LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 6 2008

mir

Need Help Finding some Stats

Has it ever occured to you that all those geekism activity have a really huge impact on the environment
-- most ppl close the tab now --

well.. if you are still reading
i am trying to get some statistics and number on the bad things technology is doing

I was discussing with someone on gtalk
here are couple of things he mentioned :
- for every computer made, 2.5 tons of raw materials are used
- do you know that recycled mobile phones and computers yeld more gold nowadays than mines?

I mentioned to him as well the subject of moden slavery happening cuz of modern reasons (congo tin soldiers .. cnn world untold stories )

so i need help in finding stats and numbes and facts like those
post about anything you find, that would be much appreciated

thanks

#2 June 7 2008

battikh

Re: Need Help Finding some Stats

the ps3 consumes more power than a fridge, 2 times more than a pc.

and for the raw materials needed to build a pc, it's 1.8 tones (crt screen included), from which 1.5 tones are just water (which is "easily" recyclable and re-used)

and for the gold thing, are you sure? coz there is very few gold used in cellphones, just on the PCB. i think you need around 8000 cellphones to make 1 gold necklace. if there are 3 billion cellphones, with this we can make 375000 necklaces which is the equivalent of mining 9.375 tonnes of gold ore (25 tones of gold ore per necklace). worldwide reserves of gold ore are 729 million tonnes. and around 90% of the gold in a cellphone can be recycled.

anyways, a better way to help miners is for you, women, to stop buying jewelery :@ it's good only for you and bad for everybody else, specially our pockets :@

Last edited by battikh (June 7 2008)

#3 June 7 2008

rolf

The ps3 consumes 2 times more power then my fridge?? You sure?

#4 June 8 2008

mir

rolf:
battikh said that the ps3 consumes more power than a fridge, 2 times more than a pc
not 2 times more than the fridge
i did some googling.. it seems true that the ps3 consumes more than fridge
i think some kind of organization has to force the game makers to stick to some rules

battikh:
as for the gold.. i will re-ask the guy and re-check

anyways, a better way to help miners is for you, women, to stop buying jewelery :@ it's good only for you and bad for everybody else, specially our pockets :@

have you ever seen me wearing shi janzir da7ab shi marra ? have you? have you ?
well.. personally i am not into jewerly and such at all... i got much creative ways to waste my money  and somebody's else
and quoting zazie :

"J'en vois des qui se donnent, donnent
Des bijoux dans le cou
C'est beau mais quand mme
Ce n'sont que des cailloux

Des pierres qui vous roulent, roulent
Et qui vous coulent sur les joues
J'aime mieux que tu m'aimes
Sans dpenser tes sous

Moi je m'en moque,
J'envoie valser les trucs en toc
Les cages dores