LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 March 12 2010

Kareem

Re: Post your System's Specs

Gargware wrote:

Ok so the motherboard is Asus P55
No clue how much it cost.. i just had the items flown in..
And for the rams.. i used 4 DDR3 4GB Rams flown in from abroad!
It's pretty amazing... just got out of Mass Effect! :)

use 2GB x6  in triple channel mode, much faster than dual channel, this is the core i7 advantage over its predecessors anyway..

#52 March 12 2010

kareem_nasser

P55? well i thought it was X58.

#53 March 15 2010

Hamboza

i dont wanna sound noobish but, i was wondering what's the best laptop available in lebanon at the moment? and by "Best" i mean: processor, RAM, and VGA. Cause i am looking for a gaming laptop somehow....So any advice and maybe stores to visit???

#54 March 15 2010

Georges

there's no definition for Best Laptop...
Alienware Laptops are undoubtedly the best gaming platform... Their overall performance (and Endurance) still have a question mark.

Sony's VPCF1190X Laptops are good as well. I Just purchased one from Sony. You can customize it as u want. and with customization, VPCF1190X can beat any other laptop. ( = $$$$ )

HP's Laptops are also good gaming platforms... Get a 1 GB VGA Dedicated and you're all set. I have a previous experience with HP. and i also recommend their new series.

After all, it depends on the budget my friend... :)
Fi Cash, fi Performance

#55 March 15 2010

Hamboza

Yorgi  - thanks for the assist, but i still have a couple more questions!
-for starters lets assume fi budget... but i have a dumb question, lets say i find 2 amazing uber-laptops, and they're the same performance and stuff, BUT one is cheaper because it has AMD (that's usually the case), so what now, do i go for AMD (cheaper) or will it affect the performance.
i know its a lot to ask concerning AMD vs. Intel in very few words, but i do appreciate personal opinions. Today i'll go check out some laptops at Quantum, Virgin...etc. just to check what's around, i've been sleeping for too long on the subject...

#56 March 15 2010

kareem_nasser

hmmmm my students Toshiba satellite are AMD whil another toshiba but it is an entry lvl Notebook is an Intel but Intel tends to be less heat releasing unlike AMD's laptop which release lots of heat non stop. and that prob i have heard of before but now experienced it and it seems to be true but note that the intel and AMD laptops arent the same series of toshiba.

#57 March 15 2010

xterm

Hamboza wrote:

i dont wanna sound noobish but, i was wondering what's the best laptop available in lebanon at the moment? and by "Best" i mean: processor, RAM, and VGA. Cause i am looking for a gaming laptop somehow....So any advice and maybe stores to visit???

It took me a while to find a suitable laptop i finally settled with HP DV8. I'm quite pleased with the performance i'm getting though it is a "relatively" expensive laptop (It's more like a desktop replacement).

Specs:

Processor: i7 720QM (Quad 1.6 Turbocharged 2.8)
RAM: 6GB DDR3
HD : 1TB
VGA: Nvidia 230M 1GB
Display: 18.4" 1080p
The other features are a plus : Win7, Bluray, Cam, Fingerprint reader and the lot.

It's a consumer product that works amazingly well. The only thing that i miss from Toshiba is the keyboard feel.

HP laptops, how can i put it, feels very weak in terms of assembly.

I paid 2400$ (About 3 months ago)

Edit: I tried my best to customize it and get the i7 920XM (Most powerful laptop processor to date, here's a comparison table for the three i7 http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=4 … 26,43122,), sadly the consumer products which arrive from Dubai cannot be customized. I'm glad i didnt pay the extra 1000$ though, I'm getting a mac soon enough.

Last edited by xterm (March 15 2010)

#58 March 15 2010

Hamboza

xterm - that's an amazing laptop spec-wise. But you said you tried your best to customize it, what and how did you customize it??? i thought laptops are limited when it comes to customization.

#59 March 15 2010

Hamboza

one more question!  say if i wanna cut down on the price, is it worth it to pick a core i5, and regardless of money, is it too much lower of a performance from an i7,

#60 March 15 2010

xterm

Hamboza wrote:

xterm - that's an amazing laptop spec-wise. But you said you tried your best to customize it, what and how did you customize it??? i thought laptops are limited when it comes to customization.

That's the thing, i couldn't. The consumer based laptops cannot be customized if you're buying directly from the retailers.

