LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 March 16 2010

Joe

Re: Post your System's Specs

Yorgi wrote:
rahmu wrote:

I am no hardware pro, but if there's one thing I love is running Linux on old hardware.

I still have my Pentium IV running a stripped down version of Xubuntu with 256 Mb of Ram, back in Lebanon. Doesn't run as smoothly as I wish, but it's almost 10 years old and is perfect for web browsing/office work.

My netbook has an Intel Atom processor (god how awful!) with 1GB of RAM, and my laptop is a Core Duo 1.83 GHz also 1GB og RAM (DDR).

Old Pentium is still my favorite.

LooL... You have to consider an urgent upgrade to your system... i guess Replacement is the keyword here. But still, it's funny how Linux run under all conditions. I previously ran Ubuntu on a Pentium 4 with 512 Ram

urgent? really? Sure my system is a bit old (4years), but am I going to change systems every year just to have extra power that, let's face it, I do not need? (I am not a gamer)

Sure none of my systems would run Vista, but who needs such a demanding OS anyway? I'm happy with my shit and until one of them actually crashes I don't see a need for a change.

#77 March 16 2010

Hamboza

nice, very nice, well am getting mw2 for starters, so what's ur online user name maybe i'll add you later. i can't wait to leave work...cause iam getting my new lappy today.

#78 March 16 2010

Georges

I Have a steam account: Yorgii
http://steamcommunity.com/id/yorgi

#79 March 16 2010

Hamboza

So did you download mw2 original from steam, or buy it somewhere, cause i know lebanon is a fail when it comes to original pc games, so am gonna buy them off steam and download them.

#80 March 18 2010

Hamboza

ALRIGHT, so i finally got that vaio that yorgi got, its the best i could find around here. and man it is amazing. I already ran street fighter 4 and assassins creed on it, and it looked better than my ps3 or my cousin's xbox, really...

#81 March 18 2010

kareem_nasser

Of course it will look better :)

#82 March 18 2010

Georges

Hamboza wrote:

ALRIGHT, so i finally got that vaio that yorgi got, its the best i could find around here. and man it is amazing. I already ran street fighter 4 and assassins creed on it, and it looked better than my ps3 or my cousin's xbox, really...

Told ya... ;) and it's a Vaio

#83 March 28 2010

Renegader

Operating system:Windows 7 (64bit)

CPU type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz

Mother Board: EVGA 132-YW-E180-FTW Chipset :nvidia nForce 790i SLI SPP

CPU Speed (GHz):3.02

System memory (GB):3.999 DDR3

Graphics card model:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

Hard disk size (GB):965.66

internet (ogero) 1mb :(

Here are some pics of it

img0299io.th.jpg

sg4ljs.jpg

2dc6003.jpg

:)

Last edited by Renegader (March 28 2010)

#84 March 30 2010

Hamboza

i got a couple gaming stuff for my vaio:

1. a razor lechesis mouse: http://ariekanarie.nl/wordpress/wp-cont … s-side.jpg

http://simoncpage.co.uk/blog/wp-content … -image.jpg

2. Saitek cyborg rumblepad: http://www.maxconsole.net/content_img/360creza.jpg

the mouse is amazing, just google its specs. As for the controller, it's the best of two worlds, it has the firm grip of the 360 controller and the normal symetrical analog stick and d-pad; its crazy for SF4.

#85 March 30 2010

Xsever

@Renegader

Nice setup ! How much did it cost you ?

Last edited by Xsever (March 30 2010)

#86 March 31 2010

Renegader

Xserver: 3400$ including the screen and keyboard / mouse

Hamboza: i thought about that mouse, but the g9-g19 combination seemed a lot nicer to me

#87 March 31 2010

Flakk

is that the Cooler Master HAF ?  its looks awesome (but huge lol)
Gonna order one when pcandparts.com get it into stock again.

Nice setup btw and good job on the cable management. How did u twist the SATA cables like that ?

Last edited by Flakk (March 31 2010)

#88 March 31 2010

Renegader

Yes it is HAF cooler master 932, and about the cables just twists them around a screw driver really hard and they should shape like that

#89 March 31 2010

Kareem

Renegader wrote:

Here are some pics of it

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7951/img0299io.th.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/sg4ljs.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2dc6003.jpg

Kent ?

#90 March 31 2010

kareem_nasser

Renegader wrote:

Here are some pics of it

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7951/img0299io.th.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/sg4ljs.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2dc6003.jpg

awesome where did you get that MB? and tell me the cost of each part plz.

#91 April 21 2010

_joe_

After all the request:P my PC Specs:

Case: Antec P182 (amazing tower going as low as 35 degrees on the cores with original fans and heatsink)
Power Supply: Corsair VX550W 550W ATX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core 3.0GHZ Wolfdale edition (extremely overclockable just didnt need it yet)
Ram: G.SKILL F2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000
MB: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo ATX LGA775 DDR2
VGA: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 1GB 3.6GHZ DDR5
Display: Samsung T240 HD 24inch 16/10      |     Viewsonic VA712 17inch second monitor
HDD: 2x Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB
Keyboard: Logitech G15 gen 2 gaming edition
Mouse: Logitech G5 gen2 gaming edition
Mouse Pad: Razer Destructor | Razer Exact Mat
Sound: Logitech Z5500 5.1 gaming edition

Note that i bought this PC in Montreal and shipped it with me when i moved back to Lebanon a couple of months ago, i received it last Wednesday and I'm so happy :) :)
PS: i'm still up for discussing parts and optimisation price/quality for gaming if you point me to the right thread!

