LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 10 2006

WizaRd

ADSL fees and more details

Hey guys, i phoned IDM today and it took me 2-3 phone calls to get some precious information (not sure if they are posted somewhere on the web)

prices as as follows including VAT:

128K - $28/month
256K - $35/month
512K - $50/month

1M - not set yet
2M - for companies and above $150/month

installation fee $100

as for the upload, they didnt fix it yet but i got a confirmation that the 512K is gonna get 64K upload

I was also told that the connection is shared up to 30 . i have no clue what that means because i dont know much about internet and how it works on the other end.. so can someone tell me what does shared up to 30 persons mean ? will it still be faster than dial-up for internet games ?

(oh and by the way, i told them i have already an ADSL modem i bought when i was in Dubai, they said installation fee will be around ~$50 )

#2 January 10 2006

mahdoum

Re: ADSL fees and more details

yay prices seems pretty good, almost too good to belive, it's gonna take around 5 months for adsl to get to Tripoli. The thing with adsl when u download 2 things, one is at a high speed and the other a lower speed. Plus the closer you are to the telephone provider (where your line comes from) the better speed you get.

#3 January 10 2006

WizaRd

no, the service is going to be all over lebanon at ONCE.

all you need is to have the ADSL modem (which is why if people dont have it they will have to wait 3-4weeks to get it from these ISPs)

ADSL modem is pretty much like normal dial-up modem , 1USB to the PC, 1input for LINE 1 output for telephone :)

so if you have the modem = u can get the service (starting 15-30th march 2006 - yet to be confirmed)

bass i still need clarifications about the shared  up to 30

#4 January 10 2006

rolf

oh hell that good :)
Good news, things have been moving at the top of the ladder, finally!
Good thing I did not buy VISP's offer.

#5 January 10 2006

naregkar

Woow! After a long wait, hopefully everything works well...

What's that "shared-up" thing?

#6 January 10 2006

darkstar

Wow i never expected the prices to be that good.. any news on the download limit?

#7 January 10 2006

samer
Admin

in idm's faq page they say they have no limitations on downloads and uploads. :)

#8 January 11 2006

Charly

wow amazing, im paying $44 now for a shitty 64 connection with no VOIP and such... i'll be getting the 512 for sure =D... just 1 question tho, how much does the modem cost? around 40 bucks?

#9 January 11 2006

teodorgeorgiev

I will say 5 short remarks to the above posts:

1. "Stupidness has no borders"
2. "If you are poor, it means that you are stupid. There are no exceptions to this rule, though everyone thinks he is one"
3. SInce the price of an 1Mbps (2 times x 512Kbps) costs about $3000 at least (usually ~$4000) to the ISP, how then they can sell  you 512Kbps for $50... ... I think you miss your first year in the school, guys :)
4. 512Kbps is about 55KB per second speed, without considering the PPPoA overhead of the ADSL link. Lets say that the connection is shared by even 20, not 30 people. 55KB / 20 = less than 3KB per second download. So, the "shitty" 64Kbps connection that Mr. Charly is getting will soon turn into a wonder (64Kbps = 7-8KB per second).

5. You guys are giving me hope. Even if tomorrow I hit my head in a wall and my mind to loose all my experience and knowledge, I can go to Lebanon and open a business by giving gold mountain of promises, I will make an excellent living. I will promise a Mercedes SL500 for $2000.
Really thanks for the hope :)

#10 January 11 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
Stop nitpicking.

#11 January 11 2006

rolf

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

I will say 5 short remarks to the above posts:

1. "Stupidness has no borders"

OK, although it's "stupidity" not "stupideness"

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

2. "If you are poor, it means that you are stupid. There are no exceptions to this rule, though everyone thinks he is one"

Can you prove it?

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

3. SInce the price of an 1Mbps (2 times x 512Kbps) costs about $3000 at least (usually ~$4000) to the ISP, how then they can sell  you 512Kbps for $50... ... I think you miss your first year in the school, guys :)

Maybe coz the prices have been dropping lately and the gouvernement has decided to realign his price policies, wich means that the 1mps will now cost less.

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

4. 512Kbps is about 55KB per second speed, without considering the PPPoA overhead of the ADSL link. Lets say that the connection is shared by even 20, not 30 people. 55KB / 20 = less than 3KB per second download. So, the "shitty" 64Kbps connection that Mr. Charly is getting will soon turn into a wonder (64Kbps = 7-8KB per second).

Mhhh.. food for thought... yet it's "only" double the usual sharing ratio, no?

teodorgeorgiev wrote:

5. You guys are giving me hope. Even if tomorrow I hit my head in a wall and my mind to loose all my experience and knowledge, I can go to Lebanon and open a business by giving gold mountain of promises, I will make an excellent living. I will promise a Mercedes SL500 for $2000.
Really thanks for the hope :)

Maybe.

Welcome back :)

BTW I know whatever IDM says their connection will be crappy, they have been having so many problems lately, and the quality of their bandwidth is... well it sucks.

I have seen all sorts of problems with them, and obviously they dont know what they're doing. It doesnt take geniuses to run their system. Give me enough time and documentation and I will know it inside out and will be able to run their network and fix their problems. Yet they still manage to regularly screw up.

Probably because their "engineers" are underpaid due to the lack of revenue, and all good brains have fleed to other countries where telecom is in a better state (basically any country is better than Lebanon in this).

Last edited by rolf (January 11 2006)

#12 January 11 2006

rolf

Flyingwizard wrote:

I was also told that the connection is shared up to 30 . i have no clue what that means )

That's the sharing ratio, 1/30
that means the 512 k will be allocated to 30 users. wich means that up to 30 will be allocated the same 512 k bandwidth. Well usually sharing ratios are around 10 i think... 30 is pretty bad... it means if suddenly all the users decided to download files at the same time, your speed will be cut down to 512/30 = 17kbits = uhhh about 2 KB/s. But that will probably never happen.

