LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 7 2007

mir

Unsecured Wirless

I noticed that in leb a very good / high percentage of wirless networks are unsecured
i quick scaned highway between batroun - junieh
dbayeh , zalka , furn chebak , dekwaneh
and small areas (a quick scan without documentations)
i am shocked by the nbre of unsecured networks
so i thought we might do a little team effort
if everybody scans his area and posts results i think we can have a better understandin of the situation and it is fun to do :)

#2 April 10 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Re: Unsecured Wirless

lame

#3 April 10 2007

samer
Admin

Teodor, I understand you may find war-driving lame, at least justify your opinion instead of pseudo-flaming a member's topic :).

Mir, I think it's interesting if we have a GPS system to map the whole thing.

#4 April 10 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Samer,

after scanning the unsecured wireless networks, what will follow is an abuse:

* Sniffing MSN / ICQ e-mail passwords
* Sniffing chats and e-mail traffic

The users sitting besides these unsecured wireless networks usually have no blame.

Wanna scan for some elder people who use to keep their windows open at night, so we can make a group, enter and perform a robbery ?

#5 April 10 2007

mir

The info i wanted is general
for example
area1 - secured : 100 , unsecured : 70
by user 1
then total nbres are made
after 6 month , we do the same
and watch the difference
and since we live in random location it will b like small sample

as for me, i have better things to do than readin other ppl chat
bas sir mtl nasawin l 7ay , ma 3indi shaglé wala 3amlé (not likely to happen soon) i will start readin the daily convs of shi 500 ppl in my area

#6 April 10 2007

samer
Admin

after scanning the unsecured wireless networks, what will follow is an abuse:

* Sniffing MSN / ICQ e-mail passwords
* Sniffing chats and e-mail traffic

The users sitting besides these unsecured wireless networks usually have no blame.

Wanna scan for some elder people who use to keep their windows open at night, so we can make a group, enter and perform a robbery ?

Teodor,

You have jumped to conclusions without knowing our motives. All we said is that it would be interesting to map them, we have mentioned nothing about sniffing packets over 'em. It's like providing the tools and letting the user choose what hat he's wearing. :)

#7 April 12 2007

Padre

let's get to mapping them !
i did propose stmh like that ages ago, since we already started on it and did quite some findings couple of years ago.
anyway, our motives were not "clean" and the ammount of info "leaked" was quite huge. (NO NO NO, NOT EMAIL PASSWORDS )
would participate in the rebilding of the maps :)

#8 April 12 2007

mir

let's get to mapping them !
i did propose stmh like that ages ago, since we already started on it and did quite some findings couple of years ago.
anyway, our motives were not "clean" and the ammount of info "leaked" was quite huge. (NO NO NO, NOT EMAIL PASSWORDS )
would participate in the rebilding of the maps

isn't he amazing ?   

well .. great to know someone is intrested
any one else ?

i don't wanna take a lots of ur time .. i know ur busy  a lot .. i am intrested in knowing the system you were using .. maybe we can use the same system maybe with new changes !

#9 April 12 2007

battikh

if you will be still working on it in summer, i will help, probably hamra/verdun/bliss/raoucheh enno this area of beirut. could bring a gps with me if needed, otherwise, google earth could help, would be interesting to map them on google earth
pffff, i want to get back to lebanon :( you know what? i hate you all!!!! you do all the fun stuff when i'm not here. selfish people...

Last edited by battikh (April 12 2007)

#10 April 12 2007

mir

hahah battikh.. haram you
w ba3d ma ballashit l sayfiyeh.. bukra jeyeh l baher .. wl jabal .. wl tikhyim.. wil sahrat .. wil naytet .. wl ta2sh wl fa2sh wl kazdarah ..

lah lah lah .. u will be missing all that ... i wonder for how much
(by the way did u leave ur company in berytech or u working at their client site there ? )

y do all the lebs hate lebanon.. and when they leave they feel so home sick ...
yalla be back .. li2ano libnen 3am yif2od admiga ( hijrit l admiga phenomenon)

#11 April 12 2007

samer
Admin

As i said, it would be great. But, unfortunately, there is no GPS system available here. And maintaining the maps would be quite unflexible google earth.

