LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 29 2006

King Killer

A little help here? VISP doesnt wanna reply to my emails, lol.

First of all, elhamdela 3al saleme to everyone.

Well, I have IDM, and im sick of it, its crap.

So I decided to switch to visp, problem is, I dont wanna pay another set up fee, so heres my question, can I simply switch to visp sorta like i switch from terra and idm?

Or do i have to pay another 200 bucks for a new setup?

Also, the visp website claim to give better latency on online gaming, are they talkin about their server? Or online gaming in general?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by King Killer (August 30 2006)

#2 August 29 2006

mahdoum

Re: A little help here? VISP doesnt wanna reply to my emails, lol.

I'm sure someone from VISP will be all over this topic

#3 August 30 2006

samer
Admin

I suggest PMing teodorgeorgiev or nuclearcat.

#4 August 30 2006

mir

hehe yes.. pm them.. ano this is not the VISP service area or something

and another suggestion :

And khara 3a israel

edit ur post and remove the above.. it is very childish.. ano. eh! ktir t2assaro halla2 iza ilit khara 3layon

#5 August 30 2006

nuclearcat

VISP is looking sometimes there
which mail u wrote and when? i will check if there is something wrong.

#6 August 30 2006

King Killer

Ok, the "childish" bit is gone

I email once last month, nothing, I decided to try again last week, still nothing.

#7 August 30 2006

rolf

You probably can switch for free if you stay on the GDS infrastructure, since no equipment change needs to be made.
If you want a different offer, special bandwidth conditions, etc... then you'll need different equipment to be installed at your place for a direct link to VISP, and they will probably charge that.

#8 August 30 2006

nuclearcat

rolf, by the way, if you are connected, i want to inform, today we have issue with downloads(it is VERY slow), i am working on it
i think i will sort it out today, max 3 days, i was on vacation, seems i have to terminate my vacation
if you have any suggestions, please tell me

#9 August 30 2006

teodorgeorgiev

King Killer,

sorry for not getting any reply. It is completely my fault.

I installed a new mail client and spending time training on it. I got a huge book "E-mail for dummies". I got so far how to check and read e-mails. The lesson on replying and sending e-mails is in chapter 7. I am now on 5. Be patient and wait two weeks.

About rolf it is also my fault.  As he told that he is in France I started to wonder: "Who is using his connection then? Noone... ... Lets get a good use of this bandwidth, otherwise the link will catch dust".

I found damn good use of this bandwidth

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (August 30 2006)

#10 August 31 2006

rolf

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

About rolf it is also my fault.  As he told that he is in France I started to wonder: "Who is using his connection then? Noone... ... Lets get a good use of this bandwidth, otherwise the link will catch dust".

I found damn good use of this bandwidth

Is there any way to spare unused bandwidth? ;)

Bandwidth usage is very reduced... the project we were building to work in cooperation with swedish clients fell to the water (guess why ;) ) So we dont need so much upload anymore, but we still send big PDF files within lebanon, by mail or FTP, so pleeease keep the upload fast :)

Me and my little brother are in france so that should cut down 99% of the download consumption.

Beware my brother will be back in around a week... be warned, you will experience dramatic slowdown on your network due to never ending download of TV series...

The guy in charge now is Omar, I havent heard of him yet, I dont even know if he's alive (I'm guessing he is) but I'm wondering if he quit the job...

Last edited by rolf (August 31 2006)

#11 September 4 2006

drevil

HI King Killer.

I can find you a solution so feel free to call me at any time.

Office: 01-247373

regards Hobb;
Majed

#12 September 5 2006

teodorgeorgiev

King Killer,

just like to note that no ISP in Lebanon (or even in the neighbouring countries) can give you so low latency that will allow you to play online FPS games like Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, Doom, Quake, FEAR... ...

You need a latency of less than 80-100ms in order to enjoy FPS gaming. The best you can get is 250-300ms (and it is not stable).

#13 September 5 2006

King Killer

I know, but I DO know that VISP has a server in Lebanon, and it doesnt matter where teh server is, as long as I get good pings ;).

Oh, and, BTW, when you said that no neighboring country could give low pings, that wasnt entirely correct, as weird as it may sound, syria has had DSL for 6 months now, and Ive been there 2 months ago (to see my father), and saw people playing counter-strike and battlefield 2 online, with pings like 60-100 :S.

All I wanted to know from my original post was, if I changed to VISP, and I stick to the GDS infastructer, will I be able to play on the game servers you guys have put up? I mean, whats the difference between the GDS infastructer, and the direct line to VISP, thats the only thing that confuses me.

#14 September 5 2006

teodorgeorgiev

1. VISP does not have a server, but a whole rack of servers for the gaming network :)

2. Maybe they play on a local syrian server, or in the very best case --> Cyprus. But even with a terrestrial land line (optical of course - be it STM, ATM or SMDS or whatever, not a copper one) you can not reach Europe, USA and Canada on less than 150-180-200ms. IN NO WAY.

I can defend my words with technical facts, but this means writing entire two pages. Here are 3 hints:

* electrical signal via copper media travels slower than light. DSL runs over a copper pair.
* fiber link travels with the speed of light. Calculate the speed of light by the distance between Syria and France (or Germany, or Italy) and measure the time needed for a packet to go and come back :)

* Every device on the way (be it a router, server, switch) adds latency (1-2ms). You have to add this latency to your calculations as well.

Here is a part of output from CS1 (the first CS server).  These with the low latency (less than 25ms) are DSL-ed Netcafe's.

