LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 5 2007

duckster

anyone installed adsl yet?

If so let us know what you think.

#2 June 5 2007

samer
Admin

Re: anyone installed adsl yet?

A friend of a friend did. I can't provide a constructive review, but I'll quote his words:

It sucks. Majorly.

#3 June 6 2007

duckster

why did i expect that

#4 June 6 2007

teodorgeorgiev

"
Now look at them yo-yos thats the way you do it
... ... ...
That aint workin thats the way you do it
Money for nothin and chicks for free
Now that aint workin thats the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys aint dumb
"

"Money for nothing", performed by Dire Straits

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (June 6 2007)

#5 June 6 2007

WizaRd

i think he majorly meant the quota sucks, besides that if it is STABLE why would it be so bad ?

It is just not tailored for high-end users, that's all.

#6 June 6 2007

duckster

flyingwizard is right, is it stable with constant speeds? is the problem only with quota? and ask him if there is a session limitation please.

#7 June 6 2007

samer
Admin

i think he majorly meant the quota sucks, besides that if it is STABLE why would it be so bad ?

No, he didn't mean the quota. He meant the speed. He's getting 350kbps for a " up to 512K connection "

#8 June 6 2007

teodorgeorgiev

PPPoA + PPPoE.

Ogero should have calculated these overheads before announcing the speeds.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/t … _home.html

Either technicians have forgottent to calculate the overhead (impossible, they are geniuses, right FlyingWizard?), or the marketing guys have decided to miss that important detail.

#9 June 6 2007

WizaRd

I do not have anything against them for they have specified UP TO 512K. At least it did not read UNLIMITED anywhere now, did it ;) ?

#10 June 7 2007

Hybrid

I've been told yesterday that DSL does not support VPN (even the corporate accounts) and of course it does not support VoIP
The guy that told me the story works at ogero or cedarcom (i can't remember), anyway first i didn't believe it, i mean wtf no VPN, so i remembered that like a year or more ago IDM DSL faqs said that VPN is supported, so i decided to check it back today because the faq was all updated like a month ago (when dsl was officially launched) and there is nothing about VPN..... so lol i beleive the story is true.... new high speed internet connection for corporate users with no VPN..... now i dont have a company or anything .... but wtf a new service, a new technology (In Lebanon of course) was released like a month ago, and so far every one who i asked said: it either sucks or he's not gonna get it..... i've been also told that terranet have like 3 or 4 DSL accounts only so far.... this is like the most disastrous new service i see in my whole life....... Even MOBI wasn't a failure like this....

and WTF 500LL for 10mb :) ...

what if someone wants to download 50  GB of music gamez moviez......

tayib ok, lets say no warez... what if someone is studying Computer Science and wants to download java JDK, j2ee, IDE, mysql, oracle, apache,...... what if i want to search images on google, or watch videos on youtube

tayib no computer science, what if someone wants to play CSsource online or team fortress or half life....... do you know that valve release every week or two a 100~200 mb update plus new free games, what if i want to play other then half-life,CSs.... others games need updates too....

and worst of all what if someone wants to do all of the above...... what do i do  ?

Last edited by Hybrid (June 7 2007)

#11 June 7 2007

WizaRd

well you first decide on the country of your choice before buying the plane ticket

and in case you have any money left, think of throwing a ticket this way

Last edited by Flyingwizard (June 7 2007)

Board footer