LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 23 2007

hj88

Finally some competition

As you may have noticed we can begin to feel some competition in the DSL area

Terranet is giving gouble the speed at night ( from 8 to 8 )

IDM has reduced the traffic price to 1$ for each 100 MB ( as compared to 5000 LL for each 100 MB  that's like 70% off)

I guess we can expect more offers specially because more dsps  are launching in the market and isps are moving away from ogero

UPDATE ( 25/12/2007)  : terranet is offering unlimited traffic from 11 till 7  let's see what other isps will do!

Last edited by hj88 (December 26 2007)

#2 September 23 2007

WizaRd

Re: Finally some competition

yup, and covered areas keep on expanding

#3 September 24 2007

duckster

Regarding idm's lower pla prices, it's because they reduced the amount of traffic one can use.
They now officially SUCK big time.
They removed 1GB out of the already very limited plans http://www.idm.net.lb/products/dsl/plans.asp, except the first one which was reduced by 400MB because anyway, it was only 2GB.
Shame, shame.

Trying to fool people with their billboards stating the new low prices, not even mentioning they changed the plan quotas.

#4 September 24 2007

hj88

duckster , i thaught like you at first but  you can see that the 512 connection with idm is 40$  ( 3gb)  ,  and the other 512 are 47$ (4gb) . so if you're just going to consume 4 gb the ogero plan is better but if you are going to consume more than 4gb the IDM  package is better ( 10$ for each 1gb on IDM )

#5 September 24 2007

duckster

can you point me to where they mention the extra 100mb is for $1? I didn't see it.
I don't trust such news. In our country, TOS can change anytime without prior notice. Plus, you never know if they alter the usage statistics in order to make some extra bucks.
Plus, it seems the price per GB is fixed, this is why when they reduced the price, they reduced the quotas. As such, how to believe that they will offer the extra GB at a lower price?

#6 September 24 2007

WizaRd

#7 September 25 2007

Padre

in this fucked up country, there is NO competition. they try to make out some "competition" to attract the customers, but in the end all what they do is resell other's product. so they can't really play a lot.

#8 September 30 2007

Hybrid

hj88 wrote:

Terranet is giving gouble the speed at night ( from 8 to 8 )

Instead of consuming my 2GB in 2 days, now i'll consume them in 1 Night....... yoooooohooooooooooo

#9 October 10 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Padre wrote:

in this fucked up country, there is NO competition. they try to make out some "competition" to attract the customers, but in the end all what they do is resell other's product. so they can't really play a lot.

A pure fact is that handcuffed people aren't much productive :)

So it is correct - do not blame the handcuffed, blame the handcuffers.

#10 October 17 2007

duckster

anyone knows how many days does it take from placing the request to having dsl installed?
- through ogero
- through idm

#11 November 16 2007

duckster

hj88 wrote:

duckster , i thaught like you at first but  you can see that the 512 connection with idm is 40$  ( 3gb)  ,  and the other 512 are 47$ (4gb) . so if you're just going to consume 4 gb the ogero plan is better but if you are going to consume more than 4gb the IDM  package is better ( 10$ for each 1gb on IDM )

So now what is your stance after it's clear that even ogero is charging 15,000 per extra GB?
everyone is a thief!

idm is basically fooling people, they are actually making more profit now, since what they are getting per GB is over what other isps and ogero are charging.

and ogero itself is charging $10 per GB, which is WAY unimaginable still.

on the other hand, can anyone confirm he's getting the speed he has requested? like if you have the 256 how much are you really getting? same for the 512 and 1mbit plan.
also, what about pings? some tests please.

One last question, regarding online gaming, any idea how much that usually consumes? I tend to think what gets transmitted is plainly player coordinates, moves, action etc, so it shouldn't be much right? (i know it depends on the game). if anyone has an idea for games such as cs,quake,generals, let me know

Last edited by duckster (November 16 2007)

#12 November 16 2007

WizaRd

FPS games (cs) generally need more bandwidth than MMORPGs (wow) / RTS (generals)

i tried the 128kbps and the speed was stable at 16KB/s (sometimes jumps to 22KB/s).. and that was during peak time 8pm

#13 November 16 2007

duckster

1- weird, people ive asked are saying they get a max 80% of the advertised speed.

