. i want to confess something. i didnt play COD5 yet. im not into world war battles

#21 September 1 2009

Padre

i have this relatively old bought machine :

Quad Q9550,
Thermal Take Water Cooled (Dual Fan) (it's like 2 yrs old tho, had to change the pump and tubing)
8GB Kingstone DDR3
GTX 260
Mobo DX48BT
4x500 GB
Thermal Take 750W ToughPower

i guess that's it

#22 September 1 2009

MrClass

hey padre. man, awsome rig. get another GTX260 for SLI, performance would be AWSOME!!!! I see you've chose water cooling. Did you get the pre-built kit, or u used thermal take parts and made up ur own ? by the way, i wanted to upgrade Q6600 to Q9550, but my stupid Asus 680i wouldnt take it even after a BIOS update, bummer. I guess my next upgrade would be a whole system upgrade. Question: which is a better mobo maker: ASUS or EVGA? ( i still dream of the EVGA X58, hehehe. best mobo so far)

#23 September 1 2009

Ayman

oooooooh! riki riki. I didnt suspect ur a geek (yet). Yes i remember u in the computer lab. how's progress in the computer science field? u like it? i still have 1 semester and im done (at last). Currently im taking microsoft courses to become a certified IT administrator. what about ur plans?

hey MrClass it is good that you remembered me :) Well actually I am not majoring in CS but in MIS, but I have all the characteristics to be a geek though  anyways, next semester I will be hopefully starting a double major: CS and MIS   It is very good that you are working on the certifications, they are very important for you.

As for me I still have a long way to go but I am learning lots of stuff on my own, I am currently working as a free lance web developer, most of the programming skills I have are self tought although I took programming courses at the uni last year. For the future I am planning to get an Oracle database developer/administrator certification.

A friend of mine who is a CS graduate told me that Oracle is in great demand these days for CS and MIS graduates, If you are lucky enough you can get a decent job at a bank with your oracle certification and CS degree ;) Btw, I hope you are doing you certifications at New Horizon, I heard lots of good things about them :)

So I hope to see at the uni in around in a month and maybe play a couple of dota matches  , it was a pleasure seeing you here, see you around the forums, have a good day :)

Last edited by Ayman (September 1 2009)

#24 September 2 2009

MrClass

hey ayman. yeah im studying at New Horizons, since they are international so my certification will be valid if i ever work outside lebanon. the price hurts alot, but good education is never free, right? anyway im sorry for the mixup, mainly CS and MIS courses are similar within the first year at uni. Double major seems good too, since both majors have lots of common courses. As a web developer, are you using PHP or asp.net? I took MIS278 (its a web development class) as  an elective course. We studied HTML, XHTML, DHTML, XML, CSS, Javascript. we then theoretically took PHP and asp.net. I then continued PHP on my own; im still reading though. Its very similar to java, and since java is rediculous to me now, PHP is going smooth with me. Im going to make a PHP website with MySQL database as a senior project. regarding oracle, it is in the field of database management. Im more interested in server management, thats why im taking microsoft certification. till now i finished 1 course out of 6; they are pretty hard, you must read lots of stuff before even registering for the class.

#25 September 2 2009

julien_saadeh

MrClass wrote:

hey julien_saadeh. nice laptop uv got there. dont worry, laptops are also capable of gaming as well. Just make sure the temps dont exceed 60 degrees. I also have an HP laptop similar to ur performance (but with Core2 CPU and Geforce 9600). Laptop once reached 70 degrees so battery stopped working. I had to put battery in fridge to save it. hehe. it then worked fine. i see uv OCed ur laptop. i am mainly afraid to do that on laptops. I feel more comfortable squeezing extra performance out of desktops. ( i should try that liquid nitrogen one day, haha)

Hello, my laptop does ALWAYS reach above 60'C. It slows down at 80'C for the CPU, fan goes crazy at 100'C VGA. I hope I will be getting a graphics card replacement by December, it is going to be a 9500GT 1GB DDR3.

Board footer