#61 March 15 2010

Kareem

Gargware wrote:

It's either not your desktop or something you'd like to build....

YOU CANNOT INSTALL a CORE i7 EXTREME on ASUS P55!!!!!

Asus p55 ( p7p55)  supports ONLY LGA1156 processors while the core i7 extreme ( 9xx) is LGA1366

pwned !!

Last edited by Kareem (March 15 2010)

#62 March 15 2010

eurybaric

Humble Specs:

Desktop(Bought Jan 08):
===============
-intel quad Q9550 - 2.8GHz (stock freq)
-Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (replacing intel dp45sg after it died on me -- Ps: Gigabyte kicks intel's Ass!)
-4GB DDR3 1333MHz
-Nvidia 9800GTX+ (Love this card!)
-1570GB HD ( 1TB + 320GB + 250GB)
-19" LG LCD
-and the small gadgets and readers.....
-running ubuntu karmic 9.1 (real time kernel) - windows 7 64bit - windows XP pro - and a while ago OSX 10.5.4!

-Audio interface: M-audio NRV10 (ROCKS!)

NoteBook: (less than a month)
===================
Sony Vaio fw-468 - maybe a bit overpriced but feels like a very strong build (unlike new HP's)
16.0" LCD
intel centrino 2 2.0Ghz
4GB ddr2 ram @ 800Mhz
Radeon HD4650
Blue Ray.....
running ubuntu karmic 9.1 (stock kernel) - windows 7 32bit.

And... Most importantly.... shrayet la yom el shraytet.. men jami3o

Last edited by eurybaric (March 15 2010)

#63 March 15 2010

Joe

I am no hardware pro, but if there's one thing I love is running Linux on old hardware.

I still have my Pentium IV running a stripped down version of Xubuntu with 256 Mb of Ram, back in Lebanon. Doesn't run as smoothly as I wish, but it's almost 10 years old and is perfect for web browsing/office work.

My netbook has an Intel Atom processor (god how awful!) with 1GB of RAM, and my laptop is a Core Duo 1.83 GHz also 1GB og RAM (DDR).

Old Pentium is still my favorite.

#64 March 15 2010

Georges

xterm wrote:

It took me a while to find a suitable laptop i finally settled with HP DV8. I'm quite pleased with the performance i'm getting though it is a "relatively" expensive laptop (It's more like a desktop replacement).

Specs:

It's a consumer product that works amazingly well. The only thing that i miss from Toshiba is the keyboard feel.

HP laptops, how can i put it, feels very weak in terms of assembly.
I paid 2400$ (About 3 months ago)

An advice from a previous HP user:
HP Laptops are NOT built for endurance... they're just good performers. With 2400$ u can buy the best alienware, the best sony (+ customization). [but i'm not saying that your specs aren't good]

One more thing, most probably now, your laptop is still under warranty. i HIGHLY recommend that you extend your warranty as much as possible. since 1 year warranty is pretty much useless. My HP had a 1 year warranty, and after 15 months, problems started to appear. I had to replace the screen, the mousepad and the AC adapter.
And believe me, they cost money...

And Here are the specs of my new Sony Vaio: Model Number: US-VPCF1190X-LBOM

Customization Details:

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor (1.60GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.80GHz
500GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)
4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
16.4" VAIO Premium Display (1920x1080) with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU (1GB)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit [i'll upgrade it later to ultimate]
Large Capacity Battery
Keyboard Backlight
Norton Internet Security™ 2010 (30 Day Trial) (didn't last for 2 mins )
Black
Custom Engraving

For 1363 $ : Shipping and Taxes Included.

#65 March 15 2010

Georges

rahmu wrote:

I am no hardware pro, but if there's one thing I love is running Linux on old hardware.

I still have my Pentium IV running a stripped down version of Xubuntu with 256 Mb of Ram, back in Lebanon. Doesn't run as smoothly as I wish, but it's almost 10 years old and is perfect for web browsing/office work.

My netbook has an Intel Atom processor (god how awful!) with 1GB of RAM, and my laptop is a Core Duo 1.83 GHz also 1GB og RAM (DDR).

Old Pentium is still my favorite.

