LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 25 2006

hj88

dsl is going to be limited !!

i have read in the "assafir" newspaper (may 23 ) the price list of the dsl :

128/32 (2gb limit)    256/64 (3gb limit)    512/128(4gb limit) 1024/256(5gb)   hdsl(up to 2.3Mbps)(8gb
home                              35000                     50000                      70000                    115000          300000

companies                       45000                     65000                      85000                    135000          300000

educational institutions     30000                      40000                      60000                    100000          240000

and 500 LL for eatch additional 10 mb!!            and the limit is in both ways which means up+down = the limit

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.assafir.com/iso/oldissues/20 … inance.pdf

Last edited by hj88 (June 8 2006)

#2 May 25 2006

mahdoum

Re: dsl is going to be limited !!

:S That sux, that means around $34 for each extra GB noo.. does hdsl have no limit?

#3 May 25 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Mahdoum,

since 6 months I am explaining it here: the LAYER 1 media CONNECTIVITY SPEED does NOT MEAN Internet speed.

If they put Gigabit fiber link to your house this does not mean that they will give you Gigabit speed to the Internet (the worldwide network).

You will have 1Gbps to the ISP, but not to the Internet.

If they install ADSL2+ specially dedicated for you, then in the very best case you will have 1Mbps up / 22Mbps down (forget the 1.2/24).
But this speed is the speed between you and the DSLAM (and the ISP of course).

The HDSL has limit, of 2-4Mbps let say.

For God sake. Is that me such an idiot, that I am not able to explain this for so many months ???????????????????????????????????????

Damn it... get it here as much easier example:

You have a 5 litres bottle. Your neighbour has a 10 litres mega-bottle. Each of you goes daily to the free-shop to take mineral water for drinking. The goverment has limited amount of water, so they allow only 0.7 litres per day per person. Having a 5 litres bottle and coming
with a 5 litres bottle to the free-shop does not mean that they will feel it to the top and let you go home. Neither does it mean that your neighbour with the 10 litres mega-bottle will take more mineral spring water than you. Kapeesh ?

So, the DSL has one sort of limits, the Internet you will get over this DSL link has QUITE DIFFERENT LIMITS.

Last edited by teodorgeorgiev (May 25 2006)

#4 May 25 2006

mahdoum

teodorgeorgiev I understood your posts when you explained the concept before ;) Nice anecdote though.

I was enquiring about the bandwidth per month limit, and not the upload/download speed limit.

Last edited by mahdoum (May 25 2006)

#5 May 25 2006

hj88

hello teodorgeorgiev

mandoum actually asked me the gb limit and i edited  my post  to add the 8 gb limit for the hdsl  and you saw his reply after i edited my post...
i guess this is the reason of the misunderstanding

#6 May 25 2006

rolf

Are these the final prices?
Enno 1024/256(5gb)  at 115000 ll / month are amazing... compared to the current prices.
When will they start rolling out?

#7 May 25 2006

lcube

amazing? what about the limit

#8 May 25 2006

rolf

lcube wrote:

amazing? what about the limit

Enno 1024/256(5gb)  at 115000... at the same price nowadays you can get about 128/32

5gb sucks it's the size of one fedora linux download... but maybe there are other deals.

See it this way:
today if I want to have more then 32 up I can get a dedicated connection 64 up 256 down at say maybe $ 300 and that is a VERY good deal.

that's 450 000 LL
at that price with dsl I could get 4 1024/256 connections and find a way to make them work in parallel (with Linux), for a theoretical total of 1 mbit upload and 4 megabit download and 20GB traffic limitation.
And yes teodor I know it's bandwidth capacity and not the real transfer speed you get, but with 1 mbit upload you can at LEAST expect 512 kbits upload 90% of the time.

Last edited by rolf (May 25 2006)

#9 May 25 2006

rolf

Teodor nowadays when a customer buys a connection with 256 down bandwidth, he expects 256/8 = about 30 kbytes download speed most of the time.
It's the same thing with adsl, when a customer buys 4mbit adsl he expects 8/4 = 0.5 mbytes/s download speed.

#10 May 26 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Rolf, looks like you still have issues getting me. Let me ask you, what kind of link are you using to connect your network with the provider?
A UTP-5 Ethernet cable?

The network status of your card says 100Mbps full-duplex, correct?  Does it mean that you will be able to download from Internet with 10 megabytes per second ?

Start making difference between CONNECTIVITY (MEDIA) SPEED and Internet speed.

#11 May 26 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

Here we go, The Lebanese government want to milk the internet for us by setting limited monthly bandwith!

High internet speed for low limited monthly bandwith is quite rediculous!

#12 May 26 2006

rolf

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

The network status of your card says 100Mbps full-duplex, correct?  Does it mean that you will be able to download from Internet with 10 megabytes per second ?

No, but how is that relevant here?

#13 May 26 2006

teodorgeorgiev

forget it...

#14 May 26 2006

mahdoum

lol rolf, basically u can connect to the lebanese network at say 1Mb/s, but that doesn't mean you can connect to the world wide web ie internet (which is most websites and stuff you do online) because Lebanon's backend connection to the rest of the world isn't that great....

correct me if i'm wrong teod

#15 May 27 2006

rolf

Teodor until now the advertised speeds have always corresponded to the internet bandwidth.
For exaple when you buy GDS "Broadband 512" You expect a connection speed to the internet of 512KB/s and this is what you get for downloads most of the time.
Why are they going to change this with DSL now and advertise only the link speed??? I dont think so.

Last edited by rolf (May 27 2006)

#16 May 27 2006

teodorgeorgiev

The issue is, you were thinking that if they install for you HDSL (indeed, SHDSL) instead of ADSL, you would get higher speeds :)

#17 May 27 2006

mahdoum

were we? lol never thought that

#18 May 28 2006

nuclearcat

From globalcom website
" High-Speed Internet access up to 512 Kbps dedicated to residential users;
  several plans are designed to meet the market needs in terms of
  bandwidth, starting at 128 Kbps"
Means it is not guaranteed. When any network reach level of profitability, it start giving real speed, not like it is now - burst always is available. Depends how is hungry for money management of ISP and how close they are to profit level, you will see difference in burst availability. I think if you will try utilise your link 100% 24/24 , you will see how it is working :)

#19 June 8 2006

hj88

#20 February 27 2007

Strider

This is why I am not afraid about my buisiness I supply internet 24h a day no limit

#21 February 27 2007

Strider

if u have a virus ur limit will end in 36hrs

#22 February 27 2007

hj88

strider

what is the name of your isp , what packages you have, and what is your coverage?

thnx

Last edited by hj88 (February 27 2007)

Board footer