LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 28 2008

Halo

Does VISP...

Have a base station near Doha El Hoss (Khalde)? We've been waiting for like one almost two months asking for the wireless service (512k) but we keep getting told one or two weeks later we'll give you a call. Why are we still waiting?

We currently have no internet except the VISP free dial-up, which takes around 3 hours to dial to get on, so we can't rely on that. We really need an internet service, there isn't much in the area so VISP is our only hope, for internet and for online gaming ( I heard latencies to BBC were like 90 ms ).

So, is there any reason why the installation keeps getting postponed? I'm sure I can understand if there are any problems or anything...

#2 January 29 2008

nuclearcat

Re: Does VISP...

Halo - it depends on availability of installation team and resources on base there. It is also probably not our direct base station, but maybe owned by some of resellers.

#3 January 29 2008

Halo

Of, so if it's not direct does that mean I won't get latencies like you mentioned in that other post? Cuz, with dial-up, I'm getting 300 ms to google which is surprisingly GOOD, unline the latency with IDM's dial-up, 750 ms.

#4 January 31 2008

rolf

Doha El Hoss (Khalde), where is that? Is that near the airport?

Last edited by rolf (January 31 2008)

#5 January 31 2008

Halo

Yeah, it's pretty close to the airport. It's around 10-15 mins away from downtown beirut, 20-25 mins away from saida, its just between damour and khalde.

#6 February 1 2008

nuclearcat

For now latencies for resellers and direct customers same. But this can be changed... all priorities on backbone QoS depends on price of account :-)

#7 February 1 2008

WizaRd

It is either:

-You cannot get directly to your customers so you need a reseller in the area to cover the wireless's range therefore a different price is payed by the end-user for the "same account"

OR

- You underestimate a user's activities for the account.
Example: A user wants to play online with a 256K connection. Why not give him same latency as the user with 512K account ?
Why should the end-user by a 1M account to get a better latency to play a game that could run just fine on a 256K if you allow it to ?

Last edited by Flyingwizard (February 1 2008)

#8 February 1 2008

Halo

Nuclearcat, if I told you guys at VISP, I want the 512 kbps with the 64 kbps upload plan, what latency do you think I would get with it? Also, since all I'm going to do with the internet is online gaming and some browsing (rare browsing), would you guys be able to give me a lower latency?

Pretty much though, do you think the latency for VISP wireless would be around 100-200 ms to the www.bbc.net.uk for the 512K plan?

Last edited by Halo (February 1 2008)

Board footer