LooL... You have to consider an urgent upgrade to your system... i guess Replacement is the keyword here. But still, it's funny how Linux run under all conditions. I previously ran Ubuntu on a Pentium 4 with 512 Ram

#66 March 15 2010

Hamboza

Ok guys, i think i fell in love!!! i found a very jood laptop

please please check this link and tell me what you think:

http://www.sony-mea.com/product/vpcf116fg

and please tell me about its graphics card, cause i had people telling me its good and others telling me its bad, but either way i think its fine for games.

anyways here is some of it's specs:

-ntel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor 1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.80 GHz*1

-4 GB DDR3 SDRAM*2 (upgradeable up to 8 GB*3)

-500 GB*4 (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)

-Blu-ray Disc™ Combo Drive

-NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU with CUDA™ Technology - 1GB DDR3

-16.4" wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) TFT colour display (VAIO Display + Full HD 1080)

#67 March 15 2010

Georges

Hamboza wrote:

and please tell me about its graphics card, cause i had people telling me its good and others telling me its bad, but either way i think its fine for games.

-Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor 1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.80 GHz*1

-16.4" wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) TFT colour display (VAIO Display + Full HD 1080)

Man, i just posted this laptop 2 posts above yours ! I bought this one. and it's amazing

And please, notice the * after each spec. (up to 2.80 GHz *1)

Last edited by Yorgi (March 15 2010)

#68 March 15 2010

Kareem

Hamboza wrote:

-ntel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor 1.60 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.80 GHz*1

I'd rather call it desktop replacement. Everything with screen bigger than 15" for me is not practical... But good specs though, wasn't available to buy a month ago i think because couldnt find it in the market.

#69 March 15 2010

Hamboza

OH Yorgi sorry, iam so dumb i even read your post before and commented on it...see how love makes people blind!

So about the graphics card??? you think its amazing?!?!?

hows your games running???

i might buy this tomorrow!

#70 March 15 2010

Gargware

Kareem wrote:
Gargware wrote:

It's either not your desktop or something you'd like to build....

YOU CANNOT INSTALL a CORE i7 EXTREME on ASUS P55!!!!!

Asus p55 ( p7p55)  supports ONLY LGA1156 processors while the core i7 extreme ( 9xx) is LGA1366

pwned !!

Well as far as i could remember i had the P55... :/ Hmm.. I think I should ask the guy who pimped the case which board he used (i am simply too busy these days and i gave it to a friend of mine).. cuz i remember him taking about 300$ for a new board alone.. i think.. blah.. i'll just run a systems check and see.. Sry for the wrong info.. it was unintended!

#71 March 15 2010

xterm

Yorgi wrote:

HP Laptops are NOT built for endurance... they're just good performers. With 2400$ u can buy the best alienware, the best sony (+ customization). [but i'm not saying that your specs aren't good]

One more thing, most probably now, your laptop is still under warranty. i HIGHLY recommend that you extend your warranty as much as possible. since 1 year warranty is pretty much useless. My HP had a 1 year warranty, and after 15 months, problems started to appear. I had to replace the screen, the mousepad and the AC adapter.

I'm pretty sure you're correct.

Anyone want to buy my laptop? :-) 2000$

#72 March 15 2010

Hamboza

Yorgi "please, notice the * after each spec. (up to 2.80 GHz *1)"
ok i noticed the * ; but mmmm what does it mean? :)  ?

#73 March 16 2010

Georges

It Means that this is not the original hardware in this laptop. You have to customize it and ADD this feature for some amount of money.

For example:
the 500 GB HDD (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm) is not the default one for this laptop. it's the 320 GB (5400 RPM).
if you want to add this HDD, or faster ones (7200 rpm)(or SSD's) you'll have to add a significant amount of money.
Same for the CPU, RAM's (upgradeable to 8GB), VGA, BluRay, etc...

#74 March 16 2010

Hamboza

SO Yorgi, what games have you had running on it with the highest video options and running smoothly. Cause someone told me that its vga is not good!?!

#75 March 16 2010

Georges

Hamboza wrote:

SO Yorgi, what games have you had running on it with the highest video options and running smoothly. Cause someone told me that its vga is not good!?!

Currently i'm playing COD6 MW2, Left 4 Dead 2... (those are the original ones)
In addition, i have: Command & Conquer - (Generals) & (Zero Hour), Need For Speed Collection, Counter Strike Source Code, COD4 MW, Fifa 08 and 09...
w bass... But i wish i have the time to play these games. (except of course the daily schedule of COD6 )

Board footer