LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 10 2008

karim

My new toy. :) (Mobile phone story inside)

As of last Wednesday, I am the proud owner of a new Nokia N85. It's almost the same as an N96, the differences come down to

N85 (left), N96 (right)
-Screen size: 2.6" vs 2.8", N96 has a bigger screen, but the phone is also bigger
-Screen technology: amazing bright OLED vs backlit LCD, N85 is much better
-Storage: included 8gb sdcard vs 16gb built in
-Features: N96 has DVB-H which is mobile digital tv broadcast, which is something Lebanon won't be having in this lifetime.

Oh and the N96 has a gimmicky stand that pops out the back to hold the phone straight up on a table to watch videos.

Anyways, it's my first Nokia in a long time (Ericsson T28i, T68, Sony Ericsson T610, T630, K700, K750, K800, K850), with a Nokia 6600 somewhere between the K700 and the K750, and a Nokia 6300 between the K800 and the K850...

It is pretty obvious i'd been an SE fan for quite a while, but playing around with my friend's N95 8GB a few weeks after i got my k850 (around Jan 2008) made me regret my decision, although I did keep it for a while, until now. :)

It's my first wifi enabled phone, and after less than a week, I have no idea how i was ever able to live without it, even though I have GPRS on my phone.

My favorite part about it is actually Fring. It's a VoIP service that allows you to use most IM accounts, and make gtalk and skype calls through your phone. I call the US/Canada for 2.1 cents a minutes using skypeout, and i talk to most my friends abroad for free, straight from my mobile.  (i used to always do it from my PC), but now i have it whenever there is wifi, which is almost everywhere (home, work, uni, coffee shops)

I'll post some pics up whenever I have time, but you can google it to find out what it looks like.

Questions and comments are welcome....

#2 November 10 2008

mir

Re: My new toy. :) (Mobile phone story inside)

well.. i know exactly what it would feel like 
Congrats on the new toy   and Hoping for a Happily Ever After for you and your cell 

u seem to be such a cell phone Geek hahahaha

and just to ask a  question since u wanted us to :
how was the migrating process of data and such ?

what games can you play ?

and somewhere on my hdd i have a nice long list of mobile apps ( really long list )
so if there is something that you want and can't get let me know (even tho i doubt)

Last edited by mir (November 10 2008)

#3 November 10 2008

BashLogic

you could have obtained the e90, you get a fully keyboard, i use it often to ssh my self all arround ;)
ive been using fring for at least a year, its a bit buggy but works.

congrats ;)

#4 November 10 2008

battikh

long live to my htc tytn ii, the love of my life <3
it has pretty much everything that can be put in a cellphone: touchscreen, qwerty keyboard (after using one, u can't send sms on regular phone keypads anymore, feels so outdated and slow), tilted 2.8" screen (so you can tilt it, put it on a table, and watch movies, also much much more comfortable for typing), gsm/gprs/hspda, WiFi, 128MB of ram, 400MHz processor, GPS, ...
great for watching movies, i just put my riped dvds and series on it and here you go...
wifi is great, and the qwerty keyboard helps a lot for surfing
and for gaming, you have everything, j2me apps work on it, all microsoft apps too, and then you have all the emulators, nes, snes, gba, ... and you have all the apps you want, fring, msn, facebook, opera, skype, vnc, putty, ... just name it.
and somehow, on the mobile market, windows mobile is one of the most customizable OS. yes, it's slow by default, but all you need is a cooked rom to make things much better. and so many apps for windows mobile...
i just love it...

Last edited by battikh (November 10 2008)

#5 November 10 2008

karim

I owned an imate jam sometime in the past, and i honestly hated it... It was slow, battery life was horrible, you'd loose your contact every time the battery ran off... To use wifi you had to take off the memory card... It was extremely annoying, I just ditched it.

It seems they made huge progress on the newer devices, but i think I'm happy the way i went. Oh and concerning the E90, I had one sitting at home. My dad got it, hated it (it was too big), then he went back to his E51, I didn't want it for the exact same reason.

#6 November 10 2008

BashLogic

true that the e91 is big in size but smaller than the previous model and serves functions unavailable in other phones, the only thing it doesnt have is the tv support. ive had my e90 close to 2years now and using it with the bluetooth headphone keeps things smooth, no need to hold on any device against my ear, it beats them all ;)

#7 November 11 2008

rolf

I knew a girl who had a n95...
maybe i still know her...

Board footer