LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 6 2007

jayinferno

After Windows Server 2003 Update: Display Problems - URGENT

Hi Again

Yes yes i know.. i vanish for quite a long time then appear again.. blame my job and flights.
Anyways, guyz i really URGENTLY need some help on this one

I have several servers running Windows Server 2003 SP1. The problem occured on all of them (they are un-licensed) and also occured on my IBM xSeries 226 Licensed Windows Server 2003. The problem is as follows:

After Windows Update downloads all the updates and installs them, the display gets very messed up. Weird colors, fonts that are in-consistnent, invisible fonts and buttons, quite un-usable GUI anymore. We tried everything, re-installing the display drivers, updating the display drivers, etc.. no help. The only thing that worked was un-installing all the updates. I kept on uninstalling them one by one and restarting to check if display is back to normal. It only went back to normal when i un-installed ALL the updates. But this is definitely not a Licensing problem, as my IBM is licensed (purchased from CBM and stuff) and it had the same problem.

Any clue? Thanks

#2 February 6 2007

rolf

Re: After Windows Server 2003 Update: Display Problems - URGENT

switch to linux
Err sorry :)

(me prays that the same thing doesnt happen to my windows 2000 advanced server box)

;)

#3 February 6 2007

rolf

You need to find the common denominator between the 3 machines. do all 3 have nvidia chipsets?
Could it be a virus?

Last edited by rolf (February 6 2007)

#4 February 7 2007

mir

i did a quick google search
nothing relevant

could it be  corrupted update files
did u download or got them from somewhere ?

find a friend.. who installed  the update sucessfuly on some PC or Laptop
st3ir l files minno.. test on ur laptop first

also  a dumb suggestion :
if only the stuff related to display are not working
maybe u can install something like brico packs that will change the way ur computer looks by changing dll ,files  and stuff
like that the bad files responsible for the bad GUI get replaced with other ones and u will have a bunch of funny looking servers

Last edited by mir (February 7 2007)

#5 February 7 2007

rolf

mir wrote:

i did a quick google search
nothing relevant

could it be  corrupted update files
did u download or got them from somewhere ?

I did a google search too with no results

Yeah since you have the same connection... maybe the proxy cached an incomplete update file... try updating one of the computer using a different connection...

#6 February 8 2007

jayinferno

They are 5 machines. And 2 of them on a different connection than the others. They all have different chipsets. And one of them is an IBM xSeries.
Guyz, thanks you're trying to help out i really appreciate that. I asked around no one else have encountered this weird thing hehe. Yeah i thought i was dumb cuz i couldn't find anything on google too heheh. Well i am gonna keep on tryin different tricks to see. I will keep you posted
Mir: this is not a dumb suggestion by the way hehehe. I might consider it soon

#7 February 8 2007

mir

I am sure that there are other more decent solutions
and Oh ! make sure not to install  kids theme or Pink theme...  or something like that

Sorry can't be of any more help.. u know, i am not the Windows Server Guru

Board footer