LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 12 2009

samer
Admin

[pic] server room

0,1020,1445713,00.jpg

Credits go to Sadus (via Facebook).

#2 March 12 2009

battikh

Re: [pic] server room

oh, was going to send it
saw it today on digg

it looks like abstract art

[edit]why does every sentence ends with a  ????[/edit]

Last edited by battikh (March 12 2009)

#3 March 13 2009

proners

why does every sentence ends with a tongue ????

BECAUSE IT'S A BIT LIKE CAPS LOCK, CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL  /end-joke

and woaaa it's a nice pic

Last edited by proners (March 13 2009)

#4 March 13 2009

BashLogic

Ive seen several of these sort of pictures going arround but the most absolutely horible ones were the ones i saw with my own naked eyes.. my reaction was very simple and clear: ERADICATE THE IT STAFF!! start with the IT manager, you chop his/her head off and the beast would fade away!

its really horrible when such things happen.

in one data center, they decided to cleanup such mess, so they hired a company to do the work. the company began looking arround and preparing, the installed new cablings and shafts and the works but then came the time to get rid of the old cabling, the cables were all over the place like a spider web, on the roof, on the floor, on the walls under the floor tiles, simply everywhere!

so what the guys decided to do was to use a chainsaw to cut the old cables and just carry them out instead of doing the work manually. so in came a guy with a chainsaw, he cut all the cables here and there and had fun doing it. other guys came after him and carried away the cut cables.

after all that was done, the new cables were neatly binded and placed so the whole place looked ideal, a prime example of what it should have been like in the first place... untill...

servers began going bezerk, lots began crashing and there were just too many hardware failures going arround that everyone was astound. it was like frinday the 13th every hour on the hour.

so they began investigating what is going on. the end result was that they had to carry out all the servers and host them in another facility and have each server disassembled blown and cleaned up and put thru stress testing prior to redeploying.

the reason for all this was what the contractors did not note when using a chainsaw was that as they used the chainsaw, lots of copper particles were everywhere, lots of dust, metal debrie here and there and ofcourse in the whole server room and in each server. an ultimate kill of a data center facility.

they had to take everything out and burn up the air space to sterilize it of all the debrie and particles. during that time all the servers were carried out, dissasmbled cleaned up piece by piece, reasembled and operated in another facility untill the original facility was cleared for usage.

you can only imagine how much all that has cost and how much issues that caused. this is a true story that happened a few years back. a big fortune company was servicing another big fortune company an decided to cut on cost and use the cheapest third party contractor to do the job, hence the guys with the chainsaw...

#5 March 13 2009

xterm

You know that kind of reminds me of my room.

#6 March 14 2009

rolf

That is horrible :)
@Bash, thanks for the story. Yeah chainsaw definitely no-no for the server room... duh!
I bet the company regretted the whole thing, theyd have rather kept the current setup!
In such situations, the best you can do is start a new server room and gradually moving the services there, learning from old mistakes and taking this opportunity to improve services. A server room like the one above is the product of bad planning, and an bad master plan which has severely outgrown its original purpose, that is why it all should be started over from scratch with a more scalable design. It just doesnt make any sense that servers would be connected together like a spider web.

#7 March 14 2009

mir

well i have seen some more bad stuff.. i will post when have time :)

xterm : you serious ?
battikh: mom told me, each sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a  , no ?
( i am trying to keep down the nbre of smilies in my posts and it is taking me some effort, but it is working, you should try too  )

Last edited by mir (March 14 2009)

#8 March 16 2009

xterm

mir wrote:

xterm : you serious ?

At some point yes. Cables flying everywhere, hardware lying around everywhere. I miss those times :(

Board footer