LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 8 2006

mir

Testing performance

Hello guys,
I am working on a Database Software
I want to test the performance of my application on different hardware configurations and specs

Is there any tool that can make my computer virtually run at lower specs so i can get the feel on performance.
or something to simulate extreme working conditions...

I donno if you got what i meant :S, hope i made myself clear.

In general what testing strategies do u guys use ?

Halla2 now i am still at an early stage in my application.. but planing the next steps 

thanks for ur reply

#2 April 8 2006

mahdoum

Re: Testing performance

the best way is to allow users to beta test your application etc

#3 April 8 2006

rolf

Well depending on the board, you can go in the BIOS and slow down the cpu.
You can also launch another program that uses cpu and put your program at low priority. That could simulate a slow cpu. I use "GNU chess" it's a chess game when I launch it it will use 50% cpu...
I dont know how to simulate a slow memory... and I dont know if a tool like you mentionned exists, maybe it does...

#4 April 8 2006

battikh

you could use a virtual machine like VMware. With it you can choose what hardware to use. I know you can choose the exact amount of RAM you want to use, but i'm not sure about the possibility to choose the processor clock speed...

Last edited by battikh (April 8 2006)

#5 April 8 2006

Yes such software do exist.

Depending on your IDE.  In Visual Studion 2005, one of the verions lets you test your application.  Microsoft has a program that lets you manipulate the enviroment.  So basicaly it tricks the PC into thinking you have a certain ram, cpu etc...I just can't remember the name of it. Its similar to battikh's VMware.

#6 April 9 2006

nuclearcat

Only real hardware can show results, because not all hw specs opened. For example you can emulate storage speed, CPU clock, etc.
But for example some Via boards not capable to process too much interrupts/sec, and for example speed on SATA drive with enabled TCQ is difficult to predict, it can vary even between different firmware revisions, and for example you can slowdown cpu, but you cannot make different style of processing low level commands. So you can get real(not average) results and bottlenecks only on real hardware.

#7 April 12 2006

KingRhye

Hehe ok, come to my place, we'll run it on my 333MHz Celeron desktop kambyouter

#8 April 12 2006

rolf

KingRhye wrote:

Hehe ok, come to my place, we'll run it on my 333MHz Celeron desktop kambyouter

I dont recommend you that. Last time we tried that the computer spitted out the cd in small pieces all around the room then started to produce a black smoke and we had to use the teffayeh to stop the fire.

#9 April 12 2006

KingRhye

Haha, no worries man, my computer has survived many wars. I'll show ya a pic of it soon (beze2 3ayno la barra).

#10 April 12 2006

KingRhye

Here ya go:
9c6a97b2.jpg

#11 April 12 2006

battikh

oh, it is still better than my 550MHz celeron...at least we can see that the speaker wires are still connected to the speaker, and i guess your on/off switch is still working... I had to install an external push-button that is scotched to the case to be able to turn it on

#12 April 13 2006

mir

the Ultimate Performance Testing kambuter

I dont recommend you that. Last time we tried that the computer spitted out the cd in small pieces all around the room then started to produce a black smoke and we had to use the teffayeh to stop the fire.

Oh!!! ... Thanks for the warning ..

Haha, no worries, my computer has survived many wars.

Well it won't survive Me .. or my cheesy, bad coding techniques lol

550MHz ,330MHz.. oh a true processing power

#13 April 13 2006

KingRhye

Btw that pic is like 4 years old  halla2 the pc looks much worse, for ex. the old cpu fan burnt out so I replaced it with a really oversized fan from an old power supply, it's freaky how it's hooked. Anyway it's a very stable system, never crashes or anything, although it's overloaded with running software, and I still welcome any application benchmark or debugging, 3a mas2ouliyteh.

Board footer