2- http://www.jimjagger.com/JPages/JTutori … ossary.htm game me an idea bout fps and rts but does that means with fps, actual imaging are transferred while in rts and mmorpg, simple data such as player coordinates and actions are the stuff that get transmitted?

3- what about quake, in what category does it fit? and given its low resolution compared to other games, how much do you think it consumes per minute of game play? (just an estimate)

#14 November 16 2007

WizaRd

1- i dont know about all the providers.. i tried IDM and it was perfect.

2- you never have image transfers. it is always data.

Be it coordinates, actions, commands, positions.... you name it.

FPS tend to transfer more data (crouch,  jump, etc...) , but RTS's transfers are smaller. You have the same transfer speed on the same connection but in the end it's just how playable the game is with a slow transfer.

For example in generals you do not need a low latency to be able to command 5 tanks in order to attack a target, its fine if they get the order delayed few milliseconds.... but in FPS you die if you try to escape after your opponent has fired at you... i hope you are getting the idea

3- quake  is an FPS game. I never played it online but I have played call of duty.. and it used to consume around 40MB in an hour... you do the math! :)

#15 November 16 2007

duckster

thank you for the info:)

and i never expected generals to be less bandwidth consuming than cod and quake:) when i see generals with its graphics and compare it to quake, i always tend to think it should be consuming like 100mb/hour
but if your estimation is true for the above, then generals should spend less than 40mb/hour right?
cool

#16 November 16 2007

WizaRd

it wont exceed 10mb an hour :) thats for a 1vs1 game of course

#17 December 26 2007

hj88

UPDATE ( 25/12/2007)  : terranet is offering unlimited traffic from 11 till 7  let's see what other isps will do!

#18 December 26 2007

nuclearcat

Free Double Speed and Unlimited Night Traffic features are subject to feasibility study. :-)
But interesting move... i will try to do something too soon...

#19 December 26 2007

hj88

nuclear cat

are you planning( VISP) on entering the residental dsl market ? and is yes with what dsp ? and are you planning competitive offers ?

#20 December 27 2007

samer
Admin

and are you planning competitive offers ?

I guess the problem now is that everything is held by the government (i.e., Ogero ) , so i guess competition is pretty much limited.

#21 December 27 2007

hj88

are the dsp offers to isps controlled by ogero ? or is ogero only controlling the international bandwith ?

Samer : It is true that the competition is limited because of ogero but there will still be some kind of competition, i consider terranet offer a really competitive one

#22 December 27 2007

samer
Admin

hj88 wrote:

It is true that the competition is limited because of ogero but there will still be some kind of competition, i consider terranet offer a really competitive one

It's the same type of competition than that of Alfa and MTC Touch. Basically you pay the same (mobile) phone bills, but it depends on what communication methods you prefer (i.e., talking -> alfa, sms -> mtc ; For pre-paid cards that is).

Eventually, the competition is quite superficial since they both control the market and have made agreements to keep the price that high.

Just today I was discussing with a friend why they don't truly privatize the whole sector (rather than handing it to only two companies) - we came down to a handful of reasons, namely, politicians wouldn't get their cut out of it anymore.

#23 December 27 2007

nuclearcat

hj88 wrote:

nuclear cat

are you planning( VISP) on entering the residental dsl market ? and is yes with what dsp ? and are you planning competitive offers ?

Yes planning, but i dont have complete information in my hands. Probably there will be new player on the market (DSP).

#24 December 27 2007

hj88

nuclear cat : do you (VISP) have a dsp  ? and if you don't , who chooses the packages you or the dsp ? thnx

Last edited by hj88 (December 27 2007)

#25 December 27 2007

nuclearcat

We have DSP, plus we are cooperating with existing one. I cannot tell any names without management permission.

Board footer