LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 21 2006

battikh

Geeky Desert

And here i am, in the geekiest desert in the world. I arrived yesterday night to dubai.
I can't believe that 30 years ago it was a desert, 3anjad khweit. everything comes in extra large size, huge buildings, huge malls, huge roads, huge everything. yalla, i'll send some pics as soon as i take some

#2 July 21 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Re: Geeky Desert

As we have in Bulgaria a proverb: "With money even grand-daddy can do it" :)

It is easy to build all this stuff by having surplus reserves of oil.  Lets see what Dubai, Kuwait and Bahrein would do if they had no oil and gas?

I would respect 10 times more Lebanon for what is done there, because there is a lot done without having the endless oil-came resources of the above countries.

This is like playing Sim City, Ceasar 3, Age of Empires, Warcraft or whatever with money cheat. Do you think these are the best players?

#3 July 21 2006

battikh

i'm far from thinking that dubai made a great thing. i'm just pointing that it's really wierd. but saudi arabia also has lots of oil, and they did'nt achieve what dubai did. dubai invested in an intelligent way and they are not dependent of oil anymore. they built with oil but are no longer depended on it.

#4 July 21 2006

mahdoum

I wrote a long post and lost it, here I am typing it again:

Wanna make somethings clear, Dubai's real estate is one big money laundering business. Nearly all the people that invest in Dubai are trying to get rid of money and real estate is the best way. The oil isn't paying for much in the country, the infrastructure (eg roads) of Dubai are still the same before the rapid change, and this has resulted in a lot of traffic because the roads cannot handle the increase use of cars. I'm sure you see this battikh.

As for Saudi Arabia, again the oil is for the government, and the government improve the infrasturcutre and other services for the public, and not build profit making businesses. Since 9/11 most Saudi's have removed their money from the US and have decided to invest in their own country. In a time frame of 3 years I have seen Jeddah expand so quickly, you have about one mall a month being opened. It's unbelievable.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

#5 July 21 2006

rolf

Dude we have huge bombs here.
Enjoy dubai. Tell me, how are the people and err the girls...? I hear they're lots of tourists

#6 July 21 2006

battikh

teodor, till now i have'nt seen a single regular road, all are highways with a minimum of 3 lines. maybe your talking about what they call "the old dubai", where "everything started". i still have'nt went there, i'm in the "new dubai"

rolf, looots of people, i just came back from the mall (it was midnight when i got there) and it is as much crouded as ABC achrafieh during the day
lots of tourists, lots of none arabs, mainly indians and philipinos.
for the girls, well, not bad, but there are no girls like lebanese girls. man, why do you think that lebanon is a heaven, it's because it's crouded by angels... ;)

PS: i have'nt went out a lot, visited nothing till now, i'm so tired from my trip, from lebanon to syria then to dubai, took me from 8am till 2am, standing 6 hours with my bags in the syrian airport, my back still hurts...

#7 July 22 2006

teodorgeorgiev

I know what Dubai is pretty well. But hey, let me tell you something, give Lebanon the same money resources, it will be better than Dubai :)

Lets see what shall happen when oil is over ;)
The big air baloon will say "Psssshhhhhhhhhhh"  :)

#8 July 22 2006

mir

oh! thank you teodorgeorgiev for givin the lebanese and our country a credit

Board footer