LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 11 2007

nuclearcat

M$ - assholes, Linux - rocks

Hi all

I did upgrade for my PC.
Core Duo 2 E6600 / 965 chipset Intel / 2G ram/ 2 200GB SATA drives/GeForce 7600 GS

Ok... thats fine. Main reason was Core Duo, cause i need to test Xen, but also i have plans to try Vista. And i did it. Well, i am not impressed at all.
For my view not too much things changed, maybe it is a lot changes in activation/licensing/DRM, but security still weak (most of adware very well compatible with Vista). Yes, graphical interface is very nice, flashing, jumping, rotating, smoothing, transparency. But sorry, i need to work on it, not to watch animations. My eyes just got tired. Last 2 years when i install XP for some work, i am always disabling all this amusements available...

About bugs. Directly i hit few of them. First - i set IP address in my network card... not working. I had to run diagnostic few times, it was telling total bullshit... then on 4th time it start checking something and went in coma, i spent 5 minutes to have fun with viewing control panel... then wow! internet working. But after that... 1 million annoying messages. And i have choice - remove/disable their "security" and be blind, or to watch stupid messages. Also few times internet explorer crashed. One of them on adobe website, i was installing adobe reader... seems i click too fast. I remember times, when XP boots and i start clicking icons before it finish "chewing" my harddrive, i was getting a lot crashes. Sweet for M$ user: stupid, rich, slow moron, who like amusements and drag&drop... i call them "mouse driver".

Well... and i am not going to pay for this total buggy crap $199+. And even not going to spend my time with cracks...

Now i run my sweety linux back... simple, fast environment for work, stable(at least almost any bug i can fix), some simple games (goin to find more powerful linux games soon, maybe 'll pay for cedega). Seems i will kick off M$ Win from office, where it is possible, cause i dont see any serious improvements in security and usability for WORK(!). Linux provide this days security, stability, flexibility,

P.S. SATA for XP - total disaster. I spent 1 day fighting with Marvell PATA + ICH8 SATA for XP... XP seems will die soon for me too.

Who else try Vista? Ur opinion?

#2 February 11 2007

karim soubra

Re: M$ - assholes, Linux - rocks

it is the lack of drivers and optimization that you are suffering from that's why i will be waiting a year or so before i install vista unless i have to for games and software but for the time being  i am sticking with xp well maybe media center

#3 February 11 2007

nuclearcat

Drivers? i am using most popular hardware, it is just stock. Optimization? Well... i just dont understand, why it's not done before release...
It is cannot be called even Beta-version, it is pure alfa. If it's not working on mine, decent and well known hardware (stock intel, stock mid-range nvidia), what about other people hardware zoo?
And they ask for this $hit money?

It is completely stupid, that let's say they made smth like antivirus, LiveCare or something called like that... they dont have f***g right, to force user pay for protection, if their system defective by design, and they are not going to fix it, they just sell workaround for this defects. I disagree with this tactics, and that in new system on each step you have to PAY, PAY, and again PAY. Especially if you are low-level developer.

#4 February 12 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

A typical reaction from a typical hardcore linux user.

Vista runs fine, been using it for like one week and everything works smoothly including PC games.

Drivers for various hardwares ( Sound, VGAs, ...) are being optimized for optimal performance. this is something natural for a new operating system.

You just need to have some insight info on how user account control ( UAC) system works ( standard/admin users) and I recommend you a good book for that --> Windows Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant .

GooD luck!

#5 February 12 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Dark_angel, thanks God that the majority of the ISPs are not running under your beloved Windows, or the Internet access chart will look like the electricity of Lebanon -> on/off, off, off, again off, yet once again off, finally - on.

#6 February 12 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

Well it really depends on --> what for you need your OS.

Security, responsivness, speed, reliability --> linux

Entertainment, .NET Development, Kick ass platform for PC gaming --> Vista

it is just apple vs orange.

Last edited by Dark_angel (February 12 2007)

#7 February 12 2007

nuclearcat

Ok, .Net developers can run Windows. I dont have any. And our doors is closed for M$ developers. First of all it is too expensive just to be legal .Net developer (cost of Windows, MSDN, Office, Visual Studio), second - technology limited to M$.

Games, entertainment - in office there is no games and entertainment.

At home, for entertainment i prefer to buy ready-made STB, Windows Media Center too expensive and ugly. For example it will not run my DVB card, and will not run some "not in HCL" TV Tuners. If i need really flexible something - i will run MythTV in linux.
For gaming... i dont play too much, and all games i play, they works under Linux.

It is not apple vs orange. I think it is Freedom VS Slavery. Even if we close questions of licensing rules, what is killing me, that everything must depend Microsoft Support. You cannot do anything, if bug in drivers or code of OS. You are blind and powerless. And when you dig deep - you will face many such bugs. And usually, if you are small company or just person - M$ dont give a shit about their small bugs, reported by you. It can take up to half of year to fix small bug (reality, i face this once, and it was security bug).

Board footer