LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 14 2006

mir

Gmail problem turns into suspicious!

Hi guys, sometimes on some computers.
when i open gmail.google.com and login
instead of redirecting me to my gmail account, it will ask to download the following:

file name: mail
file type :     
form: mail.google.com

needless to say that the download of the file won't redirect you to anywhere...
(tried it + deleted the file later), opening it will leave u on a blank  page

i usually do pifft.. pkh... ouf and move to another computer. and it works fine
i thought that the file contains my gmail data, took it home and tried to play with it,but no intresting results :(

today.. had the same problem, but there was no other pc running in the net cafe, and i was in a hurry so i tried opening it with explorer,without downloading it first
but this time,it poped some sex banner, i quickly closed, then i returned to my gmail
i found that it loaded.

i checked the pc i am using, it is not loaded with viruses, it is [relatively] clean system...

so anyone guys has been having this problem,Just be cautious 
how to deal with this?
I am starting to be more worried about Gmail Vulns and exploits,so it will be nice if u guys post the gmail exploits or hacks :S
and i am wondering why gmail is still in its beta version?

#2 January 14 2006

rolf

Re: Gmail problem turns into suspicious!

No idea what this could be. Some sort of spyware on the system I guess.

#3 January 14 2006

mahdoum

most probably spyware on the system, never had any problems with gmail

#4 January 14 2006

Charly

mir, i had the exact same problem when i first started using gmail.. u get a small file to download when u access Gmail's website.. it usually happens when u're using Internet Explorer.. It works PERFECTLY when u're using firefox. needless to say that microsoft are trying their best now to disallow users to access gmail.. so i guess thats the answer =D

#5 January 14 2006

mahdoum

ehm. as I last remember gmail came out after IE 6.0 was out, and i've personally not downloaded any updates and have no problems? could it be with your settings?

#6 January 17 2006

mir

needless to say that microsoft are trying their best now to disallow users to access gmail.. so i guess thats the answer

lool i don't think that this is a  conspiracy from microsoft.. cuz if some geek proves it, then there will be legal issues with microsoft again .

well i think that maybe it is something in the explorer...or maybe a bad code from google programmers

Last edited by mir (January 17 2006)

#7 January 17 2006

mezin

microsoft is going bankrput because of firefox eh ya charly ? come on man

#8 January 18 2006

samer
Admin

No, but statistics show that A LOT (I mean A LOT) of surfers are dumping IE for Firefox (and should I enumerate the 101 reasons to use Firefox over IE?)
marketshare-700x400.png

#9 January 18 2006

mahdoum

ehm does it matter? IE still has the bigger part of the market, plus it has shown that firefox isn't as popular as before (ie it has reached saturation, everyone who wants it has it).

#10 January 18 2006

Charly

unforgiven wrote:

man, thats not what i meant at all...microsoft wont ever go bankrupt  anyways, u cant deny that microsoft try their best to make internet surfers use only their products... for ex, hotmail added 250 mb of email storage when gmail was released. i once read an article too that bill gates paid Adobe millions of bucks to stop their Photoshop for Linux product..

#11 January 19 2006

samer
Admin

IE still has the bigger part of the market,

duh, What's the only browser installed on your PC by default ?

#12 January 19 2006

mezin

samer my point is that they are not THAT desperate to get people to use internet explorer, i'm not saying they are not trying.  plus i meant gmail and not firefox but since you brought it up

the funny thing is i started using firefox as soon as gmail was causing problems on IE ....

#13 January 19 2006

mahdoum

opera wo bas

#14 January 20 2006

samer
Admin

samer my point is that they are not THAT desperate to get people to use internet explorer

*ahem*

#15 January 22 2006

mezin

linking me to some joke thread is your idea of proof ?

#16 January 23 2006

nuclearcat

Gmail Mis.delivered?
Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Sunday January 22, @03:22PM
from the new-excuses-for-not-getting-an-email dept.
  An anonymous reader writes "Google doesn't make many mistakes but when it does, boy, are they doozies! The latest is that Gmail doesn't care about periods in usernames. So mail sent to anonymous.coward@gmail.com is also delivered to anonymouscoward@gmail.com, even though these are two separate mail accounts. Google admits Gmail doesn't see periods, but no word on a fix yet." Update: As may users have pointed out Ars has since corrected the story, stating that the original submitter was mistaken and the email was just improperly addressed.

#17 January 23 2006

samer
Admin

I think this problem only occurs for early gmail beta testers only, not sure though.

#18 January 23 2006

mir

I think this topic is turning into a never ending fight

well i like firefox, use it more  often
i only use explorer when i want to test that bug that everyone has been talking about 
Anno let us face it guys, IE has lot more bugs, of course firefox will when it is more popular (then i will use some new un-exploited stuff)
and i think that as a geek  (if u are one) ur duty is to investigate all the other solutions, to find out by ur own the best one to use,and u don't have to force every other user to agree on ur choice
i don't think u should stick to the default thing on ur pc

#19 January 24 2006

samer
Admin

-------- flaming stops here.

now, back on topic. Are you still seeing these odd ads mir?

Board footer