#12 April 12 2007

battikh

mir wrote:

hahah battikh.. haram you
w ba3d ma ballashit l sayfiyeh.. bukra jeyeh l baher .. wl jabal .. wl tikhyim.. wil sahrat .. wil naytet .. wl ta2sh wl fa2sh wl kazdarah ..

lah lah lah .. u will be missing all that ... i wonder for how much
(by the way did u leave ur company in berytech or u working at their client site there ? )

y do all the lebs hate lebanon.. and when they leave they feel so home sick ...
yalla be back .. li2ano libnen 3am yif2od admiga ( hijrit l admiga phenomenon)

tfou 3laykon :( mechante
yeah, left berytech, working at GBM now (gulf buisness machine, it's a sister company of IBM) in the networking department. i signed for 3 years, so....3 years and i'll be back  but i HOPE i'll be able to come in summer, coz bi ma2eno i'm still new, i dont know if i can take 1 month of vacations men awwal 3 monthes cheghel  i think i have to work at least 6 or 7 monthes before taking vacations. and i never hated lebanon, it's just that the experience and money you get here, you would never get it in lebanon. so as a begining, it's a good start for your career. enno what is teh biggest network you can work on in lebanon? 2 routers and 5 switches? in dubai, azghar machrou3 we work on is worth 1 million dollar, some reach the 10 and 15 millions. so the hands on you get here is really intersesting, you see everything, touch everything and learn a lot.
anyways, enough off topics

samer, there are not even low end maps? anyways with the gps device, you can draw your own roads, you drive in your car, and it traces your track and then you can save it. and then we can upload the maps.

#13 April 18 2007

teodorgeorgiev

"2 routers and 5 switches"

Oh, really? :)

Man, about the 15 million worth networks - we have seen these. They are easy to build and maintain. Especially, when you have also million dollar support contract with the vendor :)

It is easy to be a good driver with BMW-7, automatic gear and etc and etc.
Let see how good one can drive with an old Opel Cadet ;)

Bear in mind that at  the end all these million costs have to be paid by the end-users!!! :)

#14 April 18 2007

mir

They are easy to build and maintain

isn't that your goal when building systems
to have something easy to maintain at the end of the day

when ppl pay big amount of money .. they expect a good and professional work to be done
no probability for mistake is left
and it doesn't mean the ppl that are doing those systems are not pros

and by the way battikh.. the moment u step foot in lebanon.. i am gonna shoot you in that same foot and send u back to dubai
man.. happy for you cuz u got to work with a big company and learn and touch the "big and real stuff"
sorry for makin u feel homesick ... don't feel homesick.. it is still the same old country... same old stuff

by the way.. i was thinking to investigate work opportunities in berytech
what is ur feedback about the companies in there ?

#15 April 18 2007

battikh

thx mir, but i was homesick even before leaving lebanon

and teodor, what i meant is that in dubai i am able to see everything, from the little 12 ports switch and to the huge modular switch that need 5 people just to get it out of the box.

anyways, mir, for berytech, if you want stuff in development, there are like 3 or 4 development companies there. u can check paravision (they are the biggest there), e-biz production (it's more website developments) or elementn. and if you prefere the berytech that is at mat7af, you should check DCSoft and SWORD. if you need any emails, contacts, phone numbers, just ask me ;)

anyways, check this for companies at BTH (berytech mat7af): http://berytech.org/content/category/18/49/268/
and this for berytech mansourieh (esib campus): http://berytech.org/content/category/9/26/31/

Last edited by battikh (April 18 2007)

#16 April 19 2007

nuclearcat

battikh - believe me, best thing not to see most expensive and big equipment, best thing to know, how to make state-of-art from regular D-Link. For example i can create from $40 16port dumb D-Link switch, with few tools and parts for $10 max - remotely manageable switch, and analogs will cost about $200-$300. And it will work well.

My dream to create new generation wireless, based on some FPGA chip, which will communicate with RF part directly. It will not be low-cost solution like Atheros miniPCI card, but it will be much cheaper,faster,reliable than existing access points, used for wireless ISP's purproses. But... this is too big project, and just dream.

For now i will search for cheap RISC based device (cable routers $40), and maybe in future will make it to manage my microwave oven  so it will cook more complicated things, without using expensive oven model, and can heat food while i am coming to home, detecting me by bluetooth(other side in mobile) or just mobile will send cell ID's over GPRS while i am moving to Home NOC :-D
In lebanon only one problem with this - lack of development tools.

#17 April 20 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Denis, Battikh is in a process of passing through the euphoria of the big data centers, hugely/scary looking "irons" (no offense or mean).
When I started to work with Cisco, I was in the same state. Each of us will pass through it sooner or later.

