LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 7 2006

Halo

Online Gaming In Lebanon Still Messed Up?

With all the new ISP's, which one do you think is the best for online gaming?

I have an X-Box ( might buy a 360 as well soon ) and I want to connect my X-Box to X-Box Live with a good internet service. Now, what do I mean by good internet service?

- Low Latency

There must be low latency, prefferably under 300ms to the USA. If anyone knows an ISP that has latenecy like that, post here.

- Reliable / Isn't always down

The connection must always be working, if it just pauses once, then I lag out of a game.

- Ping

Most of the packets must reach the other side of the world

Now, I know VISP has game servers, but I cannot connect my X-Box to those servers, so anyone that knows an ISP that meets some or all of my requirements, please post here. I don't care about upload speed or download speed, just the above requirements. I'm also talking about the broadband wireless connection.

And also, I don't know much about VISP, so please, people post information about that ISP here. Thank you

#2 July 7 2006

rolf

Re: Online Gaming In Lebanon Still Messed Up?

AFAIK, not terranet coz they have a satellite backbone. At least that was last year, dont know if they improved since but I doubt it.
I am still waiting for my VISP connection to get installed, so I can really help you, especially since it'll be a dedicated connection :) But I have the impression that they are technically quite good for now.

Let's hope they stay this way and dont overload their networks. :)

What's your budget?
And what do you mean by "ping"?

#3 July 7 2006

Halo

I'm looking for around 100 dollars a month, and by ping, I mean like how many of the packets of information sent will get to the other side. For example, when I speak to someone online over the mic, I'm wondering how much of my voice packets would reach the other side. If I lose a lot of them, the other person won't hear me. Like with Lebanon Online I've got 20/24, which is decent, not too great, sometimes I'm un-heard.

Hope you understood that, I'm not exactly the geekiest guy ever

I'm interested in getting VISP though... do I have to have 3 people in my building to get it?

#4 July 7 2006

nuclearcat

VISP have their own gaming server, but i cannot guarantee good results on voice speech and games outside... interactive games especially - new fiber connections sold by ogero have bad latency, and they go thru usa :( Minimum what i can get, 250ms, it is on one of very expensive.
We have also different routes and QoS, for different class of customers, sure we are changing them if there is feedback from customers.
One customer, who buy from us pure fiber capacity(small CIR 32K) just for gaming, seems still staying and paying for it, so seems it is acceptable, i didnt heard any complaints.
If you want especially games, maybe good idea to come to our office and try to play from office connection :)))
But, we have many customers playing WoW on outside servers, and seems such strategy games works well.

#5 July 8 2006

Padre

I dont know about VISP , but i have WISE.
it's a nice connection for the gaming tho. Playing wow, i usually have from 200 to 400 msec on normal times. usually packets lost over 5 hours monitoring is around 0.5 to 1% sometimes nill.
but i do have some lag spikes sometimes, maybe that's because i'm outise the available range and i'm using a home built parabolic reflector to make things work

Last edited by Padre (July 8 2006)

#6 July 8 2006

Halo

nuclearcat, I want to play with my X-Box, it's a gaming console, I connect it to my PC or router with an ethernet cable

Anyway, nuclearcat, do you use VISP?

250ms isn't bad though... for Lebanon.

#7 July 8 2006

Halo

Oh yeah, doesn't WISE have bandwith limitations? Can't have that...

#8 July 8 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Rolf and Halo,

if you want to play, just get some GDS account (VISP is interconnected with GDS) and give the games a try.
I saw some people playing on the servers via GDS and their latency was pretty acceptable.

No need to change your provider permanently.

Currently the CS game servers are full to the bottom (even at night 4-5-7-6 people play like mad, usually - 20 and more). I am very keen to see if WoW is going to be bring some attraction to the dedicated-CS players :)

I will speak with the management if we can organise later some LAN-party as Padre did, with a good connection to the gaming network.

#9 July 11 2006

Padre

teodorgeorgiev ... PM me, we are organising a bigger one and need some sponsoring (not cash wise:P), 'im sure we could work things out

#10 July 12 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

Please guys, anyone who still play CS as his main, best, most valuable game ever shouldn't be called gamer.

I am currently enjoying a racing game over the internet ( playable even at 600+ ms ping time).

www.liveforspeed.net

#11 July 12 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Racing with 3-wheel bycicles? :-D
600ms won't be a problem then
HAHAHAHAH :)

#12 July 18 2006

Halo

teodor, I'm currently using your free Dial-Up because VISP doesn't provide internet in out area ( yet )

But I'm having problems. It redials a lot, and it's latency is almost 800ms ( I need at the max 500ms )

It is also quite un-reliable.

If I bought a Dial-Up account ( with the cards ) would it be better, or just the same? Because I'm sure many people use your free Dial-Up account

#13 July 18 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Halo.

We do not sell dial-up so far, we are just providing it for free. And even if we start selling dial-up cards, there will be NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY.  The only difference (maybe) is that you would have dedicated support and some other extras. As you have seen, there is no limitation on the speed (raw 56Kbps V.90) or time spent or traffic accumulated.

About the disconnects - you should check your phone line (and preferably - the modem). If you are using some "software" built-in modem on a noisy line - that might happen. What is your current modem now?

Btw, you could pass me your phone number on private, I will check your disconnect issues.

#14 July 18 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Halo.

We do not sell dial-up so far, we are just providing it for free. And even if we start selling dial-up cards, there will be NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY.  The only difference (maybe) is that you would have dedicated support and some other extras. As you have seen, there is no limitation on the speed (raw 56Kbps V.90) or time spent or traffic accumulated.

About the disconnects - you should check your phone line (and preferably - the modem). If you are using some "software" built-in modem on a noisy line - that might happen. What is your current modem now?

Btw, you could pass me your phone number on private, I will check your disconnect issues.

#15 July 19 2006

Halo

I used to have problems with Dial-Up with IDM 56K because our phone is kind of crappy but when we disconnect the phone we get around 52K on IDM. It's the same with VISP. We get the same speeds, but the latency is higher, and it redials quite often.

Uh, I'm not sure which modem we use, I think a HSP56 MR (COM 3) modem, not sure, but it used to work fine with IDM :)

Although, when I use VISP, there is a lot of compression in the packets. IDM used to never do that though... and when the electricity is out, I get lower speeds ( around 40k )

I'll PM you my phone number, and also, if you can, can you do a traceroute for me to America and see how much ms it takes to get there with your broadband 256k connection? If you can't, then can anyone here do that? Thanks :)

( Sorry if I didn't give you enough information, I'm not that smart in computers  )

#16 July 19 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Get an external Accorp 56K modem (with Rockwell chipset, not with a Motorolla) one, and then you will see a big difference, trust me.

Or some US Robotics one (though they are pretty expensive).

#17 July 19 2006

Halo

Okay, I'll do that, I might get the US Robotics one... would there be a difference in latency as well?

#18 July 20 2006

teodorgeorgiev

No, there would not be any difference (well, almost). It should improve only link quality (better speed, less disconnects).

Board footer