LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 27 2006

jayinferno

MSN Messenger behind ISA

Hey all

Okay here's the deal. We faced this thing when the new (back then) MSN Messenger 7.5 was out: it didnt work behind ISA2000. Altho the main port 1863 was open in ISA. Now the funny thing was that 7.5 did not work, but the older 7.0 was working without ticking any of the TCP/Http/or any other settings in it. That's until yest at 10.pm when i left my office. (Oh and mind you that i had to downgrade MSN Mess.7.5 to 7.0 on all the other employees who were nagging in the office. I wuz counting on the IT Admin who told me that's he's gonna try to see whats the problem between ISA and MSN7.5 and fix it. ) All was well on MSN7.0 for months and months.

Anyhow, today, MSN 7.0 wasnt even working on all the machines, nor the MSN 7.5. I waited 1/2 day thinkin that maybe it some downtime destined to some local IP's, but nah, the same. So finally i trespassed the IT Admin, checked some blogs, and came up with this: I created a new protocol on ISA, with port 1863 open, and the following ports open:
5004-65535  (UDP)
6010 (Out)
6891-6900 (In and Out)
6901 Out
9000 (In and Out)

We downloaded the new Live Messenger and its working fine, and we tried the old MSN7.0 that was stopped this morning, it wuz working only under one condition, which is to CHECK the TCP box in the advanced connection settings (where we always used to leave all options unchecked before).

I think opening those ports will make all MSN Mess. work in my office. But i dunno, i have a bad feeling about this, suddenly i feel that my ISA is a dumb machine with those port ranges open. What do u think ? oh and did any of u face some MSN mishaps today ?

Yeah i know i talk a lot.. bear with me.. this is major in my daily job, heheh, to talk a lot !

#2 June 27 2006

rolf

Re: MSN Messenger behind ISA

5004-65535  (UDP)

Uh... yeah, that's a lot of open ports.

I dont know I use a proxy for the office so no need to open ports.

Board footer