LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 25 2009

rolf

Lebanese army should be getting 10 MIG-29

Its not terribly impressive, but still cool... :)
With regards from Moscow.

#2 February 14 2009

beezer

Re: Lebanese army should be getting 10 MIG-29

It is cool, but what benefits will come from fighters who have 1yr experience vs those of 10+

Personally. What we need for air combat is some portable anti air. Some Stinger 2's, or some laser guided systems. Starstreak.
That would cost less, require less training and do more damage.

I doubt these jets would make any difference at all.

Last edited by beezer (February 14 2009)

#3 February 14 2009

Tigerheart.Hackers

Lebanese pilots go for actual live training in the US every once in a while, around 3 or 4 times a year. It was funny back then, that they trained when they had no planes. No that they do, they don't go anymore.

#4 February 15 2009

nuclearcat

All decent antiaircrafs units is complicated multiple-unit systems.
All this Stinger, "Strela" and etc not very effective against modern military aircrafs. Only if they fly low-altitude and have protection systems disabled. I'm sure Hezbollah have some.

C-300 and other "serious" systems is expensive,complicated, and extremely dangerous. Lebanon is too small and unstable(on the edge of civil war) to have such things.

#5 February 18 2009

beezer

The new Stinger missiles reach the same speeds as current Jet Fighters (Variants of F15/16/117). That's why the US is getting rid of their current jets and replacing them with F22 Raptors.

Stingers are very effective. Tried and tested in several scenarios. A jet needs to be just under 15G' Ft. in order to lock in on it. (And I'm sure we've all seen more than one Jet fly real low to the ground). Press one button, the person carrying it runs away for cover and isn't struck back. As for the protection systems? You mean flares and what not. They are effective, but new variants of Stinger missiles don't get fooled so easily and do a good job of exploding before reaching the target, scattering debris into all directions, eventually causing some damage to the jet. As well, let's not forget that the pilot wouldn't be so calm, cool, and relaxed to get those missiles off his plane when he hears the sounds of alarms going off inside the cockpit. He'd worry more about ditching what's coming at him, then getting to his target.

I'm concentrating on shoulder mounted systems, and not vehicles.
Your C-300 and other "serious" systems example is not one that I would agree on either. Big. Bulky. Slow. Easy to spot and just erase with an artillery.

Tigerheart. As for the training. Even if they did and would still be, 3 or 4 times a year isn't 365 days continuously. And on live missions.

Board footer