LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 3 2006

royal_titanium

Lebol ISP

hello
Can anyone check this website: http://www.lebol.net
They are lebanese.
--Lebol is: lebanon online.
Quote (from their website):" Lebanon Online is the first ISP in Lebanon to introduce a revolutionary Web Acceleration technology. Get our Web Accelerator and experience the Lebanon OnLine difference"

Royal_Titanium

#2 July 3 2006

rolf

Re: Lebol ISP

Interesting.
Lots of lebanese quality "marketing" crap though

We pride ourselves that we are able to serve you better and we always look forward to improve our services and add more that are of value to our customers.

okay...

#3 July 4 2006

mahdoum

lol opened the site, didn't like the design then closed it

#4 July 4 2006

zis

I don't know the comp. But what they probably do is make you use a proxy that gzips all the pages before sending them back to you. It is a bit faster but it has many disadvantages. First a proxy slows down your connection, gzipping also takes time. So expect a delay when asking for a page. When you receive a gziped page your browser has to get all the page before displaying it as opposed to displaying part after part as it gets it...
Gzip compresses text up to 90%.. n images might also be converted to jpeg with a poor quality.. But the advantage isn't very significant, coz nowadays most sites will directly send you gzip content. It is transparent, all browsers can receive gziped pages..
All major sites gzip content before sending it, it saves huge bandwidth..

#5 July 4 2006

royal_titanium

aha,  I understand.
Thanks

#6 July 4 2006

rolf

zis wrote:

I don't know the comp. But what they probably do is make you use a proxy that gzips all the pages before sending them back to you. It is a bit faster but it has many disadvantages. First a proxy slows down your connection, gzipping also takes time. So expect a delay when asking for a page. When you receive a gziped page your browser has to get all the page before displaying it as opposed to displaying part after part as it gets it...
Gzip compresses text up to 90%.. n images might also be converted to jpeg with a poor quality.. But the advantage isn't very significant, coz nowadays most sites will directly send you gzip content. It is transparent, all browsers can receive gziped pages..
All major sites gzip content before sending it, it saves huge bandwidth..

I didnt know that most sites gzipped content :)
Yeah anyway with this system you have 0 gain on images or mp3 or sites which are already zipped. So it all depends what you are downloading.

#7 July 5 2006

nuclearcat

VISP have his own much more advanced technology for acceleration(it is our own userspace TCP replacement stack), it is widely used inside our network, and also i advertise and use it before in russia and CIS countries.
You can check globax accelerator in google :)
Maybe we will introduce it soon in lebanon, if it will be required :)

About gzip compression proxy, i can install one, and even few of them, to try on our free dialup, if someone want to test and compare with libol :) sure FOR FREE. :)
Ahh... and it will work without installing any third party software :)

#8 July 5 2006

zis

rolf wrote:

I didnt know that most sites gzipped content :)

Yeah.. Perhaps not most... but more and more sites. It became popular since mod_gzip appeared for Apache. And PHP also has built in gzip capabilities. One of the first major sites to send zipped content is Amazon. The bandwidth gain is huge for sites with lots of traffic.

Anyhow it's all a transparent process for the end user. So there's no way to find out unless you use special tools.

#9 July 6 2006

Halo

Actually, it's much better than you think. Go ahead and try their free trial. First thing about it is that their Dial-Up conncection by itself is much better than IDM's and Terranet's, not sure about VISP, haven't tried that, but the Dial-Up, when connected to my X-Box, has a 450ms Latency and 20/24 ping. Pretty decent.

And browsing with the AcceleNet program is even better. It compresses the content before it actually loads it, if you put the images at low quality, you could be browsing at 450 kbps ( did a speed test ). And not only that, but it also compresses the uploading as well, ( not sure how though, I'm not really geeky )

Anyway, it is surprisingly better than what I thought, and that's probably why I'm using it, but download speeds will stay at 5 kbps.

#10 July 7 2006

nuclearcat

http://80.246.48.40/src/ lebol webmail...
<center><small>Webmail version 1.4.5-1<br />By the Lebol Project Team<br /></small>
which is really squirrelmail :)

Board footer