LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 16 2006

zis

Thunderstorms

Saturday night, when there where all the thunderstorm, the whole cable network got hit over here... it's been a couple of days the cable guy is jumping from blvd to blvd to change burn routers... the ugly part is that my wireless router was hit as well as my pc Ethernet port :s

The cable guy told me it happens each year n nothing can be done.. hmm.. anyone got an idea besides a 3000$ paratonnerre?

Last edited by zis (October 16 2006)

#2 October 16 2006

battikh

Re: Thunderstorms

got the same problem. My wireless router's wan port is now dead and i replaced teh company's switch by one of mine ta keino charraffo...
for teh paratonere thing, i think there is like a wasleh you put on your cat5 cable, you plug the company's cat5 on one side, and from the other you put your cable and there is a wire that get out of the device, that's the ground. Enno if GDS would have invested in that, my access point would have been still alive. grrrrrr, it's is still less than 1 week old, i hate it.

#3 October 17 2006

mir

Amazingly.. everything in my area is up and running

Even the weather is so bad as i Type this,  the connection is Ok

Come to think about it.. haram the cable guys.. they loose lot of money from one Thunderstorm

#4 October 17 2006

rolf

Yeah thunder protection devices, pretty cheap - under $10 each i think.
You insert them in ethernet cabling at both ends of a long cable, and connect them to ground wiring of the building.
When the network is struck by lightning, these devices will route the electrical charge through the ground and keep it from going throught the LAN.
But of course nothing is done properly in this retarded country.

#5 October 17 2006

battikh

i hate it because it would cose nothing, paying for new switches cost them more. every year they change the switch 2 times and they make me pay for a new wireless router. if i was in a democratic country, i would have sued them by now...  grrrrrrrrrr

Board footer