LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 22 2006

rolf

xgl/compiz

has anyone been able to enable it on linux?
I am trying on xubuntu... it only partially works, issues are:
- windows have no title bar! they cannot be resized or moved! help!
- display is 800x600 (or is it 640x480 ??) and only filling part of the screen. I believe it's a setting issue.

#2 December 22 2006

rolf

Re: xgl/compiz

ok i fixed those problems
problem one:
install and execute gnome-window-decoration

problem 2:
find the Xgl command
example: "Xgl :1 -ac -accel xv:fbo "      etc...
and add "-fullscreen"
example: "Xgl :1 -fullscreen -ac -accel xv:fbo  "     etc...

#3 December 22 2006

rolf

well, i still didnt manage to set it up completely, and the Thunar file manager is unusable.
But It works good enough to show off to friends and family
weird... maybe i'll continue after christmas or wait to get my hands on Ubuntu (not Xubuntu) and try again...

Merry christmas everyone!

Last edited by rolf (December 22 2006)

#4 December 22 2006

samer
Admin

what GPU have you got ?
Also, I am afraid to break X, that's why I never tried it.

#5 December 22 2006

rolf

yay, it works!
(gpu is nvidia 5700 or something like that... nothing great... yet it works perfect)

still got some very annoying issues:
- For some reason, I have 4 workspaces, but the windows manager sees them as 1, In other words the pager shows 1/2 a workspace - not even a complete one - and the task list shows only 1 workspace with all windows in it, yet i can switch workspaces using ctrl-alt-mouse and have different windows in each. Could it be something a configurations issue.
- Thunar file manager doesnt work properly... see post below.

Besides that it looks nice. I am now looking forward to customizing the effects, so they become more subtle and quick. but I dont know how to do that.

#6 December 22 2006

rolf

ok, so thunar misbehaves only when I launch it by double-clicking on a desktop folder. What happens is it opens, but when I click on a folder inside Thunar, the window closes.

#7 December 22 2006

mir

umm..sorry i can't help u with the above :S

Merry christmas everyone!

thanks...Well.. merry christmas to you too
it was nice runing into u at CompuWorld
wish i was not in such a mess and hurry
donno y everything just happens at the same time lool

#8 December 22 2006

rolf

mir wrote:

it was nice runing into u at CompuWorld

Likewise

It's weird everytime I go to compuworld I run into someone I know... last time with an old friend, before that with a father of a friend...

maybe I do too much di3aye for this place :lol:

#9 December 23 2006

rolf

It seems most of the issues are caused by xfce4-session not being launched at x startup.
xcfe4-session CANNOT currently be launched, it is not compatible with compiz... AFAIK (hope I'm wrong)

I found out how to fine tune effects, btw, you have to use the gconf-editor GUI.

Last edited by rolf (December 23 2006)

#10 December 23 2006

karim

well xubuntu is supposed to be light, so by running compiz, you're ruining it's purpose..
anyways, i have ubuntu edgy 6.10... i live in achrafieh, and i'd be more than glad to offer you (Christmas spirit, lol) a copy if you're willing to pick it up.

i have beryl, but i use it just to show off the wonders of linux when ppl start bragging about their new Vista RC8 beta 6 service pack 1000 build 5000000 genuine activated crack "final version" they just installed on their computer... lol

#11 December 24 2006

rolf

Well... I may pass by one day and take a copy... :)
Maybe next week?
Do you say beryl works flawlessly with ubuntu?
And why are you not using it then?

Last edited by rolf (December 24 2006)

#12 December 24 2006

samer
Admin

Karim, is it worth upgrading to Edgy ? (from 6.06 LTS) - i heard a lot of users are encountering errors and problems..

#13 December 24 2006

rolf

I finally got it to work perfect... but there still is a hinch,,. I cant have it to log in directly into compiz mode, I will boot with xfce as windows manager, then I have a little script called "Enable Compiz Visual Effects" and another one called "Disable Compiz Visual Effects".
I could put one in the autostart list... but I'm keeping manual control for now.
Good enough for me :)

#14 December 24 2006

rolf

... and I finally discovered that it seems to be uncompatible with any sort of 3D games... so I finally wont be using it, exept to show off, like karim ;)

I should have known it... with a version number of 0.0, something

Samer wrote:

Karim, is it worth upgrading to Edgy ? (from 6.06 LTS) - i heard a lot of users are encountering errors and problems..

