LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 8 2007

Chris

How to Chill a Hot Beer or Soda in 3 Min.

How to Chill a Hot Beer or Soda in 3 Min.: [Source]

"So my father and brother-in-law were over this weekend for a barbecue. My fridge was stuffed with appetizers and salads so I was only able to fit a 12-pack of beer. Normally, this would have been enough so I didn't worry about it. After a couple hours, the stash was depleted.

I did have some more beer in the garage but the 90+ degree Chicago heat had rendered it useless for at least an hour. Now what? These guys all had designated drivers and, in all honesty, they wanted more beer. Little did I know, the old man had a trick up his sleeve that I had never heard of. If I had a video camera ready, I would have taped this because it was pretty cool (sorry, no pun intended there).

Here is how he took beer from 80+ degrees to (seemingly) 40 degrees in about 3 minutes.

1. He took 6 hot beers from my garage and he placed them into a steel pot from the kitchen

2. He tossed in enough ice cubes to completely cover the beer

3. He then filled the pot with water

4. Next, and this is the trick, he tossed in (what must have been) 2 cups of table salt.

5. He took a large wooden spoon and stirred this thing up to be sure the salt dissolved.

6. He placed the concoction into the freezer and in 3 minutes we had ice cold beer.

Frankly, I wish I knew about this little trick years ago. Apparently this works for wine, soda, or anything. The addition of the salt does something that I am admittedly not qualified to explain. If we have any experts that want to weigh in, feel free. I do however know that this works."

That's pretty damn useful if you ask me.

#2 July 8 2007

rolf

Re: How to Chill a Hot Beer or Soda in 3 Min.

You can also use ice plus salt to cause a severe coldburn on your skin. Here's how:
Put lots of salt on your skin (make a little mound) then put an ice cube on top. The cold will reach your skin so fast that you will not feel the pain... if you act like a tough guy and keep the ice cube as long as you can... you might very well end up at the hospital with a severe cold burn. Tried out on myself, the effect is pretty scary. There's also a video of a bunch of tough wannabees guys doing it on youtube, and that's how i learned about it.

Now why does this happen? I think i know.
Ice will typically have a temperature under 0 degrees C, say something like minux 15...
As we know water freezes at 0 degrees C. When an ice cube melts it gets surrounded by a thin layer of water. This water is at 0 deg temperature and I guess will act as an isolating layer.
If you add salt to the water you lower it's freezing point... this means the layer of water around the ice cube will be at the same temperature then the ice cube, and the bottles would be plunged in water at -15 degrees, which would not be possible if salt hadnt been added.
Hence the bottles chill faster.

I know my explanation sucks... but with a little luck you'd be able to sort of grasp it.

Last edited by rolf (July 9 2007)

#3 July 8 2007

WizaRd

"cups of table salt" .. shou el cups exactly ? cant think too much at 2:35am

bass damn nice tip

#4 July 9 2007

Chris

Kebbeyten mele7

#5 July 9 2007

WizaRd

lol i thought so, but is it not a bit too much salt ?

#6 July 9 2007

samer
Admin

*cough* ke7té *cough*
Great tip ^^

#7 July 9 2007

WizaRd

HAHA, well it is not about that, it just seemed way too much salt

#8 July 9 2007

mir

Cool trick .. really helpful for the geeks

eww about the salt trick
the cold burn disappears after how much time ?? or does it stay forever

(to add to the list of possible bets or to the list of the things to do when i don't wanna go to work)

#9 July 9 2007

Chris

@Flyingwizard: Why do you care? Its not like you're going to eat or even taste the salt whatsoever, if that's not the reason, then you're *cough* a cheap bastard *cough*

@mir: Why is this tip only really helpful for the geeks? Everybody drinks beer and soda

Last edited by Chris (July 9 2007)

#10 July 10 2007

rolf

mir wrote:

eww about the salt trick
the cold burn disappears after how much time ?? or does it stay forever

Did u try it on yourself
I did (stupid me) and I had a white mark on my arm for about one month...

Board footer