LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 6 2005

antokh

hi from boston

hey people , i've found this site not a long time ago. i'm originally from zahle living in boston.
one of the main reasons i've registered here is because i need to start my web design company here in boston. so for all of you designers who want to get web design projects, please either pm me links to work of yours or post them here (don't forget to mention your rates, and be reasonable!).

anyway, i'm doing computer science right now, i still have 2 years until i graduate and damn it i can't wait for that.
thanks in advance for the warm welcome :)

#2 December 6 2005

rolf

Re: hi from boston

Ahlaaa
I have about 3 years of experience in PHP + MySQL, Javascript and HTML.
If you present a project to me I can give you a quote.
I'll send you some info soon.

There's a great web designer on this forum, I think his name is walid... not sure. Hope he'll show up.

#3 December 6 2005

antokh

hey thanks rolf.
see i'm relatively new to the web design world, i only know a little html. plz send me quotes, or estimates... whatever...
plus i need to see samples.

@anyone interested, please pm me in case the modos don't allow chatting about business openly in the forum(even though i find it a gr8 thing)

#4 December 6 2005

karim soubra

welcome and enjoy

#5 December 6 2005

Parabola

antokh: I know you :)

Welcome bro

#6 December 6 2005

antokh

ahahahahah parabola!! are you the download guru around here too???
hehe nice to know there's family around :)

#7 December 6 2005

Parabola

Nah I am not.. Shtt don't say download in here...

Between I work in a graphic design company :)

#8 December 6 2005

antokh

ok, answer those seperatly:
1-do you do web designs?
2-do you do graphic designs?
3-are you interested in working for me?
4-kifak?

#9 December 6 2005

rolf

hey thanks rolf.
see i'm relatively new to the web design world, i only know a little html. plz send me quotes, or estimates... whatever...
plus i need to see samples.

@anyone interested, please pm me in case the modos don't allow chatting about business openly in the forum(even though i find it a gr8 thing)

You can already see this site:

http://www.tehini.com

I did everything, from the artwork to the javascript and html.

I did javascript, HTML and PHP coding for this site:

http://www.dergham.com

Graphic designers would gave me the design as a photoshop file and I would transform it into a web site. I also wrote from scratch a complete backend for the above site in PHP, you can login with a username and password then you can upload pictures, change the title of the pictures, upload thumbnails, etc... all this with a clean interface, but I can't give you the login info :) I'll need to make a copy of the site and give you the access to that... i cannot give you access to the company website.

I did other work in PHP, but mosly for data processing (not websites).

#10 December 6 2005

antokh

cool man cool.
can you tell me how much you charged for each project?
i haven't checked them in depth, but your designs are pretty neat.
also plz tell me how much time it took you to do each one.
i know lol lots of questions, but that's how things go... take it as your interview lol

#11 December 6 2005

Parabola

[Antokh, do it in PM before MR.Admin gets mad ]

#12 December 6 2005

samer
Admin

hehe nah, ... you can discuss business here. I just don't allow warez/illegal stuff publicly.

@bola: wleh! weyn mon image de marque? :lol:

#13 December 6 2005

antokh

thanks for welcoming me admin hehehehe
you interested?

#14 December 6 2005

Parabola

LOL, it's funny how you recruit people antokh. Haha!

Yeah I don't support warez/illegal stuff either  [Right antokh?]

#15 December 6 2005

antokh

ahemmmm

#16 December 6 2005

darkstar

hope u enjoy the forums antokh ;)

#17 December 7 2005

rolf

cool man cool.
i know lol lots of questions, but that's how things go... take it as your interview lol

Thanks
For a site like tehini.com , I'd charge
$200 one time fee for the design
$30 per javascript animation
$25 per page

So the above site would have costed:
design                                                       $200
image scrolling script on the mainpage         $30
javascript menu                                         $30
5 pages (5x$25)                                         $125
TOTAL                                                       $385

That's the price I'd give to a client now.

In reality I charged less because it was my first website, and I cared more about having something to show than cashing money.

It took me about 2 month to complete, and I lost track on how many hours I worked on it. That's an awful amount of time, but again I lacked the necessary experience to complete it faster.

#18 December 7 2005

mahdoum

hey welcome to the site :)

#19 December 7 2005

antokh

cool man cool.

Thanks
For a site like tehini.com , I'd charge
$200 one time fee for the design
$30 per javascript animation
$25 per page

So the above site would have costed:
design                                                       $200
image scrolling script on the mainpage         $30
javascript menu                                         $30
5 pages (5x$25)                                         $125
TOTAL                                                       $385

That's the price I'd give to a client now.

In reality I charged less because it was my first website, and I cared more about having something to show than cashing money.

It took me about 2 month to complete, and I lost track on how many hours I worked on it. That's an awful amount of time, but again I lacked the necessary experience to complete it faster.

thanks a lot rolf.
hmm how much would it take you now to make a 5 page site similar to the ones you have?
to say 2 months would be a little ridiculous since i'm opening a business and not doing a freelancer project if you see what i mean. it would be a bad image to say 2 months since that would give a newbish impression to the client.
one tip to everybody out there: it is not the end product that matters, it is how you have marketting skills.
99% of engineering is not about engineering a software engineer told me, it is all about marketting, packaging, and the professional image!

thanks a lot rolf for taking your time, i'll keep you updated. got to work now... so i'll post later

#20 December 7 2005

rolf

Right now, I can safely say 1 month maximum, and I should be able to hold a 2 weeks deadline.
The thing that takes the most time with me is the design, not the programming, because I'm no graphic designer. If the design (the look, the layout, the colors, logos, etc...) is already done, it'll spare me a lot of time.

You're right, marketing is a big part of everything. You may be the best designer in the world... but what's the use of it if you have no clients!

#21 December 7 2005

antokh

You're right, marketing is a big part of everything. You may be the best designer in the world... but what's the use of it if you have no clients!

i was referring to marketting as someone who is smart enough to make his client believe all the crap he's telling him :P

If the design (the look, the layout, the colors, logos, etc...) is already done, it'll spare me a lot of time.

are you talking about templates?
i am planning on buying templates for re-selling, but this part i might be able to do alone.
i want others to do customized websites.

may i suggest you lower your fares , that's because i might have you work on many projects, rather than just one and then say byebye...

i might have you work on many projects simultaneously ( allah ierzou2), can you do that too or do you already have a full-time job or are busy with other activities?

by the way, this is not a l 'you are hired' statement, i am just trying to figure out what works best for me.

so all you other designers, you can compete with rolf... maybe give me lower quotes?
oh man i'm greedy.... but it's all business.

rold man, it's is very much appreciated that you're taking your time to give me details.
cheers guys~~

#22 December 7 2005

rolf

No, problem, I can lower my fares for you, say about 25% on the client prices.

I'm not referring to templates, but photoshop images for example, or high resolution images of the design. Graphic designers can create a design in photoshop (or any other software - but photoshop is preferable), and I'll transform it to HTML.

I am not employed full time, so I can put a couple of hours aside every day.

Board footer