Linux is all about errors and problems

Last edited by rolf (December 24 2006)

#15 December 24 2006

nuclearcat

For games i heart cedega is good.

#16 December 24 2006

rolf

No way... I just realised that I can play warcraft III under linux... using wine!!
(well, the sound doesnt work :) )

I took a look at cedera, it's a commercial version of WineX it seems...

#17 December 24 2006

samer
Admin

Cedega is actually the new name of WineX

#18 December 26 2006

karim

6.06 to 6.10 is not worth it. Hardware support & detection is worse (unless for some particular case). I upgraded to 6.10 because i got a bigger hard drive, and had to reinstall anyways, wouldn't have done it other wise.

i would say it runs flawlessly, but since i'm on a laptop with a low end gpu (ATI mobility m300) i prefer to keep my resources for other tasks, plus i'm not really the eye candy lover.. (with the exception of women and on a much lower level, cars of course.. ;) )

I try  to visit the forums on a daily basis, but i can't always do it, so email me at: karim [at] lebanonracing [dot] com whenever you want the cd, we'll fix something...

#19 February 6 2007

battikh

i finally installed beryl after a lot of problems due to my graphic card driver (nvidia geforce go 6600). it did'nt want to work neither on 6.06 neither on 6.10, i upgraded to 7.04 and the drivers were already installed so arya7 bi ktir  bil awwal had the problem of teh title bar (would'nt appear), i just had to change the default depth from 16 to 24 in xorg.conf.
anyways, it's pretty cool and fun to play with, i pass my day flipping my screen  bass eno i guess i'll keep it for about 1 week then get bored of it and remove it

#20 February 7 2007

samer
Admin

i'm thinking of installing xgl/beryl anytime soon (once my migration to ubuntu is complete)

#21 February 7 2007

battikh

if you have a nvidia go6600, nasi7a, migrate fared marra to 7.04
in 1 day i installed 6.06 then 6.10 then 7.04. halla2 sara7atan, bayneitna, bass ma t2oul la 7ada, i'm very ashamed and disapointed in myself that i couldnt manage to make my stupid graphic card work on 6.06 and 6.10. 3ayb 3layyeh ya3neh. and tousal ma3eh enno i surrender w bsajjel 7.04 coz teh nvidia drivers are pre-insatlled, ya3neh tfu 3layyeh, i don't deserve anymore to be a geek.

anyways, till now beryl is pretty cool, and the cube thing is pretty usefull too, u just drag windows to an other side and flip teh cube when u need them, ktir salbeh (aslab men different desktops, too boring )

#22 February 7 2007

samer
Admin

i'm on GeForce 6200 TurboCache :$ .. i don't really care about the GPU :)
and I have the nvidia driver for my card.

#23 February 25 2007

Mitzidupree

Hello everyone, thank to a fellow member (battikh) i got to know beryl (heard not about it), also haven't been much into linux lately, lost interest since the first release of Ubuntu, and recently i got the Fedora core 6 dvd (but there was a bug and the installation has been canceled). However this is not the case, anyone can help me get the Beryl please? Of course, let it be not downloadable, lebanese connection you know! So any shop? place? someone?...

Thank you in advance...and by the way, am i in the right place requesting that? :rolleyes:

#24 February 26 2007

rolf

Mitzidupree wrote:

Hello everyone, thank to a fellow member (battikh) i got to know beryl (heard not about it), also haven't been much into linux lately, lost interest since the first release of Ubuntu, and recently i got the Fedora core 6 dvd (but there was a bug and the installation has been canceled). However this is not the case, anyone can help me get the Beryl please? Of course, let it be not downloadable, lebanese connection you know! So any shop? place? someone?...

Thank you in advance...and by the way, am i in the right place requesting that? :rolleyes:

Beril standalone should be easily downloadable. What exactly do you want... do you want ubuntu 6 ?

#25 February 26 2007

samer
Admin

I upgraded to 6.10 and got beryl in 15 minutes..
I used a .sh to automate the process...

here's the link: http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Inst … ith_nVidia

Board footer