LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 14 2008

karim

Any car geeks over here? :)

Just what the title says... :)

#2 November 15 2008

battikh

Re: Any car geeks over here? :)

"car geeks" are in just liking cars, or "car geeks" as in being into tuning and stuff?
coz if it's the 1st one, i like cars enough to fake wanting to buy certain cars, faking about my budget, lying about salary, making as if it really was an option, ... just to get test drives  but still, i'm very far from being a "car geek"

#3 November 16 2008

nuclearcat

Maybe me?
I bougth new car, just because there is 4 camera, keyless entry system and instead of key "start button" :-)
Sure except this, it is very nice car.

And sure almost directly i open engineering menu there, same as on old car. But limitation of Lebanon, it is not enough easy to get required interface (OBD-II CAN) and software to dig more deeply.

#4 November 16 2008

karim

@nuc: Let me guess, it's an infiniti EX35? ;)

#5 November 16 2008

battikh

was on theverge of selling my car and getting a bmw 3 series for the same reasons, some cool gadgets that coeme in standard like start/stop button, bluetooth handsfree, ... but got really disappointed by the performance. test drove the 318, 320, 325 and 330, only the 330 was worth it to change my car, but costs like 3 times more than my car  so dropped the project, don't want to sell my backup kidney yet. but the mercedes c230 avantage is quiet impressive, MUCH MUCH faster than the bmw 330i, very comfi, nice options too and really great acceleration, and it's just the 2.3L and would VERY easily kick the 330's ass.

#6 November 16 2008

battikh

karim wrote:

@nuc: Let me guess, it's an infiniti EX35? ;)

i want an infiniti g37s coupe :(

Last edited by battikh (November 16 2008)

#7 November 17 2008

rolf

lol @nuc, he even wants to hack his car :lol:
If i could i'd get myself an evo or a WRX, or maybe one of those nissans Z thingies... or a porshe...
I guess i'm not a car geek, but that's only coz i cant afford one.

#8 November 17 2008

karim

@Rolf, the evo is a great car indeed... ;)

It's so good i wouldn't even compare it to an STi...

#9 November 17 2008

WizaRd

Evo.

nuff said.

Since you are still reading, I wouldnt mind a Lumina/HSV CR8 at all. Good aussie cars.

#10 November 17 2008

battikh

come on...not the evo!!!!
the evo is at the base a rally car, so to see if it's a good car or not, just look at the results when compared to other rally cars, to see if it's good it's in own category... and in the past 10 years it completely sucked in rally, their driver almost never get in the 1st 10...in it's category, it's one of the worst!!!!
personally, i prefer the peugeot 206 rc...

#11 November 18 2008

WizaRd

watermelon !!!!

mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x-gsr-premium-edition.jpg

isn't that simply... lucious ?

#12 November 18 2008

karim

hahahaha good one flyingwizard, however, in my humble opinion, the IX is a much better car... The X is so watered down, it's heavier, it's too silent inside... I dunno, it just doesn't feel like an evo.

It's true that in the past 9 years, the evo has had no success in WRC, but this is somewhat due to the enormous money spent by PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) and some other teams on their WRC rally program. Remember that Tommi Makinnen did win 4 consecutive titles 1996-1999

I would however look at the success of the Evo in Gr.N rallying worldwide, when you come to understand that the Gr.N cars are simply production cars with a rollcage, a restrictor, and a different suspension setup, you will understand the commercial success of the Evo. The only Evo equivalent in the Citroen range would be the C4 VTR, at a mind boggling 180bhp, with front wheel drive... I'm sure it would make an amazing rally car... lol

Last edited by karim (November 18 2008)

#13 November 18 2008

karim

i prefer the peugeot 206 rc

i missed this when reading your post previously... :|

I'm sure Sebastien Loeb won all these races on a 206RC based car.

#14 November 18 2008

WizaRd

I just state cars that I could possibly afford somewhere in the next 4-5 years.

I know everyone wants a Veyron  but it isnt quite easy hehehe.

(Oh and the budget is based on my preference 0-km // stock // "men l sherke" attitude. if you want to tune cars, there's just too many to choose from :) )

#15 November 19 2008

mir

huh.. hein... what ... eish ... ?

* feels stupid *
for the first time on this forum i feel stupid

hala2 just ta itzeka and give my opinion , habet the infinity g37 something
Infiniti-G37-Coupe-2-lg.jpg
wouw.. kinda nice ( ma3 inno donno shu fi b2alba, it is like choosing a computer based on case  )

as for nuc, what did you guys expect ! of course he would hack the systems in his car 
i am not even surprised !

as for my car preferenes, i like our ex old honda , so many fond memories kazdara bl sou2 and you kinda don't care iza fetit bl 7et ... u wouldn't be able to tell even !