#       name            userid  uniqueid                frag    time            ping   
1       "estezz_n       1204    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       30:46           55     
2       "pyro"          1083    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       2 :19:55        22     
3       "Marshal"       1197    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       37:25           0       
4       "Leb Forc       1233    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       13:36           25     
7       "rank_rad       1235    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       07:41           22     
8       "x-x asta       1228    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       16:51           14     
9       "TFORCE"        1214    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       26:49           74     
10      "[M.O.B]        1221    VALVE_ID_LAN            0       22:41           22     

As you see latencies are really low. Physically it is possible to play via GDS wireless. But I am not sure how much latency there will be. I have seen players from GDS, but no memories on how good their latency has been. In general it definitely has to be below 100ms in the very worst case.

#15 September 5 2006

nuclearcat

60-100 it is local server. Cyprus people have ping to "outside" 300ms, and u think Syria, which more far from backbones can have less? i can say only NO WAY. Greece have ping 70ms already, cause far from european backbones too.

GDS have very strict shaper, and sometimes their network have their own problems. You have to ask any GDS customer in your area, how it is working. If ok, u can continue using it.

#16 September 5 2006

battikh

before leaving lebanon i was GDS in hamra, i used to play CS with a ping between 90 and 120.

#17 September 6 2006

zis

Since you're talking about VISP, i was wondering if on their GDS wireless they impose a 10 session limitation like IDM * others do.... This limitation is really annoying.

#18 September 6 2006

nuclearcat

if it is from GDS side - we can't do anything
from VISP side we do not limit any sessions like 10... but there is safety limitation on proxies around 100 sessions per ip at some users, who was suspected as infected by worms

on my opinion session limitation as management decision to limit sales to end-users - completely useless

#19 September 6 2006

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

on my opinion session limitation as management decision to limit sales to end-users - completely useless

Not really...
It will make for an unreliable connection, one PC infected with spyware and the the whole connection goes down, so company IT admins will try to avoid it.
And you cannot have more then 3-4 PC simultaneously using it without some dropped conections happening, but anyway having 3-4 PCs on such a slow connection is torture, so no need to add session limitation.

On the other hand it does seriously annoy when you try to use bittorrent for example, which likes to open hundreds of connections, and it will probably cause some support calls from clients who are running out of connections due to p2p or spyware.

So my conclusion is it does help a little in limiting redistribution of the connection, but it is not sure that the benefits justify the disadvantages mentionned above.

But in any case the end user does not get the last word in lebanon when it comes to internet. He just has to cope with what is given to him and dream to the tune of the promises of the telecommunication ministry (which is not even capable of maintaining a half decent website)

I am not back to lebanon and am already starting to nag :)
I guess I'm preparing myself psychologically.

Last edited by rolf (September 6 2006)

#20 September 7 2006

nuclearcat

Well, i am not implementing session limit for bittorent, for me it is completely transparent, and will not affect any of my software. But proxy in current manner will have load depends on number of connections, so it is a must to have some limit, to avoid overload. I had also expirience when some dumb users tried to attack just by http flood some websites, and only sessions limit save a proxy

#21 September 7 2006

zis

So you basically have to choose between a ridiculous traffic limitation or a 10 session limitation. Will DSL be limited this way too?

Anyhow can someone explain how the session limitation actually works? I mean is it for any 10 active connection.. or 10 connections to 10 different servers... thx

#22 September 7 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Zis,

to be honest I am really getting annoyed by all that blame on the ISPs. Ridiculous....

Do you know, dear, what is ridiculous?

Let me explain it to you.

The international Internet link of Lebanon is controlled by  the government of Lebanon (MPT) and in particular - Ogero.
They put the prices and all Lebanese ISP buy from them. The leased line prices, license prices and etc are also decided by the government.

So, who is the blame for???  The government???          Well, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This government was chosen in elections. Were your own parents with their own hands put the voting piece paper (bulletin) in the urns.
The brothers and sisters of your father, of your mother. Your grandparents. Your neighbours. All they did this to you with their own
hands. They voted for "their people" which are causing this to you.

That is, dear, really ridiculous!

So, when you sit at the table this evening stand up and demand an explanation for what their own hands did. When you meet your other relatives  (who have the right to vote), stand in front of them and demand your explanation.

Yes, DSL will be limited as well. When the government sells 1MBps for (let say) $4000, the ISPs can not sell it to you for $500.

This will be the answer for all future comments on the Lebanese Internet situation.

#23 September 7 2006

zis

I wasn't criticising the ISPs for the limitations. I was just observing the situation. But there is one thing i blame ISPs for though.. but I'm not sure it's their fault. There is absolutely no competition between ISPs. All ISPs have the exact same service for the exact same price... Dunno if it's the government who sets the price to.. But today it seems new ISPs are appearing on the market, let's hope they'll move things around a bit.
Anyhow I wasn't criticising ISPs and I know the situation they're in for having worked with 2 of them for quite some time.. This situation is frustrating for both the users and the ISPs...

And 1 more thing, I'm the one who voted... well should have..

Now anyone care to explain how the session limitation works?

#24 September 12 2006

rolf

zis wrote:

Anyhow can someone explain how the session limitation actually works? I mean is it for any 10 active connection.. or 10 connections to 10 different servers... thx

AFAIK, simply 10 TCP sessions, no matter on how much different servers.
I wonder how they handle UDP traffic.

#25 September 14 2006

rolf

You have to add your credit card number at the end of the email and they will reply to it.

Board footer