#92 April 21 2010

kareem_nasser

good PC give us Benchmarking once you do them.
One last thing......

OMG it is NOT VGA it is CALLED GFX CARD.

#93 April 21 2010

julien_saadeh

_joe_ wrote:

Case: Antec P182 (amazing tower going as low as 35 degrees on the cores with original fans and heatsink)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core 3.0GHZ Wolfdale edition (extremely overclockable just didnt need it yet)
Display: Samsung T240 HD 24inch 16/10      |     Viewsonic VA712 17inch second monitor

Note that i bought this PC in Montreal and shipped it with me when i moved back to Lebanon a couple of months ago, i received it last Wednesday and I'm so happy :) :)
PS: i'm still up for discussing parts and optimisation price/quality for gaming if you point me to the right thread!

Can you post a few frames per second in games on this thing?
Just to know if it is worth to buy such an expensive computer.

I always bought expensive stuff (200$ for a VGA that didnt keep up with the games already installed that day) til I learned to buy the cheapest and lowest performance hardware (especially CPU and VGA) as they last longer and you don't over-estimate them.

#94 April 21 2010

_joe_

julien_saadeh wrote:
_joe_ wrote:

Can you post a few frames per second in games on this thing?

I always bought expensive stuff (200$ for a VGA that didnt keep up with the games already installed that day) til I learned to buy the cheapest and lowest performance hardware (especially CPU and VGA) as they last longer and you don't over-estimate them.

hahaha i know it's not VGA it's just the slang we got used to when we were young so i apologize

As for the price of the parts, i got this computer for 1200$ (only tower and components) i hada lot of good deals and price match (on the website you send a page of the same item on a different website with a lower price, they give it to you at the lower price) so basically got the lowest price ever for every part (el lebneneh harbou2:P)
The mais issue with parts is compatibility, you have to get perfectly harmonized parts in order to get the best out of your pc, imagine i get 8gb of ram, it's like adding a turbo to a car, but putting it next to you and never using it.

I bought this Pc back in 2008 and i know that in a couple of years ill overclock it and it will still kick it.

Just know 1 thing, all games (98%) now are developed for consoles and then migrated to PC, so Basically, if you have a pc that runs recent games like Borderlands, MW2 and others on the highest settings, you're set for the coming years, no one knows how long, but i can assure you it will last, until someone comes up with a new technology "just for pcs" and want to experiment, like in the days of CRYSIS where running the game on full settings was an achievement. so until a game like CRYSIS is released, your pc is gona last, happily and the way i'm seeing it, there are no intentions of PC only games in the near future

You want me to benchmark which games?

Last edited by _joe_ (April 21 2010)

#95 April 21 2010

julien_saadeh

The newest ones, like Command and Conquer 4, CoD MW2, Dirt2, NFS Shift....

Oh... and GTA 4 because this game crashed many computers, including my laptop .

Last edited by julien_saadeh (April 21 2010)

#96 April 21 2010

kareem_nasser

lol its ok i got used to it is just we are gamers/geeks so this not in our territory.
As for CRYSIS:http://www.lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6322
btw the PS3 version looks darker.

#97 April 21 2010

_joe_

It's always worth it getting the best for what you need, i got a core 2 instead of a quad or the newly announced I7 (back in 2008) cause i knew that i dont need the quad, i got the best intel i could get (the wolfdale was rated as best intel cpu of the decade and is still number 1 on several computer parts websites in canada) it's just that it's extremely stable, going up to 4.5ghz in a breeze (ma bi 2oul akh) so imagine an overclocked 4.5ghz vs a low end or even middle end quad or i7, and all that for a baby price of 200$ (the lowest i7 available was starting at 700$)

as for the graphic card i was going to get the 4750 cause it was half the price, but then after reading the reviews on Tom's hardware, compared to the GTX280 (back then) priced at 680$, the 4870 (priced at 330$) was delivering an amazing benchmark similar to the GTX280 (the radeon 4850 was behind with at least 20fps on everygame) since i had a 24inch 1920x1200 resolution so i went for the 330$ 4870 card and i never regret it.

Get the optimal, get what you need, not what you think you want

#98 April 21 2010

_joe_

kareem_nasser wrote:

lol its ok i got used to it is just we are gamers/geeks so this not in our territory.
As for CRYSIS:http://www.lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6322
btw the PS3 version looks darker.

That's exactly what i'm talking about, CRYSIS is a playground for experimentation, but that's it, no other game make your PC cry and go to its momy wanting to get upgraded. So get it on console hehe.

I didnt get a console in canada so im not a console player, but i feel a PS3 knocking on my door, we will see. i just have a very satisfying pc station and i'm a shooter player, mouse and keyboard are my obsession. maybe in a couple of months you'll see me posting my console ids. just not yet

#99 April 21 2010

julien_saadeh

_joe_ wrote:

Get the optimal, get what you need, not what you think you want

That's right, as of now, I would prefer to get a new Sound card rather than a graphics card, because it will bring me better Sound in movies . I am not a gamer anymore and I don't even feel like seeing something full-screen

#100 April 21 2010

_joe_

The newest ones, like Command and Conquer 4, CoD MW2, Dirt2, NFS Shift....

Oh... and GTA 4 because this game crashed many computers, including my laptop .

Uff it's been years i didnt go to a shop and buy games, i have to go shopping then, i used to download them via rapidshare(don't say anything in the broadband/connection thread, they would murder me )

OH and GT4 is installing, i just remembered that i downloaded before leaving canada, i'll benchmark it using FRAPS and ill post screenshots. aslan i wanted to test the game

Last edited by _joe_ (April 21 2010)

Board footer