LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 22 2008

ellobeirut

Best Unlimited Service? Please Help

Hello all, been reading the forums and I am new to the country but my my am I glad to be here!  The only concern I have is establishing a solid, fast, reliable internet service.  Been going site to site, started with ogero and mobi, moved on to terra, IDM, cyberia and I am really unsure.

One thing that is going to be necessary is unlimited nightly traffic.  I am from the US and have a slingbox hooked to my tv at home and plan to watch a lot of tv over the internet between the hours of 11 and 3.  I also intend on getting on xbox live with my 360.

I am in the bir hassan area and I would just like to know what your thoughts are on the best service for me.  I am planning on going with the 512k connection but only if the double speed from 8-8 is legitimate.  So that's my first question, second, what do you guys think is the most reliable service at this point? (consistent speed 512+, no lag etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

#2 August 22 2008

nuclearcat

Re: Best Unlimited Service? Please Help

Regarding TV and timing, from 11 till 0 (and even till 1 on some ISP) it is "peak" time. I am almost sure, there is no ISP who is willing to provide for end-user such bandwidth(live video), if it is unlimited, except it is real commercial price.

Real commercial price for backbone in Lebanon, you cannot find lower than $1600/Mbit.
The only point i can guide you - some startups, who have free bandwidth still.

#3 August 22 2008

ellobeirut

I understand it is peak time however it is still unlimited traffic after 11 on most ISPs right?  Also, if I have 512k plus the double speed at that time what should I anticipate my connection speed to be?

Thanks for your help cat

#4 August 22 2008

nuclearcat

No idea, it depends on ISP. Because most of ISP's doesn't care about proper QoS - probably you cannot expect something specific.If you can convience them to put you on good backbone, or just by luck in your location it is already good (as i know some ISP's have different backbones at different places, no idea why) - then it will be all fine. If not - try to call your customer support and ask them why it is slow and speed not matching advertised.

#5 August 23 2008

WizaRd

Also you have to note that you rarely get the the advertised bandwidth on most ISPs.

Don't expect a 256K connection to give you a 32KB/s download speed but something along the 25-26KB/s.

#6 August 23 2008

ellobeirut

Wizard does double the speed usually mean double the speed though? If i have double speed on a 512K connection can I expect at least a 512 connection during the double speed time period?

#7 August 23 2008

samer
Admin

can I expect at least a 512 connection during the double speed time period?

I think you'll have at least 480k but an average of 600k

#8 August 23 2008

ellobeirut

Thank you samer, I was thinking about going 1024 but I figured since most of my usage will be after 8 PM there is no point. 

I think I have decided on Cyberia 512 with unlimited night traffic and double speed 8-8, a couple people have told me they have the most reliable/fastest service.  Do you disagree? I am in Bir Hassan/Jnah.

Thanks again

Last edited by ellobeirut (August 23 2008)

#9 August 24 2008

nuclearcat

Probably there is not much people, to answer this questions. Maybe good idea to ask neighbours... :-)

#10 August 24 2008

samer
Admin

Ellobeirut, I have received positive feedback regarding Cyberia's DSL service. However, I have no idea if it works as good in the Jnah area.

#11 August 25 2008

WizaRd

If latency is also a concern.. stay away from terranet and IDM.

Otherwise they are all more or less the same.

#12 August 27 2008

ellobeirut

Thanks guys your help is really appreciated.  Going ahead with cyberia and I will let you guys know how it works out!

#13 August 29 2008

samer
Admin

You're welcome ellobeirut,
I hope you'll stick around :)

Board footer