#13 January 11 2006

teodorgeorgiev

Rolf,

think once again. If the government has decided to drop the international bandwidth prices (which they have not done), why only IDM is taking advantage of it? :)

What about Terra, Cyberia and the others? Or maybe the government has decreased the price merely for IDM ;)

Keep dreaming. At least dreams are free.

Do not get me wrong, my dream is not to bring Lebanon back in the Cave era.

But do not expect much from "ISPs" like IDM and Cyberia. Instead of "fighting" for "market" by providing faster Internet at lower prices, what they do is trying to bring their competitors down and move them off the road, so they can freely sell at much more expensive prices without any competition.

1. IDM is doing this with stupid and easy to block flood attacks from Korea/Japan and Canada
2. Cyberia has blocked any mail coming from VISP. No idea why, they do not reply at all to give a reasonable explanation.

So, as you see the goal of these companies is not to sell cheaper, but the opposite.

If you are expecting some revolution in the quality/prices, expect it better from Terra than IDM or Cyberia. I won't say all the time: VISP, only VISP, VISP for life. It makes people tired, me too :)

Everything above is my own personal opinion.

#14 January 11 2006

mahdoum

IDM are the only compan to bring in ADSL into lebanon for now

#15 January 12 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
Nope, Terranet is going to bring this type of connection too.

teodorgeorgiev, it is really stupid to judge how IDM will implement ADSL in lebanon Price/quality when there is still 3 months to launch the service.

Why you don't get your ass working and deliver your ADSL connection to the area where I live so I can take advantage of your connection and the gaming extravaganza you guys are going to deliver

#16 January 12 2006

WizaRd

Ok guys, I phoned IDM today and got it all corrected.

The shared up to 30 is not on the kb/s damnit.. come on people dont be stupid, how can ADSL be as fast as a 16K modem ?
The sector for every "mouhafaza" is divided into 30 areas, which means for example, antelias and rabieh make one area... b3eddet and bremmena make another area and so on...

Connection  speed will depend on the server you are trying to connect to, hence your 512K will be downloading files at a speed of 40-60Kb/s.

Lantencies for online games look promising (at least we'll have 250-400ms on WoW)

yalla keep your fingers crossed

(by the way , ADSL modem cost me $35 in Dubai)

#17 January 12 2006

rolf

Flyingwizard wrote:

The shared up to 30 is not on the kb/s damnit.. come on people dont be stupid, how can ADSL be as fast as a 16K modem ?

YOU said the connection was "shared up to 30", and I went out of my way to explain to your heighness what a "sharing ratio" is. And I never said it would be fast as a 16K modem, I just gave you a "worst case scenario" based on YOUR info.
Read my post again, einstein, maybe you'll understand. You might have to read it more than once, coz it's a bit complicated for you.

Last edited by rolf (January 12 2006)

#18 January 12 2006

antokh

relax guys
i'm enjoying my super ultra high speed cable connection here in boston... for only 29.99 $ /month
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

#19 January 12 2006

antokh

euuh downloads sometimes reach a peak of  800k/sec ... depending on what server i connect to, of course... :D

#20 January 12 2006

Dark_angel
Banned

^^^
What's the purpose of your post?

#21 January 12 2006

teodorgeorgiev

FlyingWizard, you really have a very hazy idea of how Internet works.
ADSL, wireless, ATM, Ethernet UTP/FTP/STP, commutated modem, FDDI...

All this are layer 1 transmitting media. Their capacity shows how much data they can transfer at maximum. Let say, the usual UTP ethernet cable (category 5e) can support 1Gbps (YES, rude said - 1000Mbps). However this does not mean that if you have an ethernet cable connection to the ISP with a Gigabit ethernet card, you will download with 125MB per second. And the reason of this is not only because your hard drive can't handle it.

Connectivity is NOT equal to Internet access.

If you are around Doura, I can arrange an ADSL link with 24Mbps capacity. But this does not mean that you will get 24Mbps speed to the Internet. The speed will depend on how much you will limit you on. We can put it even 32Kbps (4KB per second). So what?

So, FlyingWizard, you are flying too high :)
Come closer to the earth :)

=============================================

Antokh, your post is really senseless and stupid. Clever people usually brag merely on their own achievements. Do you have any merit for getting this speed? Are you some of the engineers supporting the providers network? Or maybe you have invented the DSL technology?

Btw, my uncle was saying something: "If you are a little stupid bastard here, whereever you go, you will be still a little stupid bastard" :)

#22 January 12 2006

samer
Admin

guys guys guys! limit the flaming :twisted:

#23 January 12 2006

mahdoum

lol ADSL is the devil in disguise, any topic that has ADSL in it turns into flaming, Antokh's post was supposed to be funny, and i see no reason to mock him. :s

#24 January 13 2006

antokh

Dark_angel wrote:

^^^
What's the purpose of your post?

i was only trying to point out:
1- the excessive costs for ADSL in leb, IDM is totally in control of the prices obviously, and i doubt their connection will be that good.
2- the need to have good cable connection instead of the whole ADSL thing. this technology will be obsolete in the few years to come while it's only being introduced to lebanon
3- how a real fast connection should be.

sorry for not mentioning all that, but i assumed it would make sense

#25 January 23 2006

dubai-leb

... this is excellent, its even cheaper than dubai.
256 over here is for almost 40$
when ADSL was first introduced in dubai it was for around 70$ for a 256kbps. So i guess its a very good deal...

but guys, are u sure its ADSL... and not some other type of DSL (like "DSL lite" for ex.)

Last edited by dubai-leb (January 23 2006)

Board footer