LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 27 2007

mir

yet another 80-20 rule ! :S

i hate 80-20 rules
really
seriously
hate with all the power of my heart

i quote codinghorror.com who quoted somebody else

There are two "classes" of programmers in the world of software development: I'm going to call them the 20% and the 80%.

The 20% folks are what many would call "alpha" programmers — the leaders, trailblazers, trendsetters, the kind of folks that places like Google and Fog Creek software are obsessed with hiring. These folks were the first ones to install Linux at home in the 90's; the people who write lisp compilers and learn Haskell on weekends "just for fun"; they actively participate in open source projects; they're always aware of the latest, coolest new trends in programming and tools.

The 80% folks make up the bulk of the software development industry. They're not stupid; they're merely vocational. They went to school, learned just enough Java/C#/C++, then got a job writing internal apps for banks, governments, travel firms, law firms, etc. The world usually never sees their software. They use whatever tools Microsoft hands down to them -- usally VS.NET if they’re doing C++, or maybe a GUI IDE like Eclipse or IntelliJ for Java development. They've never used Linux, and aren't very interested in it anyway. Many have never even used version control. If they have, it’s only whatever tool shipped in the Microsoft box (like SourceSafe), or some ancient thing handed down to them. They know exactly enough to get their job done, then go home on the weekend and forget about computers.

i am sad to say that i belong to the 80%

#2 November 27 2007

WizaRd

Re: yet another 80-20 rule ! :S

i am not part of those 20% but at the same time i do not feel like I belong to the 80% either

but yea, let's just say, I'm not part of 20%  :cool:

#3 March 3 2009

entropy

mir wrote:

Then why do you do it? I don't think I'd be able to program if I didn't love it the way I do. Working on internal applications for banks and the such is extremely boring, tedious, and whenever I've tried that sort of work, very very depressing. I don't think I could spend hours on end in front of a computer screen writing code, documentation, testing, debugging(those nasty bugs that never seem to make sense before you fix them(and sometimes afterwards as well)) if I didn't enjoy the mental challenge and that sense of accomplishment I get once something substantial is completed.

So, again, why do you do it?

#4 March 3 2009

xterm

I'll try to be as brief as i can. 20%-80% is relatively untrue, there should be another rank in between. I am not a part of 20% nor am i a part of 80% but i sure as hell have the pluses and minuses of both.

To make a long story short, if you're working on something boring, make it interesting yourself.

#5 March 3 2009

xterm

entropy wrote:
mir wrote:

Then why do you do it? I don't think I'd be able to program if I didn't love it the way I do. Working on internal applications for banks and the such is extremely boring, tedious, and whenever I've tried that sort of work, very very depressing. I don't think I could spend hours on end in front of a computer screen writing code, documentation, testing, debugging(those nasty bugs that never seem to make sense before you fix them(and sometimes afterwards as well)) if I didn't enjoy the mental challenge and that sense of accomplishment I get once something substantial is completed.

So, again, why do you do it?

Granted. However some people do not have the luxury of actually doing what they enjoy. I could go on end giving you examples, but i'll settle with the most obvious case, myself. I've gone through alot of technologies but i had to settle with a lesser interesting one granted i needed the money that a certain company provides. How do i get through with it? I make it interesting by applying good implementation concepts, mostly DSLs, which relieves you from having to code as much.

I'll check back later, i have to leave now.

#6 March 3 2009

rolf

I dont consider programming to be fun, nor do I write compilers... :)
Yet I know linux, and wrote quite some code just to kill time, try a new concept, or just for the challenge, and never got paid for it.
Yet I still have hope to change the world...

Last edited by rolf (March 3 2009)

#7 March 3 2009

Padre

i dont think i belong in those 20% for the fact that i dont follow "news" , nor do i write compilers. (pretty interesting tho )
and surely not those "80" .....  coding , is like RE, cracking etc ... the thrill and challenge is priceless
(yeah the logic behind it is awsome too )

#8 March 3 2009

mir

well even i am not a 20%... i do enjoy and love my work
it is like somehow i didn't get geeky enough.

maybe xterm is right.. maybe there should be something in between.
and usually very few bidayno in programming if they hate it, you must have some addiction and joy in doing it to stay in the field, more than the other types of work.

Board footer