When he finds out that the expensive Allot NetEnforcer bandwidth management system is indeed an Intel PC with a FreeBSD inside + a web interface in PHP, when he finds out that the sophisticated NOS of the Extreme switches is indeed a RISC Linux with "busybox", or when he also finds that the pretty expensive Cisco Content Engine is a poor Intel PC (440BX/ZX board) with Linux + a Squid, he will understand that the expensive "worth of millions USD" network products are just --> OVERPRICED cheap GPLed products.

Yet another 10 of examples:

Nagios can easily replace the sophisticated and expensive HP OpenView / BMC Patrol.
MRTG (or RRDTool based software) can easily replace the "next generation, ultra-mega-hyper advanced bandwidth monitoring systems".
The advanced Sysmaster/VoiceMaster softswitch is indeed --> stolen GnuGK H.323 gatekeeper, Asterisk IP PBX, stolen SyBase + some Java.
The Vierling / Ecotel GSM gateways are indeed just Siemens C35 GSM boards + the SER SIP proxy.
The Cisco VPN concentrator is also a Linux with the IPSEC / PPTP and etc tools + a Java web interface.

The russian Redhat call center is not based on the ultra-expensive Cisco IPCC + CCM + Microsoft CRM or the Siemens HiPath ProCenter, but on a GPLed Asterisk (with some additional coding to make it sustain the high burden) + customised OTRS.

And noone is to blame - jews need to eat as well. They are not aliens. Until the stupid bedwins have oil, jews will enjoy one high living standart ;)

In all Europe, even the government institutions, incumbent and mobile telecoms have stopped to purchase such "glanced GPLs" and work almost completely on GPLed products, improved by their RD teams.

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (April 20 2007)

#18 April 21 2007

mir

lool nuc  .. so nice and geeky

teo - sad how things are in our business

battikh -
hope everything is great in dubai and  thank you so much for  ur help
i am preparing a good version of my CV ... and going thru all the companies
i will send you pm by monday

#19 April 21 2007

battikh

teo, i never said teh expensive stuff were the best, i'm just saying i have the chance to see them and play with them. the free/low cost ones, i already played with them in lebanon. i already played with nagios, mrtg, asterix, ... what was missing to have an objective overview of networking products was the expensive stuff that i can't just see anywhere in lebanon. and in dubai, not all data center are huge and expensive, i worked in one that had only 1 cabinet and in which i could hardly fit in (and i'm only 60kg). if u asked me to use a linux distro and turn it into a free firewall, i would enjoy it more than configuring a pix firewall, but if i want to be professional someday, i cannot allow myself to say that i refused to play with the expensive boxes just because i'm pro open source. if i want to be professional, i have to play with as much products as possible, and that's what i'm trying to do in the first steps of my career. it's not that i'm excited about playing with expensive cisco products, it's just that i want to play with everything, no exceptions.
all i want is to have an overview of all networking products, free or expensive, performant or crappy.

mir,
walaw, weijbeitna  enteh bass 2moreh
workwise, everything is fine, life wise, it sucks, i miss lebanon :(
i'll be waiting for ur pm, yalla good luck. bass since ur searching for a new job, are you sure you don't want to switch fared marra to the networking side?

#20 November 30 2007

MaherMakki

We have already completed a GPS system For Lebanon and the Middle East, and I think this is a good Idea, if we can collect the data, and incorporate it within the map, then people can fined networks to login ( like hotspots in Europe) the people that cant get ADSL, will be able to go online. Please contact me if you need any more info regarding Lebanon GPS maps mena@tmsmena.com

Samer wrote:

Teodor, I understand you may find war-driving lame, at least justify your opinion instead of pseudo-flaming a member's topic :).

Mir, I think it's interesting if we have a GPS system to map the whole thing.

#21 November 30 2007

mir

We have already completed a GPS system For Lebanon and the Middle East, and I think this is a good Idea, if we can collect the data, and incorporate it within the map, then people can fined networks to login ( like hotspots in Europe) the people that cant get ADSL, will be able to go online. Please contact me if you need any more info regarding Lebanon GPS maps mena@tmsmena.com

i am willing to help..
Oh.. is your company willing to help provide equipments and do some management for the maps
I find it quite a good idea that we should get going

Last edited by mir (December 1 2007)

#22 November 30 2007

WizaRd

if your device/machine can detect the next explosion's location i'm totally in

#23 December 1 2007

battikh

your maps are compatible with which gps software? and how detailed are they? how many POIs? and how much does they cost?

#24 February 4 2008

rebel0

Flyingwizard wrote:

if your device/machine can detect the next explosion's location i'm totally in

looooooooooooooooooool, u dont need a GPS for this one, u only need a call with rostom ghazali and u'l know where is the next explosion.

Board footer