LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 25 2009

tich

SymbianOS development

heya lads
I'm experimenting with developing my own SymbianOS-compatible app. After two weeks of struggling with the C++ syntax, i have now discovered that while my app runs on the SDK's emulator, it crashes on a real phone (and renders it unusable....untill you restart it). It seems the kernel is very sensitive to the way you write the program... even the emu crashes if you declare a variable and don't use it.. :/

Has anyone here ever developped for symbian-based products before?

P.S:i need moral support more than dev support
P.P.S: It's driving me crazy

#2 February 26 2009

xterm

Re: SymbianOS development

tich wrote:

heya lads
Has anyone here ever developped for symbian-based products before?

I dont know if this counts, but i worked on symbian in 1999-2000 on the first communicator prototype.

Do i still remember anything? No :(

#3 February 26 2009

mir

for the moral support part :

well at least you reached the real life testing stage outside the simulators

#4 February 26 2009

tich

@xterm: hehe thanks anyways :)

@mir: rofl :lol:.......but........but i don't want to go into real life :/ ........i want my mommy.....snif...

#5 February 26 2009

mir

well at least you are not at the point of " i want to die " ... you still want your mommy now

#6 February 26 2009

tich

haha no suicidal intentions kthx :) although i'd like to kill those bastards who maintain the SymbianOS  ...inno can't they write a decent memory management system? it seems they don't know how to prevent access violations,buffer overflows, index out of bounds errors. This is IMO why the kernel panics...  :|
oh and since you're here mir :) ,  is there any way to connect to an SQL database using JavaME? coz if my app doesn't work in symbian C++, i'm switching to JavaME.
thnx

#7 February 26 2009

mir

and since you are 3am tkabes here and there .. check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhba1lhBllM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_toolkit
http://www.qtsoftware.com/

Qt uses C++ with several non-standard extensions implemented by an additional pre-processor that generates standard C++ code before compilation.
Qt can also be used in several other programming languages; bindings exist for
Ada (QtAda)
C# (Qyoto/Kimono)
.Net and C# bindings
Qt Java (Qt Jambi)
Pascal
Perl (Perl Qt4; The Qt3 bindings are unmaintained).
PHP (PHP-Qt)
Ruby (QtRuby)
Python (PyQt).

It runs on all major platforms, and has extensive internationalization support. Non-GUI features include SQL database access, XML parsing, thread management, network support and a unified cross-platform API for file handling.

check their clients lists 
if you are willing to play with that , I am willing to help, i always wanted to work with it but no real application to code it

[ respects to bash for telling me about this ]

#8 February 26 2009

tich

wow that was a nice reply :)
well i saw that i could build apps using Qt, but never payed much attention to it. The task of moving to a whole new architecture was daunting enough  I didn't want to learn a new language frontend (or whatever you call the likes of Qt)... bas the fact that it runs on all major platforms  is a very good argument...AND IT SUPPORTS SQL!!! I'll investigate further into it once i have enough free time (btw i'm thinking of buying a time machine.. any suggestions for a good brand/store?).
I'll keep thou posted ;)

thx for everything mir :)

edit: oh and thanks bash :)

Last edited by tich (February 26 2009)

#9 February 27 2009

rolf

tich wrote:

haha no suicidal intentions kthx :) although i'd like to kill those bastards who maintain the SymbianOS  ...inno can't they write a decent memory management system? it seems they don't know how to prevent access violations,buffer overflows, index out of bounds errors.

If you have "something to be taken care of", I can arrange that for you... :cool:

Last edited by rolf (February 27 2009)

#10 February 27 2009

mir

yeah tich.. i forgot to mention that
meet rolf, our very best geeky hitman

#11 March 1 2009

tich

haha thanks rolf ;) I solved the issue btw, it turns out i made a typo in the .pkg file that governs SIS creation. All the comments about kernel instability remain though  I might not need Qt or JavaME after all
I'll report in once i finish the app :)
It'll be a very useful one. Specially for lebanese people
Can't say anything more, as it's supposed to be top-secret :cool:
laterz

#12 April 11 2009

Joe

By the way, Nokia has declared that it's planning on releasing Symbian's source code soon (by half of 2009 according to their wikipedia page). This meaning that Symbian won't be maintained only by the company but rather the community. Hek you won't have to kill anyone. Here'smy moral support.

#13 April 12 2009

tich

haha thanks. Yeah i read about that. Seems like Nokia has acquired symbian. Let's hope for better days :)

Board footer