LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 29 2008

BashLogic

mmporg development

Hello

are there people here who are interested in starting up a new project. for ages i have wanted to design and setup an mmporg game so i was wondering whether there are others here who are interested and willing to participate, are there?

regards
BL

#2 December 30 2008

teodorgeorgiev

Re: mmporg development

Better join some existing gaming project :)

Do not step there without some solid OOP knowledge, and/or at least - LUA :)

#3 December 30 2008

Padre

we (me and some freinds) are starting a game project. it's a multiplayer but not mmorpg.
and indeed, solid OOP is required
do you have any ideas/targets for your game ?

#4 December 30 2008

teodorgeorgiev

Of course, games and OOP go together. Just OOP is made for games.
You create an object "Player" with several methods -> jump(),kick(),crouch(),cast_spell(). Then you create an object
gun with methods shoot(),reload(). The object is initialized with its constructor (bullets in cartridge, hit distance) and so on :)

Here is an-ever-working idea for a game/movie:

Hostile Aliens, which plan to attack the Earth. As always, they are gonna land and start with USA (a must - aliens always land on USA first). Bring an US hero to fight them. For political reasons, he should be black (if not black, then choose Bruce Willies). Let the Aliens target Russia as well. Bring a nice russian girl to help the US hero. He/She:

1. She should help him, but not move him out of the 1st. She should be smart, but He should be smarter.
2. He must save her SEVERAL times from death. She is allowed only ONCE.
3. She should fall in love with Him

At the end, USA is considered a winner.

#5 December 30 2008

BashLogic

actually im more interested in mmorpg cause they orient arround gocalism and mobility:
glocal= local & global at the same time
mobility= accessible via simple interface= mobile device, web, etc

noting these two factors assures a broad audience and users. and no im not thinking of 3d, preferably 2d. and i would rather start with the fundemental science of game characteristics and not with technology platform and themes. the reason is very simple, of many games that ive checked, many of them are not balanced which mostly is due to the fact that the game was not fundementally designed but created based on implemented tenchnology and theme.

starting with the fundementals, you are in a position to apply lots of themes on the same "game engine" with a rule/policy engine in between to custom modify per theme.

so once again:
- no 3d
- no to approaching from technical perspective
- no to approaching from theme perspective.

3d is limited to heavy clients and big screens
technical perspective is limited by implimentation limitation and legacy bottlenecks
theme based approach deems the game as a legacy product long before its ready

Board footer