#16 November 20 2008

rolf

donkey-car.jpg

#17 November 20 2008

battikh

@karim
yeah, good point... but the subaru is still better in the class N
sorry, i just hate the evo

@flyingwizard
the car's look is really aggressive but it's not that nice... and the black front of the car is so damn ugly... on this pic it doesnt look wrong coz the car itself is black, but for other colors... it's so yikh

mir wrote:

wouw.. kinda nice ( ma3 inno donno shu fi b2alba, it is like choosing a computer based on case  )

the inside is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally nice. sit in it and i give you 5minutes before falling asleep. it's soooooo comfortable, the good nice comfortable leather sports seats, bteghra2eh fiyon and they take the shape of your body, so damn comfortable, seriously...
and the gps has this small joystick... you girls like joysticks, you should like it...

anyone has 45000$ to give away? i would REALLY appreciate it.... isn't my appreciation enough? pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Last edited by battikh (November 20 2008)

#18 November 20 2008

mir

and the gps has this small joystick ... you girls like joysticks, you should like it..

no, we don't like small joysticks  :rolleyes: ( reminds me of an ad )

well.. battikh, ma 2ilak 2illa Santaaa ! ( have you been good this year ? )

u don't need 45 000 $ , you just need 45 friends and from each an easy 1000 $ (make a deal with them, like they won't have to bring you birthday presents for 10 years - avg birthday present 100 $ - and u get the car)
or if u want... mno2soma :) i would need someone to drive it anyway
bas iza nkasret l lamba.. min hala2 3am ilak.. badna nmout l jou3 ta nirja3 njib wi7deh tenyeh, so u have to drive carefully

btw.. did you test drive it ?
( there is always the option of working as valet parking in clubs  )

#19 November 21 2008

WizaRd

OOOO look at this, I didnt know they made a special edition of the car, sorry.. supercar !

1943363294_57876ab5ac_o.jpg

Going off-topic, but THAT is my dream car

F430 Scuderia !!!!!!!

#20 November 21 2008

nuclearcat

Most of them highly unpractical. Just guess guys... even u got this car. What u will do it?
It will get rust on ur parking
1)Fuel. It is sensitive and needs very good fuel. And a lot of it :-D
2)Roads (and road bumps). I got EX, because it is small, but enough higher than usual car.

3) Just my complaint. Scream of my soul.
Scratches on lebanese roads because of careless drivers. And lebanese parkings. Yesterday i park in most far corner of Citymall. Parking was empty. Sure i came back, some f^^^g stupid idioto parked on totally empty parking too close to my car(on ALLL line there was 2 cars only, my and his, he had around 6-10 EMPTY places choice, and he choose near my car. Why he didnt choose just empty place where is 3-4 meter free for his stupid doors) and scratched a bit my door, cause he cannot open his driver door... My passengers also laugh on me when i was parking most close to wall as possible, that other drivers can park more easily (if suddently parking become full).

Well... on such nonsense i was furios, i took metallic thing from my car and scratched whole side of his car. Yes i know, it is not good. But lebanese drivers, who is careless, because they have "insurance", and they think it is "permission to do accident or scratch someone car" just killing me. They just dony know, that insurance doesn't give money even for normal "bodyshop", and all that shit takes a lot of time.

This is most idiotic situation i face. Just imagine. W - Wall, E - Empty parking lot, M - my car, A - car of this asshole
Line was - WMEEWEEEWEEEWEEEW.
He park - WMAEWEEEWEEEWEEEW..
WTF.

If i so who is that driver i gonna hit him.

Sorry again :-D
And just think guys. U got new ferrari. And some moron lazy to park well and scatch it. And left. And each scratch on ferrari would cost u or $300-$500 (or even whole body repaint, if they damage also metal), or u can go to "insurance" and ur repaint will be well visible on sunlight.

#21 November 25 2008

beezer

Don't have a really impressive car in Lebanon. But used to be part of, and manage the fastest racing team in Ontario back in 2003.

http://94octane.com

Our fastest street legal car was/is a 670RWHP 94 Toyota Supra. Done with a T78 single turbo setup.
She's pretty :)

#22 November 25 2008

karim

nice one beezer...

finally the kind of car geek i was looking for! :)

what times/mph would the car run on the track? i'm guessing somewhere in the low 10's, with a trap of 125+... :)

i haven't dyno'd my car yet, but i am estimating somewhere around 420bhp as she sits... she still has more to give though... ;)

#23 November 27 2008

beezer

I forget what the times were, I don't think we reached anywhere in the single digits though.
I even forget my own personal bests for my motorcycle. (used to race an '03 636).

What're you driving, and where are you getting your parts from?
And they have a dyno in Lebanon? That knows how to fine tune and everything?! I'm impressed.

#24 February 1 2009

battikh

question to the "real" car geeks...
if someone wants to to start tuning his car, what do you advise for a start? cold air injection? ECU reprogramming? or go directly for a turbo? the target is mainly some extra hp and better acceleration at an reasonable price  or should one save the bucks and just go for a better car before tuning the current one (specially that i know i wont be keeping this one for more that 1 more year)?

Last edited by battikh (February 1 2009)

#25 February 1 2009

nuclearcat

Well u can play with electronics also. Make a entertainment system, which can do security alarm and tracking stuff (over GPS and GSM cell numbers).

Board footer