LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 January 14 2007

Halo

Re: Unlimited is not unlimited after all!

Thanks a lot man for all the help :)

#77 January 14 2007

battikh

Halo, here are some links to make your antenna:
parabolic antenna: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/
pringles yagi antenna: http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
can yagi antenna: http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Last edited by battikh (January 14 2007)

#78 January 14 2007

rolf

compuworld sells different sorts of antennas.

#79 January 15 2007

Halo

Called Wise today, they're out of boxes, they're getting some in a couple of days, and once they do they'll come and give me a box

Thanks for the links battikh, first one's good for me ;)

I'm going to get 512 down 64 up, 70 dollar one :)

#80 January 15 2007

samer
Admin

what's the limitation, Halo ? (bandwidth, sessions, ...)

#81 January 15 2007

Padre

no session, u get Real IP.
BUT you have to ask them if they can connect you to their land lines before commiting.
else ur gonna be on the Satellite that has a much higher latency.

#82 January 16 2007

Halo

2.5 gig limitation on bandwith, 2.1 download and .4 upload ;)

If you do pass, you can pay for more bandwith or continue but at a very low speed ;)

Thanks for the advide Padre, the main reason I'm getting is because of latency, would they connect to the land lines for free?

They wouldn't tell me no, we can't connect to the land lines, right?

#83 January 16 2007

WizaRd

Let us know Halo, I will bug them for coverage in my area if it works for you :)

#84 January 18 2007

Halo

They still haven't called yet <_<

I'm still waiting though :)

Anyway, sorry Padre but I got another question, about the modem, does it have like an antenna? Because all the parabolic reflectors I've seen so far need an antenna, you don't need to, but if you want, can I see a picture of how your modem looks like? Not too good quality, because I don't want you to use too much of your bandwith

#85 February 6 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

My connection is shaped again by VISP.

The reason is because I have tried to download the internet but the download was so huge that their shaping system got mad and started unleashing his abusive words.

#86 February 6 2007

rolf

Dark_angel wrote:

My connection is shaped again by VISP.

The reason is because I have tried to download the internet but the download was so huge that their shaping system got mad and started unleashing his abusive words.

That doesnt make any sense to me...

#87 February 7 2007

WizaRd

i think he got speed limit again ?

#88 February 7 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

Yeah, my connection is shaped again.

#89 February 7 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

I am participating in a competition online and I need to upload my times ( Rally game) and what a better time to have this issue again

I am pissed off again!

Last edited by Dark_angel (February 7 2007)

#90 February 7 2007

nuclearcat

Dark_angel - i have already increased limits to values bigger than IDM/... in 2-3 times. Everybody get, what they got paid for.
Dont expect from home connection in lebanon ability to transfer amounts of data suitable for corporate connection.

I will try to change system, so limits of speed and traffic will be much more soft and people can do "heavy" activity. More info i will give when i will finish it.

#91 February 7 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
hi man, thx for your support!

I have just now contacted VISP support team and talked to someone. He mentioned that I am limited to 6 GB per month and my current shaping will end on February 12.

What I want from you is just to specify the bandwith limit for the different accounts,that's all and we can all avoid this mess.

Thx for the help again.

#92 February 7 2007

Padre

6GB per month and ur complaining ??
i got 2.5 !!!

#93 February 7 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
Actually 6 GB is just a Joke, I need at least 10 GB to feed my Hard Disk.

You have got a good latency, we have the worst among ISPs so we should have better bandwith than others.

#94 February 7 2007

nuclearcat

Dark_angel - the limit for "unlimited" accounts is changeable, it depends on fair usage policy system (and fair usage system soon will assign limits only if there is bandwidth bottleneck). For now it's 6GB, but soon it will be different. Good news - you will not have permanent limit till end of the billing period.

If you want to know for sure limit - there is quota accounts.
If you need 10 Gb on unlimited - just pay for more expensive account, and you will have them.

As i understand now, and before i didn't believe in miracles so i was expecting this, high speed broadband doesn't mean you can pump all this speed. But i wish backbone will become cheaper and speeds can be higher in lebanon, and for sure i will close eyes to some people who is pumping connection hard for their personal usage. But broadband = sharing, and this means ISP will always take a look to some users who trying to use their connection more than expected "sharing" ratio.

#95 February 7 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
Thanks for the clarification nuclearcat. I know it is very difficult to maintain an unlimited policy because it will be badly used. and thanks for clearing my account again!

about accounts, how can I know them? My ISP doesn't really have such things ( joseph Assi Hazmeih).

#96 February 7 2007

Padre

yeah .... Lebanese politics visavis Internet ...suck BIG time.
good latency  ?? well at least it used to be. lately (couple of weeks ago) latency increased by aroudn 150ms for some weird reasons ... i dunno used to take me 40ms to talk to my gateway now it's 200 :S (censord)
im still waiting for the day to go and castrate the Tech support there, cause they aren't much of a help

and about feeding my HDD ? well if u know much GB per month i actually use...  but that's another story and not using my home connection ...sight

Last edited by Padre (February 7 2007)

#97 February 7 2007

nuclearcat

Dark_angel - i will discuss with management this issue. I think all resellers MUST have such kind of accounts.

