LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 February 1 2009

battikh

Re: Any car geeks over here? :)

^^ for electronic stuff, i was considering turning on the engine (and the ac) remotely to cool the inside of the car before getting in, coz in dubai the car turns into a sauna if the ac was not on for some time...
but for the entertainment system, my brother in law has one in his car, dvd player, gps, rear camera, ... we never use it  well, he does like the rear view camera, but i don't, i hate it whenever i drive his car  maybe it's just that i'm not used to it...

#27 February 1 2009

mir

well, the remote thing is nice and useful specially in dubai heat

would u ever consider some car modding/ wazwaza ?
maybe write a big M!R on it in pink

since in dubai u have to respect the law.. i don't know if u can test those added features of the car engine
3indkon shi matar halet ta trou7o t2al3o fi ? or do you have kwe3 iddeh titla3o ti3mlo drift hunik ?

#28 February 1 2009

battikh

^^
<pf> at the big pink M!R sucky things
i'm not much into visual mods, enno 2edewyeh and ma ba3ref shu, would never go for the wazwazeh stuff, M6 is all about class and shayyikeh and nou3oumeh, ...  so no, no pink mir on my car, no huge water melon, nothing
enno maximum i would go for a simple and small spoiler (already there, it comes with it men el sherkeh), and considering bigger wheels, but that's as far as i would go for visual things.

for the car engine mods, it's not super improvements, it's things that already come in higher models. the sports car come by default with turbochargers or superchargers, so it should not be illegal. even the mazdaspeed (which is not available in dubai) comes with it.
we have a track in dubai on which you can take your car, or rent a car there. i should also check if they organize drag races. i just don't know how expensive it is  bass enno on the roads, eno it's full of radars, so if you don't make 100000$/month, it's not worth it  that's why i'm looking into acceleration more than top speed. with a better acceleration you can have more fun while driving on the roads while still abiding to the law and not causing trouble to others.

#29 February 1 2009

rolf

battikh wrote:

question to the "real" car geeks...
if someone wants to to start tuning his car, what do you advise for a start? cold air injection? ECU reprogramming? or go directly for a turbo? the target is mainly some extra hp and better acceleration at an reasonable price  or should one save the bucks and just go for a better car before tuning the current one (specially that i know i wont be keeping this one for more that 1 more year)?

Reprogramming/chip is usually the safest, cheapes and quickest way to have some extra hp, if its covered by the company.

#30 February 1 2009

rolf

btw does it go beep beep beep when you hit 120 km/h?

#31 February 1 2009

mir

snifff sniff.. no big pink M!R on it ! teb a small sticker on the back.. geek inside (like that pic i sent you once of that guy car, remember ?  )
I was having visions of your mazda in that wazwazon style you see.. lazer w ytafeh w ydaweh w those lines like 3en l 7asoud tibla bl 3ama... w imshe 3al hada ya 3otr l nada and such

if i was you... i would look about funny ideas u can do

#32 February 2 2009

battikh

rolf wrote:

btw does it go beep beep beep when you hit 120 km/h?

hehe, yeah  so i have to raise the radio not to hear it  but it can be changed threw the ECU...

and mir, what about putting a disco ball in the car kamein? <pf>

#33 February 2 2009

mir

nahh disco balls suck... u should go for a lazer show.. like this it relfects more miles and miles away

it would be nice to make your car "stealth"... yes you can.. but u will have to do it manually cuz it is quite illegal
I am never gonna elaborate on this one
(did you decide on anything or not yet ? )
some gaming thing should be nice , in the traffic, like this u are driving in the game with sounds and such while in real life u are stuck in traffic .. btfish l khil2 shway

#34 February 2 2009

battikh

mir wrote:

it would be nice to make your car "stealth"... yes you can.. but u will have to do it manually cuz it is quite illegal
I am never gonna elaborate on this one

like riding a bike and telling people it's a ferrari in disguise?

mir wrote:

(did you decide on anything or not yet ? )

enno i did for the remote engine starter thing, checked for some prices online, it doesn't seems expernsive, around 100-150$. now i have to go check if anyone sells such a system in dubai and check if it voids the warranty of the car or not.
as for other modifications, anything would probably void the warranty, so the only possible thing is reprograming the ECU, and reverting it back to the manufacturing settings before taking it for servicing
i have also been checking for some circuits on how to make my own OBDII scanner, would definitely be more fun to make it myself rather than buying it online

mir wrote:

some gaming thing should be nice , in the traffic, like this u are driving in the game with sounds and such while in real life u are stuck in traffic .. btfish l khil2 shway

hehehehe
a cooler thing would be to replace the driving wheel with a playstation joystick
what about also replacing the seats with those massage seats  or putting a microwave and a fridge in the car. heik you put a movie and make some popcorn on the spot  ooooh oooh, i got it, the ultimate thing, microwave for the popcorn, a fridge for the beer, LCD screen and dvd player for the movie, some good sound system for the sound and the special effects, and replace the seats with lazyboy chairs.... now THAT's great for traffic...

#35 February 2 2009

rolf

I have no idea how the car computers are wired, but theres a possiblity that it will be logged somewhere when you reprogram the ecu... but again i have no idea what im talking about.
There are some chips or mods that are approved by the company, but it depends on the brand of car you have, and they might rip you off on prices.
but anyway, good fun and good luck, dont let me stop you.

Last edited by rolf (February 2 2009)

#36 February 14 2009

beezer

Sorry haven't replied in so long. Been busssssy....anyways.

Personally. From factory, depending on the type of car. There are several basic bolt ons that you can add that will dramatically change performance. But after every modification, you need someone talented to fix that magic air/fuel ratio. No matter what you hear. You cannot do it with some cheap $5 part. It's impossible, doesn't even give you a base.

My thoughts on some things.
Tune a stock car. You could gain anywhere up to 20HP
Exhaust.
CAI (Cold Air Intake) = POINTLESS
Cams. Better powerband.
Gears. Set right, help you in what kind of racing you're looking for.
Nitrous. Most cars can handle 75HP stock. Of course, you'll run into someone who'll say. Only babies use bottles. It's also expensive and addictive to use.
Turbo. This is the final modification really. After you've built your car up to handle more HP. Go with a turbo. Otherwise everything will break. With a turbo you'll need intercooler, exhaust, fuel pump, serious tuning, plugs and wires, maybe a fuel management system. It's a lot of stuff, that's why leave it until the end whe you already put that stuff in there.

#37 February 15 2009

nuclearcat

Cold Air Intake (intercooler) is VERY useful for Turbo and "compressor" engines.
IMHO all this HP/speed/power stuff is not useful, but yes, it is a car mod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carputer
Thats nice :-)

#38 February 18 2009

beezer

There is a big difference between a Cold Air Intake and an Intercooler.

A CAI is just an extension to your standard air intake, except lower down. Which in turn brings water into the engine when you drive into a puddle. Cold air is lower, that's why the intake is low to the ground.

An intercooler is a radiator type device that cools forced air (from a turbo) down to temperature. Because what a turbo does is it compresses air as much as possible, and pushes it faster and faster. When you do this, heat is generated. So in turn, you lose horsepower because you want colder air, as it takes up less volume in the engine. That's where an intercooler comes in.

Board footer