Padre - Politics... most of them old people, who dont know what is internet, and why people need it. What is internet... when i see how poorly way international calls done in lebanon, i was shocked!

On tech support noone putting admins, because 95% of calls companies getting, require very little knowledge in networking from support person. Most of them - "why internet slow?", and support have to ask stupid questions... imagine, most of time it looks like this:
C - Why internet slow?
S - What is your username?
C- xxx
S - You account is 128/32, how much download speed now? (it is BEFORE, now i did system for support, he can see customer bw usage realtime)
C - 0.1 Kb/s
S - From where you download?
C - mp3.for.free.nigerian-backbone.com
S - Can you download please file from www.kernel.org?
C - Mmm... yes, now 1 Kb/s.
S - What else is running on your computer?
C - Nothing...
S - $#$%$ (running tcpdump, and seeing 1 million udp packets). Do you have antivirus installed?
C - Yes
Support calling me. I can recognize usual Kazaa/Gnutella pattern packets.
S - Do you run any P2P program? Called like Kazaa or Gnutella or ... ?
C - Yes
S - #&*$^#&*$^#*$&^ !!!! Can you stop it please?
C - One second... wow internet is fast now!

#*(&$^*#$&^ !!! Thats why on support usually "beginners" of IT science and their knowledge can be lower. Also when i was working as support, i was able to resist only 1 year. After that, i told "enough".

I guess u have to show, that u know networking and u can give really useful suggestions to admin. But! If you are not running some "cable", and "faulty" point is poorly designed network, huge bridged Ethernet with wireless hops from you, ISP cannot help you in this case. U will have to pressure reseller to upgrade some wireless, maybe it will help a bit...

#98 February 7 2007

teodorgeorgiev

Padre: people like Joseph are always complaining. They always think that someone is obliged to bring all starts from the sky into their hands, just because "it is him".
It is a sickness. Before he was insisting on better bandwidth, he has it 3 times more as you see. Now he wants yet more bandwidth and yet lower latency.
And he has a better support, but he does not care. He thinks he deserves it, just cause he is special/eleet/VIP.

I doubt that VISP has the worst latency. And he knows it as well.
But he is just saying it to make himself feeling more a victim in the eyes of the readers.

It is really a kind of a perverted sickness. Too bad a regular health insurance won't "cover"  it.

You should not be angry or astonished on such people. Just feel sorry for them.

That is why when Joseph asked me recently: "Are you angry on me?", I said: "No".

He is not doing it on purpose.

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (February 7 2007)

#99 February 7 2007

Dark_angel
Banned

WoW, what a killer response!

Teodor my friend, the only thing I am complaining about is VISP's invisible/vague unlimited policy.

I got a clear answer today from one of your support team that I am limited to 6 GB/month and I was happy about it because the last time I asked them they were like it is unlimited but limited, a vague response.

The reason why I asked you the last time if you are still mad is because of your extreme vocabulary/terms you use like "sickness", "perverted sickness", " Too bad a regular health insurance won't "cover"  it".  I really recommend you a session of anger management, trust me you will be fine then.

Now, if you guys are blind. we are in 2007 where media has become so huge that such limited bandwidth won't do justice. I am no VIP or an elite person, I am what I am.

Before classifying people, begin with yourself. reread your posts and try to catch the mistakes you did and correct them, trust me better for you, cause you are not showing no professionalism just uncontrolled behavior that would hurt you a lot.

I said it before and I will say it again my friend, be cool, be calm, try to build your statements on facts not assumptions, respect others to be respected and try to control yourself for a better output!

Last edited by Dark_angel (February 7 2007)

#100 February 7 2007

nuclearcat

Dear Dark_angel. You have to read latest news. Limitation of montly transfers is latest news and technologies used to save internet. Other option - ISP will charge sites like google and youtube, to compensate expenses for infrastructure upgrade.
Broadband BUILT in mind, that you cannot use your connection 100%.

I spoke with really huge carrier ISP's, 59,100,000 only wireless customers, and they have similar "fair usage" system. For sure they are in USA, limits and speeds different, but they exist.

And there is no clear explanation at all, how much is "heavy user", when account limited, and how much it will be limited. It is core meaning of broadband. Because let's say they have safety limit for account 100GB/month. IF all users will knows that, psychologically they will download 80-90GB, and business profit level require average profile not more than 10GB. The same meaning your 6GB, it is not what you buy, it is just maximum level of abuse allowed. On your account price,with lebanese backbone prices, if you just get raw bandwidth with Ogero prices (100% usage day and night) - ~11 Gb. You must know, that ministry+VAT take more than 50% profit of ISP, means ~5.5 Gb is just non-profit level.
Just explain me, why we must keep accounts, who is giving us zero profit? On such cases IDM just stop account, and they dont give a shit about everything else.

And by the way quota account with same price will be around 1Gb, but higher than unlimited speeds... or maybe 100Mb/day limit also as option. This is real cost of traffic.

Board footer